Question for Hoosier with license traveling into Ohio.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If a Hoosier with the carry license/permit travels into Ohio how does he/she stay legal?

I know Ohio doesn't recognize the IN so if a guy puts his carry pistol in his trunk is he ok?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Short answer: To transport in a vehicle, unload it and lock it in your trunk. Once you park, you can get it out, load it up and carry it openly while walking.

Rinse and repeat every time you need to travel by vehicle.

For a more detailed answer, search this section for OHIO and you'll find dozens of threads with more specifics.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
    (A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.
    (B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
    (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways: Note: this section does not apply to license holders. See 2923.16-F(5) below.
    (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight

Hope this helps. Alternatively you could get a Utah permit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And don't forget in ohio the no guns signs carry the weight of law. You don't get politely asked to leave or trespassed, you (can) get arrested.

Another +1 for the Utah (or Florida, which has training waivers for those with military experience, hunter education, and nra training credentials)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Have it on you or next to you loaded as you travel (at the speed limit) as fast as you can through that **** hole state with state cops that love to revenue the **** out of you. As long as you don't stop and get out your legal. Now if you get pulled over you have to immediately inform them

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I did a little google searching and it doesn't look like I can get the Utah permit online. I suppose I'll have to take the time and attend a class.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Have it on you or next to you loaded as you travel (at the speed limit) as fast as you can through that **** hole state with state cops that love to revenue the **** out of you. As long as you don't stop and get out your legal. Now if you get pulled over you have to immediately inform them
    Can you sight your source on this. You can do that in Illinois but I'm sure that is not the law in Ohio.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Can you sight your source on this. You can do that in Illinois but I'm sure that is not the law in Ohio.

I'll second Lonehoosier on this. AFAIK to OC without a permit in OH you have to transport the gun unloaded and out of reach of the passengers. Sitting down in your vehicle with it still holstered at least is considered "concealing" it. I dont think it simply sitting next to you is any different in the eyes of the law over there. For better or worse, your car is no different in the eyes of the law than an overshirt or jacket. (per a thread here as I recall)

You might also have to unload the pistol AND magazine(s) for it to be considered transport ready without a permit.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I'll second Lonehoosier on this. AFAIK to OC without a permit in OH you have to transport the gun unloaded and out of reach of the passengers. Sitting down in your vehicle with it still holstered at least is considered "concealing" it. I dont think it simply sitting next to you is any different in the eyes of the law over there. For better or worse, your car is no different in the eyes of the law than an overshirt or jacket. (per a thread here as I recall)

You might also have to unload the pistol AND magazine(s) for it to be considered transport ready without a permit.
    You no longer have to do that under the new law.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I believe you can do that in any state as long as the state you start and are finishing in allow you to carry the gun. I thought it was federal law? If not sorry. I definitely am not trying to provide false info. I've traveled like this myself

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I believe you can do that in any state as long as the state you start and are finishing in allow you to carry the gun. I thought it was federal law? If not sorry. I definitely am not trying to provide false info. I've traveled like this myself
    Even under the federal law the gun has to be unloaded and not readily accessible to you. I do understand what you are saying, we all have tough decisions to make for are selves but we need to make sure we understand the laws.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The Virginia license is accepted in Ohio. Also, there seems to be fewer out-of-state people going for it, compared to Utah, so it may be faster to obtain.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You can get the virginia online in about 10 minutes. The Utah is harder to get, but more versatile. It's a coin toss for how much people are going to use it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I did a little google searching and it doesn't look like I can get the Utah permit online. I suppose I'll have to take the time and attend a class.

Attending a certified class is one of the requirements for Utah. No way around it. Four boring hours.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How do you do it in 10 minutes?

This looks like it will take longer than 10 minutes: Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

There was a webiste that linked had an embedded 45 minute youtube video that walked you through everything. You didn't even have to watch the video you could just take the 10 or 11 question test. I was skeptical and didn't proceed much further than listening to the video.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I think I mentioned it before, but Florida is just as good as Utah (only one or two states difference between them regarding reciprocity), and you dont have to attend a specific training class if you have proof of one of the following:

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy
    of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
    • any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or
    a similar agency in another state;
    • any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
    junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
    certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department
    of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special
    deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by
    the National Rifle Association.

Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
    • documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
    • active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with
    a firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service
    signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which
    identifies you and provides your date of entry for your current active-duty period;
    • former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Top Bottom