• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joneno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2014
    Rushville

I am wanting to obtain a LTCH in Indiana. However when I started filling out the form it of course asks if I have ever been arrested. I have. However I do not recall exact dates and charges nor do I know if any are a class of Felony that would disqualify me or not. I began to check into some of the online self check paid background check sites but the number of sites doing so make it a daunting task to figure out which to trust. And even the ISP site wants 15$ per record check and says a "no response" return is considered a finding and will be charged. I tried the incourt.gov site but do not even know if I should check with my full name, First and middle initial or full middle name and on and on it goes.

Can you recommend a way to find out my arrest records so I can answer truthfully or decide I don't stand a chance and just forget it? I know back in the mid 80's I had an arrest in Fayette County for under an ounce of marijuana that resulted in an overnight jail stay and a court appearance to pay a fine with no additional time served. I also had a personal property damage arrest around the same time in Rush County. Then in the early 90's I was arrested for public indecency in Marion County. I was trying to use the incourt.gov site to check those arrests but could not get a result. Any Advice please would be greatly appreciated.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Convictions are what matter, not arrests. Any felony will disqualify you. As far as arrest dates, estimations are fine. ANY arrest will send the application for "further review" and they will be able to find the exact dates.

You can try here, but it's only Indiana and not all counties report.

http://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx

I have to ask though, What were the arrests for? I find it a bit concerning that you've been arrested multiple times but don't seem to recall when or why or even if any were felonies.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Convictions are what matter, not arrests. Any felony will disqualify you. As far as arrest dates, estimations are fine. ANY arrest will send the application for "further review" and they will be able to find the exact dates.

I have to ask though, What were the arrests for? I find it a bit concerning that you've been arrested multiple times but don't seem to recall when or why or even if any were felonies.

I was thinking the same thing. I am pretty sure I would remember what I was charged with and if convicted :dunno:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Honestly, how does someone not know for sure if they are a convicted felon? I just fail to understand how you would not know.

I will say though that based on what you said you are going to be flagged in the process and it will take longer to get your LTCH. Possibly even denied but you can still appeal. As long as none of the convictions were felonies though you should be able to get it. Also, it doesn't matter if the crime you committed is a felony by law. What matters is what level the charge you were convicted of was in court. Many times felonies are pleaded down to misdemeanors.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Honestly, how does someone not know for sure if they are a convicted felon? I just fail to understand how you would not know.

I will say though that based on what you said you are going to be flagged in the process and it will take longer to get your LTCH. Possibly even denied but you can still appeal. As long as none of the convictions were felonies though you should be able to get it. Also, it doesn't matter if the crime you committed is a felony by law. What matters is what level the charge you were convicted of was in court. Many times felonies are pleaded down to misdemeanors.
    This. :+1:

Otis812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    IN-IL line

Years ago I was stopped by a county unit looking for a different vehicle that had left a property damage accident. My vehicle was the right color but different make. I had been visiting with a childhood friend & had been drinking that night. Long story short, I was arrested and booked for OWI. When my court time came around the charge was reduced to reckless driving. Fast forward 4 or 5 years later when I applied for my LTCH. I filled out my application & took it to the local sheriff's office (Vigo). I had checked off "no" to both questions that apply to conviction of a misdemeanor/felony violation that has not been expunged by the court. The lady who run my application at the department changed my answer to "yes" & made me initial it. I reaffirmed her that the question was that if I had ever been "convicted" & she told me that my arrest counted as the same. She also said that they do it all the time & it won't hurt my chances of getting my LTCH......she was right.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Years ago I was stopped by a county unit looking for a different vehicle that had left a property damage accident. My vehicle was the right color but different make. I had been visiting with a childhood friend & had been drinking that night. Long story short, I was arrested and booked for OWI. When my court time came around the charge was reduced to reckless driving. Fast forward 4 or 5 years later when I applied for my LTCH. I filled out my application & took it to the local sheriff's office (Vigo). I had checked off "no" to both questions that apply to conviction of a misdemeanor/felony violation that has not been expunged by the court. The lady who run my application at the department changed my answer to "yes" & made me initial it. I reaffirmed her that the question was that if I had ever been "convicted" & she told me that my arrest counted as the same. She also said that they do it all the time & it won't hurt my chances of getting my LTCH......she was right.

Yea, just slows the process down a bit. Sounds like you were convicted though, even if just for reckless driving. Or is that just an infraction. Honestly I don't think you should have to check for just being arrested. Being arrested means nothing without a conviction (or at least it shouldn't).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

I had a run in with the law when I was 17, and here almost 20 years later I can still tell you what the exact charges were, how many days I was detained, and what the judges ruling was. That was back in 1996. Can't imagine anyone not knowing.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008

Gotta agree with your last sentence. I would think if I were arrested, unless it is a frequent thing, that I would remember why I was arrested

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Remembering whether you've been charged with a felony?

nobodytime.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gotta agree with your last sentence. I would think if I were arrested, unless it is a frequent thing, that I would remember why I was arrested

It is very common to forget about criminal cases. Haze of time, haze of drugs, precatory memory interference, inter alia.

I applaud the OP for wanting to be accurate. Smart move.

Call the Office of the Clerk of the counties where you were arrested. They should be able to help you out (8AM-5PM).

You want the "CCS" (Chronological Case Summary) for each case (if the case was filed). They may refer to the CCS as the "docket" too. It need not be certified for right now.

You may have to pay to have them e-mail or mail to you. Worth it if you do not know.

The CCS will have the cause number, the initial charges, what you pled or were convicted of, and the sentencing order, or the withhold prosecution or the dismissal order.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I had a run in with the law when I was 17, and here almost 20 years later I can still tell you what the exact charges were, how many days I was detained, and what the judges ruling was. That was back in 1996. Can't imagine anyone not knowing.
    Seems a little strange, especially as most jobs will ask you to disclose convictions. Unless the OP has not applied for a job since the early '90's

Top Bottom