OH will recognize IN LTCH in the near future!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    OH just passed a reform bill for their CCW and sent it to the gov. When signed OH will recognize all out of state permits as long as you are in the state for a short time (I do not know the exact date the new law starts). :bacondance:

From the bill:
    "(3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, aperson who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealedhandgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state,regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has enteredinto a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general underdivision (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily inthis state, during the time that the person is temporarily in thisstate the license issued by the other license-issuing state shallbe recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this​
    state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealedhandgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealedhandgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code."

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    If signed, I would think it would be effective after the first of the year. That's just a guess, though.

I, for one, hope it gets signed. I have kids over there and travel that way often.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Awesome! Now I will be able in the future (maybe) cross that state line without looking over my shoulder.

Also, what is "temporarily" a day, a week?
    And is it only "concealed"?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think it has another section that says they will accept your license from another state for up to 6 months, and after that you need to apply for an ohio CCW. so I would assume the 6 months sort of establishes the "temporary" bit.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think it has another section that says they will accept your license from another state for up to 6 months, and after that you need to apply for an ohio CCW. so I would assume the 6 months sort of establishes the "temporary" bit.

Ah, got it. Over that and you are essentially an Ohio resident.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think it has another section that says they will accept your license from another state for up to 6 months, and after that you need to apply for an ohio CCW. so I would assume the 6 months sort of establishes the "temporary" bit.​

Given the zeal in which the Ohio State Police enforce the speed limit on I-70, sometimes it feels like 6 months to drive across Ohio.:D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The real question is how long do we wait (a year maybe 2) to make sure the police (canton) are informed of this change to avoid any jackbootery?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Awesome! Now I will be able in the future (maybe) cross that state line without looking over my shoulder.

Also, what is "temporarily" a day, a week?
    And is it only "concealed"?

It would only have to be concealed (mainly for car carry, <car is considered concealed in OH), if I recall right now OH is a constitutional open carry state, no license required regardless of residency.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This is great news, and I was wondering the same thing print craft, what is a "short time" I don't like when things can be left up to interpretation with this kind of thing most of the time. You also must inform there.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I like this part since I'm moving to OH in about 6 or 7 months. I was wondering about what I'll do for CCW since they have had a 45 day waiting period after becoming a resident to apply for CCW over there. This 6 month thing would be great if it kicks in before I move!

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Given the zeal in which the Ohio State Police enforce the speed limit on I-70...

Shut up and pay your Ohio Visitor's Highway Tax like a good boy.;)

We travel to Ohio often to visit family and have invented a new in the car game. I call it "Guess Which State the Driver is From Who the OSHP Has Pulled Over Now". Kinda wordy, I know.:rolleyes: You see the flashing lights, and before you pass the hapless victim, you guess which state's license plate they are sportin.

Here's the secret to winning the game, NEVER GUESS OHIO!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    OH just passed a reform bill for their CCW and sent it to the gov. When signed OH will recognize all out of state permits as long as you are in the state for a short time (I do not know the exact date the new law starts). :bacondance:

From the bill:
    "(3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, aperson who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealedhandgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state,regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has enteredinto a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general underdivision (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily inthis state, during the time that the person is temporarily in thisstate the license issued by the other license-issuing state shallbe recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this​
    state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealedhandgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealedhandgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code."

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Which bill was this?

Top Bottom