Recently retired IMPD Officer victim of robbery, shoots suspect, possible lesson

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    “I ran after him because we weren’t sitting too far from the door,” the retired officer told Fox59.

The foot chase went out into the parking lot, where Kilbride jumped into a car that had been left running.
    “And the car started toward me and that’s when I felt my life was in jeopardy,” he said.

Assuming no charges are filed against the former offcier by the prosecutor, I would think this is an encounter to learn from.

Full story at link below.

Retired IMPD Officer shoots robbery suspect during confrontation | Fox 59

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    When was his life in danger? He stated he moved out of the way and fired from the side into the vehicle. He needs to go to jail....sorry. We would be charged, so should he.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It would be if any of us peon's did it.

When was his life in danger? He stated he moved out of the way and fired from the side into the vehicle. He needs to go to jail....sorry. We would be charged, so should he.

100% not true. There is local case law that states otherwise. I've seen the cases. Hell, I've taken a few of the reports.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not Marion Co but just south, this guy pursuing some robbers was neither arrested not charged after firing at the back of the escaping vehicle. This sort of thing is the reason that I believe that the County Prosecutor election is about the most important vote you cast. Unfortunately, many don't even bother to figure out who is running or to encourage good candidates.

Pharmacist recalls armed robbery at store after suspects? arrests | Fox 59

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Not to get on a :soapbox: but Eat, I respectfully disagree with your statement and here is why. Several folks here have a Us vs them mentality in the public vs the Police. Several make statements such as yours. That negativity is simply not a fair thing to push and most of the stories of home owner X getting in trouble are exaggerated. In fact about all of them exceeded the law a lot for a prosecutor to file charges.
    As Denny mentioned Indiana is VERY self defense friendly. I have seen several cases where the private citizen was not charged. I also personally know of a specific case about 15 years ago in Vigo county where the home owner shot and killed the robber/burglar fleeing away from him and his house when he was shot and NO charges were filed.

While yes a couple Police might have the wrong idea on what Police work really is about. There is a difference between an Officer getting in ones feelings or being an a^& and one that actually violates a true civil rights issue. There is recourse for both however being a rude a&* clown is not against the law and those type of Officers are the same way towards everyone LEO or not, so it's not just the public some people are just a holes.

The blanket statement of "We would have gotten in trouble for X,Y or Z" is no different than say an anti gunner making a statement across the board because a handgun permit holder or two did something stupid and then labels all of them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Saw a case last year where a civilian shot at two unarmed suspects as they fled. No charges. One of my own cases where civilian shot at fleeing suspect. No charges.

Some folks should fact check before they start the us v them BS.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    There is no need for facts here for some. He could have been ran over by naked clowns throwing puppies out the windows while they ripped tags off mattresses and still be wrong. How dare he defend himself, He clearly was violating their rights and militarizing himself. And we just can't have that…….

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It's human nature to make up facts when you don't know the truth. For years people believed the sun was hauled across the sky by some dude with a chariot. The facts that they had was the sun moved...everything else was the most likely conclusion based on the information that they had. Part of the issue with the "...yeah, but if a non-cop did it..." crowd is that they don't have those stories as they don't make the news. Ignorance is no excuse but maybe it would help if the cops gave a few examples. Though I could give myself carpal tunnel just covering the "iffy" non-cop shoots from the last five years, Here are two of the more odd ones:

Cops are in a shoot out with a bad guy on the east side. In mid shoot out an intoxicated man runs out of the a nearby bar, throws his beer on the ground, pulls his colt python, gets in a weaver stance between the cops and the bad guy and starts cracking off rounds... No handcuffs...several WTFs?!?!! from the popo. If that was an INGO member here I'd like you to sound off and explain what you were thinking. It was really dumb at the time but hilarious looking back.

In a news reported "home invasion robbery" on the "north east side" a father of four shot at an invader with a shotgun. This event was actually a drug dealer robbing another drug dealer. The shooter was a "serious violent felon" in possession of a handgun. He went to jail for a host of other things but wasn't charged for being a felon with a gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom