The person you are likely to shoot is YOU!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Two words: Keep finger off trigger.

Oh wait, guess that is four. Still, easy enough to learn.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Two words: Keep finger off trigger.

Oh wait, guess that is four. Still, easy enough to learn.

Yes and no. Easy to learn with some diligence, much harder to practice under stress. I've seen two trigger finger ND's in classes from folks who weren't necessarily newbies to carrying and shooting.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    That's because carrying a gun at Wal-Mart and shooting causal paper have nothing to do with combat performance. They are no substitute for training - they aren't even a work up to training.

Too many people think they are ready because they own a Glock, a super tuck, and plink 50 rounds at a square range once a month. I do not believe that is sufficient.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    That's because carrying a gun at Wal-Mart and shooting causal paper have nothing to do with combat performance. They are no substitute for training - they aren't even a work up to training.

Too many people think they are ready because they own a Glock, a super tuck, and plink 50 rounds at a square range once a month. I do not believe that is sufficient.

So are you suggesting that people that don't meet your training regiment shouldn't be allowed to carry? Just asking??

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's a really good article and I'm glad someone corrects people who do this.

AB0E31D5-13F3-4820-A915-AF9B8E5A7E44_zpsyyvah52j.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's a really good article and I'm glad someone corrects people who do this.

Blame the stretch pants for the 2-handed approach. (Not arguing cringe-worthiness in the least.)

And while I'm at it, I blame the photographer for not zooming out.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

That's more then likely only once per year.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Blame the stretch pants for the 2-handed approach.
    ReDONKulous.
    What a horrible photo example.
    That holster isn't attached to ANYthing. The belt clip is on the outside under her hand, for gawd's sake.
    Don't tell me it's a mag pouch. And don't say the holster is affixed by belt loop slots, because those type of pants don't HAVE belt loops...
    What a great example of "If we put a photo up, people will accept anything as 'real'." BRAVO SIERRA.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Blame the stretch pants for the 2-handed approach. (Not arguing cringe-worthiness in the least.)

That might be a tight skirt. Still nothing a good gun belt and kydex holster couldn't fix.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ReDONKulous.
    What a horrible photo example.
    That holster isn't attached to ANYthing. The belt clip is on the outside under her hand, for gawd's sake.
    Don't tell me it's a mag pouch. And don't say the holster is affixed by belt loop slots, because those type of pants don't HAVE belt loops...
    What a great example of "If we put a photo up, people will accept anything as 'real'." BRAVO SIERRA.

Could be worse and this is the real thing:

flashbang_bra_holster_4__04574.1410979518.1280.1280.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    this is the real thing:
    I'm aware of the existence of the FlashBang holster...
    What I'm talking about is the whole obvious, "Hold this holster like this here and pretend like you're drawing a gun from it" bit.
    It's imbecilic. And that's being GENEROUS. What intended audience are they trying to fool?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

The picture is representative of what I've seen at the range and in training courses; I've seen men and women do it. Yeah, most times it was because of inappropriate/ineffective equipment, but it was still a learned practice.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have to point out, he shot himself with a 45 ACP and was not thrown back 10 feet or did it cause him to spontaneously com-bust. Just sayin!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The picture is representative of what I've seen at the range and in training courses; I've seen men and women do it. Yeah, most times it was because of inappropriate/ineffective equipment, but it was still a learned practice.

This gets done a lot. Because of bad gear folks start out pointing their guns at themselves every time the draw or holster.
    We both know this is a tough task to break folks of when you are in charge of making sure they DON'T point their guns at themselves.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If she were to obtain a proper grip on the pistol before pulling it, with her currnent trigger finger discipline, there would be NO WAY to discharge the firearm!

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    There's a gun in the photo?
    :laugh:
    My wife called the bs the second she saw the pic!

Here's a tip. Practice makes perfect. Practice drawing and holstering with your piece unloaded. Do it till it's automatic. Then do it on command. When your "not" ready. Kinda need help with that part though.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, what about the photographs of the injuries? I think the author is trying to get us to think about learning to not shoot ourselves by training and wearing proper equipment. Some people get upset when the T-word is brought up, but it is important.

Top Bottom