Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I still OC my 1851 every day. MANY compliments and conversations started because of it.

First though, he failed. Cap and ball IS a firearm under state law. Second, he should have known the statute saying it is exempt from license. Third, prosecuter should have known and dismissed as soon as HE seen it was C&B, just as if a valid license had been presented.

So many fishy things here, I'm with Kirk, I have my doubts as to validy of story.

And I still haven't gotten that license yet, been served a hamburger by a sheriff in one county and shook hands with my sheriff after he gave my kids some "Jr deputy" badge stickers, never been questioned by a LEO officer or asked for my pink slip.

EDIT: I was gonna search Wesley T. Hartman on mycase.IN.gov but site is currently down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So many fishy things here, I'm with Kirk, I have my doubts as to validy of story

Something is not right. Not accusing no one of nothing, just that this is wrong on many different levels.

I want to see a cause number. I know PDs all over the state from the work I do for IPDC. Heck, I might do a PCR myself for pro bono if this checks out as a true miscarriage.

Kirk: "ahora mismo"?

Right now/immediately in Spanish.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    hat black-powder reproductions weren’t considered firearms as I understood it, but I didn’t push it too hard

Ummm, what? So he talked to the police but NOT about the fact that he was not committing a crime?

Something is wrong here. Cops all carry the little code books from IPAC.

If he is running his baconhole, why do the cops (apparently there are 2) not go to the glovebox and look at the IPAC codebook?

My rights were read, and I was arrested and placed in the back of the cruiser. A

His rights are read? Why? They just chucked him in the back of the scout car.

Is this being written because it was on Blue Bloods?

I probably could because I was only being charged with a Class A Misdemeanor, Carrying a Firearm without a Permit.

What? Even a rookie with an FTO knows that the license is only needed for handguns, modern handguns.

They set a “compliance hearing” for two weeks after my guilty plea hearing, and sent me on my way.

Two weeks? Who is the judge that would only set anything only two weeks away?

So, he got his pink card in two weeks? In 2010? Is anyone else scratching his chin about the claim of getting an LTCH in two weeks, in 2010?

Public Defenders are pretty worthless, so it helps to have a bullet-proof case for your innocence

Is that so? Well, the Indiana Public Defenders Council has a firearms training seminar, that I teach. Some of the best criminal defense attorneys in the state hold or have held PD contracts.

He had a bullet-proof case and yet he was convicted? He did not think to say, "hey, Mr. Pukemeyer, my attorney, what about this statute that I printed off before I started carrying the blackpowder pistol?"

The closer I read this, the less sense it is making.

I want a cause number. With the cause will come the county, the judge, and his attorney's name.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The only thing that seems right about this is the weed guys being cool cellies.

I carried mine for quite awhile the county prosecutor,sheriff and police chief all knew about. Just the other day a guy carrying a 1860 army walked right past the chief and all he said was "cool gun".

I would like to get the case number and look it up.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Cops all carry the little code books from IPAC.

If he is running his baconhole, why do the cops (apparently there are 2) not go to the glovebox and look at the IPAC codebook?

What? Even a rookie with an FTO knows that the license is only needed for handguns, modern handguns.
    Really? We stopped getting those in 2008. They still print them? We are told to go online to find the codes.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Kirk,

I thought that that a person didn't need a LTCH for a black powder handgun in Indiana as well, but I came across these statutes that would lead me to believe otherwise. What did I miss?

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.3-2008,
    SEC.254.

IC 35-47-1-6 "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1)
    hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-2-1 Version a
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person
    convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also
    following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and
    section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any
    vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under
    this chapter to carry a handgun.

Version b, effective 7/1/14 is, for these purposes, the same

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IC-35-47-2-19

This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Really? We stopped getting those in 2008. They still print them? We are told to go online to find the codes.

Yes, IPAC still prints them. They are still $10 a pop. They are gray this year.

They are very handy to have around. Outside the polished walls of Marion County one will find them in cop cars.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Did the little books use to be green? my brother was given one a couple years ago when he was a cop cant remember the year he went in but it was after 08. I have an 08 10 and 12 one.

I cut out 35-47-2-19 from one of my magic green books and carried it in my wallet just in case i ran into a butt head that wanted to argue.

Top Bottom