• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    First and foremost I want to say that I am not here to bash any cops, but wanted to get some opinions on something that happened to me and a friend tonight.

My friend and I were driving to a local store, my friend was driving and not wearing a seatbelt. I was wearing my seatbelt and riding in the passenger seat right. ISP unmarked car pulls us over. My friend keeps a pistol in his glove box where his registration is also located. Officer asks my friend for license and registration. My friend hands him his license and informs officer that his registration is in the glove box and there is also a loaded firearm in the glove box as well. Officer asks for his carry permit, which my friend supplies. My friend asks officer if he would like to get the registration or allow the officer to grab it. Officer informs my friend that he will get the registration himself. Officer then walks around the front of the truck and I open my door and open the glove box for the officer to retrieve the registration. Here is where it got interesting. Officer reaches into the glove box and grabs both the gun and the registration. I started to ask the officer what he was doing, but he was already started towards his car. During no time did my friend give permission to the officer to take possession of the firearm nor did I. Officer is back in the car writing a ticket to my friend for failure to wear a safety belt. Officer comes back to the driver side of truck and hands the ticket to my friend. He also hands him the magazine from the pistol. I ask the officer why he took the pistol from the truck, his response was "I had to run it to make sure it wasn't stolen". I then got a little upset and asked why he thought it was stolen. His response was I run guns all the time to make sure they are not stolen. I asked him what kind of probable cause he had to think that it was stolen and this was just a seatbelt stop. He told me if I had a problem with it to talk to his supervisor then walked back to his car. I don't know the laws as good as some of you probably do, but this absolutely ticked me off. Is this something that I should report to his supervisor, was I in the wrong on questioning this whole scenario? BTW, when the officer retrieved the hand gun from the glove box he muzzle swept both of my lower legs.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    He did not object to the "siezure", and gave the cop the option to get the registration himself. Not a great choice to keep firearm with required papers.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    He did not object to the "siezure", and gave the cop the option to get the registration himself. Not a great choice to keep firearm with required papers.

I would have to agree with this. Once he offered the trooper the option of retrieving it from the glove box he was giving his consent.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012

He agreed to allow him to retrieve the reg, although I can see what you are saying. Just thought it was ridiculous that he was law abiding pink card holder that tried to do the right thing and gets his gun run as a stolen item.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I keep my registration clipped on my visor so I don't have to go digging around in my console or glove compartments.

Oh, my registration? sure officer its right here, I keep it handy, cause I'm asked for it all the time. It's much easier to just keep it right here so that you don't see what I keep in the glove box.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    He agreed to allow him to retrieve the reg, although I can see what you are saying. Just thought it was ridiculous that he was law abiding pink card holder that tried to do the right thing and gets his gun run as a stolen item.

I think once you gave him permission to "enter the vehicle" anything he finds is fair game at this point. Sure you can search the "right side of the glove box"...

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    If I discovered on of my friends keeping their firearm stored in such a jackassish way, I would not be able to hold back the flow of "stern education" that would fly from my mouth with great force and speed. I'm sure the officer frowned upon that as well, which is probably why your buddy got what he got. If everything was squared away in a respectful, responsible manner, things may have gone differently. Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    First and foremost I want to say that I am not here to bash any cops, but wanted to get some opinions on something that happened to me and a friend tonight.

My friend and I were driving to a local store, my friend was driving and not wearing a seatbelt. I was wearing my seatbelt and riding in the passenger seat right. ISP unmarked car pulls us over. My friend keeps a pistol in his glove box where his registration is also located. Officer asks my friend for license and registration. My friend hands him his license and informs officer that his registration is in the glove box and there is also a loaded firearm in the glove box as well. Officer asks for his carry permit, which my friend supplies. My friend asks officer if he would like to get the registration or allow the officer to grab it. Officer informs my friend that he will get the registration himself. Officer then walks around the front of the truck and I open my door and open the glove box for the officer to retrieve the registration. Here is where it got interesting. Officer reaches into the glove box and grabs both the gun and the registration. I started to ask the officer what he was doing, but he was already started towards his car. During no time did my friend give permission to the officer to take possession of the firearm nor did I. Officer is back in the car writing a ticket to my friend for failure to wear a safety belt. Officer comes back to the driver side of truck and hands the ticket to my friend. He also hands him the magazine from the pistol. I ask the officer why he took the pistol from the truck, his response was "I had to run it to make sure it wasn't stolen". I then got a little upset and asked why he thought it was stolen. His response was I run guns all the time to make sure they are not stolen. I asked him what kind of probable cause he had to think that it was stolen and this was just a seatbelt stop. He told me if I had a problem with it to talk to his supervisor then walked back to his car. I don't know the laws as good as some of you probably do, but this absolutely ticked me off. Is this something that I should report to his supervisor, was I in the wrong on questioning this whole scenario? BTW, when the officer retrieved the hand gun from the glove box he muzzle swept both of my lower legs.

They're not going to take your complaint, it's a third party complaint. If your friend is a big boy, he can complain if he wants, not you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh, my registration? sure officer its right here, I keep it handy, cause I'm asked for it all the time. It's much easier to just keep it right here so that you don't see what I keep in the glove box.

Use it or don't. No skin off my nose. Keep papers with guns in compartments where you don't want to give implied consent to search, have them removed, muzzle swept your body by Officer-I-check-all-firearms-in-case-their-stolen, etc...if that's what you want to do. I want to get him/her in and out of my day as quickly as possible with as little extra-curricular activity as possible. YMMV.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't know how, when or why but at some point in police culture it became an unwritten rule that all firearms an officer encounters while on duty needed to be checked to make sure they weren't stolen. That is how I was trained initially and I did it for probably a year and a half before I thought to question the practice. I stopped doing it at that point and have since done what I can to shed some light on the practice for other officers.

I'm not saying it's right because I don't agree with it. I don't think many (maybe even most) officers have pondered whether it makes sense or is the right thing to do.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Use it or don't. No skin off my nose. Keep papers with guns in compartments where you don't want to give implied consent to search, have them removed, muzzle swept your body by Officer-I-check-all-firearms-in-case-their-stolen, etc...if that's what you want to do. I want to get him/her in and out of my day as quickly as possible with as little extra-curricular activity as possible. YMMV.

It is a good piece of advice, I was busting you chops in B/W.

Top Bottom