• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe if they started prosecuting some of those callers, and publicizing it, people would realize they could get into trouble.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    To be fair the person placing the call really did sound mentally handicapped and it's uncertain if his intent was purposely malicious or a misinterpretation of what he viewed.

Regardless, a very dangerous thing to do on his behalf. SWATing and false 911 information should come with a very strict punishment. It puts the lives of officers in risk as they haul-ass to reported crime scenes, puts innocent people at risk and especially the victim of the swatting. Imagine how some of you would respond in the wee hours of the night when your door gets kicked down.... could get bad very quick.

Luckily this time it wasn't bad, was handled as well as it could be and no one got hurt.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, but the Angry Mothers group are doing it for the right reason. They just want to protect the children. So I think it is less likely that they would get prosecuted.

I thought someone showed this was a fake case.
    The SWAT was real.
    The punishment was fictional.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are also plenty of cops who are in 100% in agreement with MDA, unlawfullness of the tactics be damned, and so are more than happy to SWAT the law abiding gun owners until they learn their place in the pecking order (i.e. stop possessing firearms with the police around).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There are also plenty of cops who are in 100% in agreement with MDA, unlawfullness of the tactics be damned, and so are more than happy to SWAT the law abiding gun owners until they learn their place in the pecking order (i.e. stop possessing firearms with the police around).

That's how it was in MI prior to shall issue, unless you contributed a fair amount to the Sheriffs election campaign and received the coveted 'unrestricted' permit. The LEO's there have calmed down a bit but you're right, it's still out there.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So the police know this caller because he has made obscure calls before?

Good on them for not making this a bad thing, but if they get repeated calls from the same guy shouldn't they maybe start thinking he is crying wolf? Not sure where the line should be drawn on this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    So the police know this caller because he has made obscure calls before?

Good on them for not making this a bad thing, but if they get repeated calls from the same guy shouldn't they maybe start thinking he is crying wolf? Not sure where the line should be drawn on this.

In the "crying wolf" story, didn't the kid get eaten by a wolf in the end? Even a hoaxster can get into real trouble occasionally. I would rather they go ahead and waste some time rather than risk not responding to a real emergency. The only thing that needs to be handled differently is for false reporting to be prosecuted.

I have heard officers state more than once that "If you call me, then SOMEBODY needs to go to jail!" I perceived that to be a warning against this very kind of 911 call. In my experience with police I would have never guessed they would let someone get away with this very many times. They don't often tolerate foolishness twice.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I agree that they should follow up on every call. But after they have checked it out and realize that their time has been wasted on a false report then they should waste a little more time and let the caller know that he will be getting into trouble in some capacity for the false reporting.

If the false report resulted in someone getting hurt then there should be additional charges filed. IMO

I think we agree completely, I just didn't word it as well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So, nothing was mentioned.
    Did police contact the 7-11 to verify that there had indeed been a robbery?

That would have mitigated most of this episode.

Seems like a no-brainer to call and ask.

Top Bottom