Brandishing. Why are some people allowed, and others aren't?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I am not a lawyer. I am a newbie to firearms. But this has me scratching my head.

I have heard that you should NEVER draw a firearm unless you feel that you (or someone near you) is in imminent danger of death or grave bodily harm, and that your next action WILL be shooting at the aggressor - not cajoling them into "backing off." OK, I can understand that. Drawing a firearm simply because you *think* that someone *may* pose a threat, may result in you being charged with "brandishing" a firearm.

So why is it that a LEO can draw down on an individual on mere suspicion that they *may* pose a threat?

Why are the rules of engagement different for a citizen and a LEO?

Just curious.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've never heard of "Brandishing" since moving to Indiana. :dunno:

Isn't that something you do to cattle?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IANAL but I don't think there are brandishing laws in Indiana.

I am "undergoing" training by my employer. The LEO, tells me, that if you "show" someone your firearm, "in a threatenig manner" he will arrest you, for POINTING a FIREARM....

He explains it like intimidation .....

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am "undergoing" training by my employer. The LEO, tells me, that if you "show" someone your firearm, "in a threatenig manner" he will arrest you, for POINTING a FIREARM....

As I said, I'm not a lawyer. Also, what a LEO will arrest you for and what laws are actually on the books can be two different things. I'm sure there's cops that will arrest you for OCing even with an LTCH.

At the end of the day, don't be an idiot when using your gun.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am not a lawyer. I am a newbie to firearms. But this has me scratching my head.

I have heard that you should NEVER draw a firearm unless you feel that you (or someone near you) is in imminent danger of death or grave bodily harm, and that your next action WILL be shooting at the aggressor - not cajoling them into "backing off." OK, I can understand that. Drawing a firearm simply because you *think* that someone *may* pose a threat, may result in you being charged with "brandishing" a firearm.

So why is it that a LEO can draw down on an individual on mere suspicion that they *may* pose a threat?

Just curious.

Example?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I hope he has a little more than that to enact an arrest.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As I said, I'm not a lawyer. Also, what a LEO will arrest you for and what laws are actually on the books can be two different things. I'm sure there's cops that will arrest you for OCing even with an LTCH.

At the end of the day, don't be an idiot when using your gun.

In Indiana? "I have a LTCH. Please, feel free, officer... arrest me for the "crime" of OC, in the absence of other charges."

I will look upon it as a financial opportunity.

IC 35-47-11.1-2 The officer is a representative of a political subdivision of the State
    IC 35-47-11.1-5 By virtue of arrest, I have been subject to the enforcement of a rule or policy, as the officer, representing that subdivision, has acted.
    IC 35-47-11.1-6 If I am arrested in this manner, it would be hard to argue I was not so subjected.
    IC 35-47-11.1-7 Financial opportunity.

The only agency within Indiana that might be exempt from this would be ISP (and the Capitol Police, but I don't carry there. Excise might fit, too. Feds are another matter.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    There are no brandishing laws in Indiana. This is the only statute that I can think of that would apply.

IC 35-47-4-3 Version bPointing firearm at another person
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or

(2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Level 6 felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.158-2013, SEC.589.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Just curious.

Because LEO are routinely put in positions that non-LEO are not. When I chase after a stolen car, it becomes a felony stop with guns drawn at the end. You as a non-LEO would never be in that position to begin with. There are myriad other examples of positions that we are in and you would never be where guns drawn is acceptable.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    In Indiana? "I have a LTCH. Please, feel free, officer... arrest me for the "crime" of OC, in the absence of other charges."

I will look upon it as a financial opportunity.

IC 35-47-11.1-2 The officer is a representative of a political subdivision of the State
    IC 35-47-11.1-5 By virtue of arrest, I have been subject to the enforcement of a rule or policy, as the officer, representing that subdivision, has acted.
    IC 35-47-11.1-6 If I am arrested in this manner, it would be hard to argue I was not so subjected.
    IC 35-47-11.1-7 Financial opportunity.

The only agency within Indiana that might be exempt from this would be ISP (and the Capitol Police, but I don't carry there. Excise might fit, too. Feds are another matter.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Now they will just have to say they "misunderstood or didn't know the law" and they will be free and clear from any lawsuit.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I've never heard of "Brandishing" since moving to Indiana. :dunno:

Isn't that something you do to cattle?

I wouldn't point a weapon at my cows, they might kick the **** out of yah!

This thread reminds me of the video where the Jersey cop pulls a gun on the undercover cops and they go ape****. Its on YouTube...

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is my understanding that Feds cannot enforce state laws Bill.

They can in limited circumstances, as IC 35-33-1-1 grants them the authority to do so:

(b) A person who:
    (1) is employed full time as a federal enforcement officer;
    (2) is empowered to effect an arrest with or without warrant for a violation of the United States Code; and
    (3) is authorized to carry firearms in the performance of the person's duties;
    may act as an officer for the arrest of offenders against the laws of this state where the person reasonably believes that a felony has been or is about to be committed or attempted in the person's presence.

Now they will just have to say they "misunderstood or didn't know the law" and they will be free and clear from any lawsuit.

That only applies in very narrow circumstances, primarily when areas of the law are not settled or when the court changes their mind on what case law means. If it were that easy to avoid why would anyone bother with a lawsuit and who would ever win?

Top Bottom