• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    So a Federal bureau under the Obama administration made a decision, I"m convinced more than ever that 9mm should not be my carry caliber.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess we wait for another shoot out where they get their asses handed to them and they will change again...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Going to be a lot of used 40s in the classifides.

As far as ammo, several good +P bonded service loads out there. I would not feel the least bit hesitant about carrying a 9mm.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    FBI settles on 9mm. Settles? What is this? Just use the 9mm? Just when you thought the ammo shortage was over! Now the government has to buy millions of rounds again!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    FBI settles on 9mm. Settles? What is this? Just use the 9mm? Just when you thought the ammo shortage was over! Now the government has to buy millions of rounds again!

AAGGGHHH!!! Time to hoard 9mm before the feds buys a couple billion more rounds!! What are they gonna do with all the .40 they bought?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let's review:

1986: FBI gets ass kicked in Miami. Blames 9mm even though Dove's 9mm well placed into Platt.

1989: FBI chooses 10mm in order to avoid embarrassment of .45, but then goes with 10mm Lite which becomes .40S&W.

1990s: Everyone and his brother runs out and buys .40

2000s: everyone and his brother buys more .40s

2014: FBI says "nevermind" everyone go back to the 9mm.

So old now I see the pattern repeating itself.:D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Let's review:

1986: FBI gets ass kicked in Miami. Blames 9mm even though Dove's 9mm well placed into Platt.

1989: FBI chooses 10mm in order to avoid embarrassment of .45, but then goes with 10mm Lite which becomes .40S&W.

1990s: Everyone and his brother runs out and buys .40

2000s: everyone and his brother buys more .40s

2014: FBI says "nevermind" everyone go back to the 9mm.

So old now I see the pattern repeating itself.:D

The FBI is not the be all end all of firearms knowledge, glad I never bought into the hype, 9mm's just fine.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would almost guarantee the real forces in the decision had nothing to do with ballistics. It may have had some logistics input, Maybe some input as far as getting more people higher qualifying scores is some of the motivation. It may have to do with an excuse to buy new pistols. The largest influence is surely based on someone in power having a way to make big bucks on the whole deal.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Likely when they took all things into consideration and arriving at a compromise that works for a wider variety of agents in all shapes and sizes, the 9mm was the overall best.
    I won't second guess their decision.

That said, when this same choice is made individual by individual, the 9mm isn't necessarily the best choice for EVERY person.

Being one that began shooting/carrying with a .357 magnum revolver when few carried semi-auto pistols, I don't have trouble with handguns with more recoil than a 9mm.
    So my favorites are 10mm, 45 ACP and recently .357 Sig.

I've never owned or carried a 9mm, but I in NO WAY discount their effectiveness if it works for somebody.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Going to be a lot of used 40s in the classifides.

As far as ammo, several good +P bonded service loads out there. I would not feel the least bit hesitant about carrying a 9mm.

This just in: Surplus .40 to hit the shelves soon! Cheap!

Not going to happen. No federal Agencies will sell their former firearms on any civllian market. Not even to the Agents/Officers that used them.

AAGGGHHH!!! Time to hoard 9mm before the feds buys a couple billion more rounds!! What are they gonna do with all the .40 they bought?

Most Federal agencies practice with their duty load so unless your choice of self defense round is the same flavor as what the FBI adopts I wouldn't worry to much about them being the cause of any shortage.

News flash....Armed services are looking at a .45 as the new side arm.....

Again this isn't going to happen. While going to the 45 was not ruled out by the criteria it simply won't happen and is just a wet dream for some. Way to much involved with the NATO standardization on 9mm. Not to mention they (DOD) is still knee deep in Beretta's and will be for YEARS to come.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hoo Boy? (POPCORN) what handgun, what make and type 9mm, even my sources at the FBI, have no clue yet, no announcement has been made to the field agents. I have seen FBI tests in person where a 147 gr 9mm and a 165 gr .40 (Federal ammo) were fired through corresponding SIG pistols into Denim/Gel blocks and both performed almost identicaly.

If I ever find more Federal 9mm 147 gr +P HST, I am going to get it.

PS I still carry the .40 Winchester PDX-1 180 gr.

Top Bottom