• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Handgunlaw.us is seeking assistance in cataloging all the states laws/regs on keeping a long gun in a vehicle all the time. Due to what is happening in the world and here at home I am seeing the question more and more about carrying a long gun in a vehicle all the time. What just happened in Canada got me 5 emails on the day it happened and at least one every days since about Long Guns in Vehicles. Loaded/Unloaded. Cased/Uncased. Trunk or back of vehicle or anywhere in the vehicle or not allowed etc etc. Information people would need to stay within the law in their state or a state they travel to with a long gun in their vehicle. Sad to say but it is us good guys/gals that only obey the law but we have to know what they are to stay within them.

All this info will be assembled and put into one document for all the states. It will be available free for anyone who wishes to view the information. There is no more knowledgeable people to ask than those who live and use firearms in their home state is the reason I am asking this on a lot of different state specific Firearm Forums.
    The laws/Administrative Rules Laws on Long Guns can be almost non-existent or spelled out completely. Many times they can be found in the hunting laws. If you could assist Handgunlaw.us with the alpha/numeric code for a state statute or Administrative Rule or a link to the states hunting laws that spell out the states stance on carrying long guns in vehicles it would be greatly appreciated. I have to have something official from a state agency. I would appreciate an email with the info sent to admins@handgunlaw.us as I can miss PM’s etc if possible.

This will takes a few months to gather all this info and catalog it as I have to check everything out. I will post a link to the finished document on every Firearm Forum that I post this request on. That link will also be added to Handgunlaw.us Thank you for your time and assistance. Handgunlaw.us is what it is because of all the assistance I get from those who give me a heads up on law changes and help me in so many different ways to keep Handgunlaw.us up to date.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I realize you asked for emails, Gary. Where I am right now, I can't do that, but just FYI, Indiana has no laws regarding carry of a long gun in a vehicle, specifically.
    That is if you can lawfully possess a firearm, there is no law prohibiting having it in your vehicle, loaded or unloaded, cased or not cased. The same law applies to long guns as to handguns as to possession of a firearm in a vehicle on, for example, school property, or employer's parking lots. (IC 34-28-7, if memory serves.)

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    That is what I mean by asking those in the state. Laws are passed almost exclusively to say something is illegal. When There is no law saying it is illegal it is legal. But hard to find a law that doesn't exist. Thank you Gentlemen. Very Much Appreciated! Again it will be a few months before I get this all together and will post a link to the finished Document here when it is available. Thank you again!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

IC 14-22-6-7
    Jacklighting prohibited
    Sec. 7. (a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department, an employee of a federal wildlife management agency, or a person who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's or a person's duties or in accordance with the conditions of a license; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's or person's action.
    (b) An individual may not knowingly throw or cast the rays of any spotlight or other artificial light:
    (1) not required by law on a motor vehicle; and
    (2) in search of or upon any wild bird or wild animal;
    from a vehicle while the person possesses a firearm, bow, or crossbow, if by throwing or casting the rays a wild bird or wild animal could be killed. This subsection applies even though the animal is not killed, injured, shot at, or otherwise pursued.
    (c) An individual may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals, with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.
    (d) An individual may not shine a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take, or assisting another person to take a deer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana has very few long gun statutes as to mere possession.

1. Jacklighting deer.

2. Carrying a shotgun without a stock (aka "the pistol grip only" shotgun) requires a license to carry a handgun as a shotgun in this configuration is a handgun under Indiana law. A shotgun in such a configuration is still subject to Jeremy's Silly Shotgun Doctrine (which states one must be at least as hot as Milla Jovovich to carry such a weapon).

http://law.justia.com/cases/indiana/court-of-appeals/1999/09299911-rhs.html

3. More statutes are geared toward misuse (outside of things such as obliterated serial number)--pointing a firearm, criminal recklessness, battery with deadly weapon, theft, inter alia.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks for the follow-up, Kirk. I was going from memory, and as I'm not a hunter, didn't know about the law you cited.

Gary, go with what Kirk said here... He's the lawyer, after all! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom