• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I don't know much about this subject so I thought I'd post a question to the group. I have been seeing ads by USCCA regarding the importance of concealed carry insurance. Is this really necessary? Are there other options? Are there other companies that offer similar products?

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    There are several threads on this subject but none with a lot of info. In my research I found the links below with some things to think about. I just signed up with the USCCA for now. There were three I was considering, I went with USCCA because of the magazine and I could sign up for monthly payment so if/when I decide to change, I can just drop them and move forward.

How to Choose Concealed Carry Insurance - Guns & Ammo

An In-depth Look At Concealed Carry Insurance: Should You Get It? | Concealed Nation

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I don't know much about this subject so I thought I'd post a question to the group. I have been seeing ads by USCCA regarding the importance of concealed carry insurance. Is this really necessary? Are there other options? Are there other companies that offer similar products?

Should be discussed more than it is. Like some others here, with more authority than I, they will tell you, "Every bullet you put out there has your name and the name of a lawyer on it".

But I could be wrong.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    ummm just saying you can do the same thing with a Trust...

Anything of value is owned by the Trust, makes you un-collectible... In legal terms...

maybe useful for legal fee's or if it covers out of work fee's but for a judgement against you the insurance company probably has a plan to get out of paying.

Just my .02 cents worth...

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    In regards to the Legal fees vs the Monthly / Yearly fees, I went with USCCA. I talked with one of their reps at the NRA Convention last year and found out that they were to change their policies to cover any item used in self defense (not just firearms) and if you were to purchase two plans (yourself + SO), one would be half off. I registered my wife on a lower plan and myself on a higher plan. Since mine was the second registered to the address, mine was 50% off.

Before USCCA changed their guidelines, I was looking a CCW Safe. I also know that the Second Amendment Foundation and NRA have plans they support, but when I bought in they still only covered firearms... I prefer knowing that if I use my car, a rock, a fire extinguisher, etc... that I'd be covered.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    ummm just saying you can do the same thing with a Trust...

Anything of value is owned by the Trust, makes you un-collectible... In legal terms...

maybe useful for legal fee's or if it covers out of work fee's but for a judgement against you the insurance company probably has a plan to get out of paying.

Just my .02 cents worth...

I was thinking more for the legal costs should I need to defend myself in court.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I checked into this last Spring with my insurance company. I carry an umbrella policy in addition to my homeowners policy, by having the umbrella policy, the company responded that if it is a justified shooting, they will defend me up to the limit of the policy. I also had an opportunity to speak with the deputy prosecutor a couple of years ago, about the using reloads for defense thing, and I was told the bullets didn't matter as long as it is a justified shooting. So, it looks to me it all comes down to.... was the shooting justified, and if so, you wont be held criminally, and the way I understand the reading of the law, nor would you be held liable civilly but....... I suppose anyone can sue anyone for anything. Insurance is a great idea for those who carry, just check out the options and really understand the fine print before you sign on.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    I have CCW Safe. But in the future I will probably do a combo with USCCA for the magazine as well. The downside is I've not heard any real life "reviews" by anybody that has used any of the major players. (Outside of what they put in their promo materials" could be all for nothing, but I have it more for the civil suit liability than the justified shooting side of things. People are crazy. Indiana LEOs and prosecutors are less crazy.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've got a policy with USCCA. There is a company--Second Call--that is NRA affiliated and offered through Lockton Insurance, I think. Same idea, similar benefits.

The thing that sold me on this kind of insurance is that you can get connected 24/7 with an attorney who specializes in guns and criminal defense--regardless of where you might be traveling (in the USA). That, and being covered for the costs of bail and legal fees (to whatever level you insure for) makes this kind of insurance a no brainer IMO. You carry a gun because you know you might need it. If that happens, you'll need this kind of insurance too.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    what about something like general legal insurance? i know there is an MLM called prepaid legal that covers you.
    One difference might who is defending you? With these self defense policies, they pick attorneys that specialize in criminal law and gun laws (and I understand, who are pro 2A). General legal insurance could be like getting a general practice/family medicine MD when you actually need a neurosurgeon.

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    I am curious to see the caliber of attorney that is chosen to represent a gun owner by one of these agencies. Hopefully it's not the cheapest attorney they can find :dunno:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If I was going to do something like this, I would go with this one, https://armedcitizensnetwork.org simply because of who is involved in it. This is one of the things I definitely want to pick Andrew Branca's brain about in his March class in Indiana. Law of Self Defense ? The indispensable guide to self defense law is finally back. Mr. Branca's book is the only MUST READ for all present and future gun owners. Ignore it at your own peril.. This is a topic I need to research further before offering an intelligent opinion.

Xenokilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Mishawaka
    One difference might who is defending you? With these self defense policies, they pick attorneys that specialize in criminal law and gun laws (and I understand, who are pro 2A). General legal insurance could be like getting a general practice/family medicine MD when you actually need a neurosurgeon.

good point, i took a look and Legalsheild only has one law firm in indiana. https://www.legalshield.com/law-firms/okoon-hintermeister-pllc

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    With USCCA you can pick your own attorney, Guy and Mac (aka Sheepdog if I remember correctly) from Valpariso are on the USCCA suggested attorney list.

As far as the umbrella policy covering a justified shooting, my State Farm rep said basically the same thing to me, when I pressed to see/get it in writing I was then told that it's a very gray area whether they would cover it or not.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Bumping this back up. How much are you guys paying for concealed carry insurance or firearms liability insurance? If you don't want to post, you could always PM me. I'm asking because I've recently become aware of a market placement I have available as an agent, but the price seems quite high to me. I don't want to recommend it if it is not competitive. Thanks!

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Bumping this back up. How much are you guys paying for concealed carry insurance or firearms liability insurance? If you don't want to post, you could always PM me. I'm asking because I've recently become aware of a market placement I have available as an agent, but the price seems quite high to me. I don't want to recommend it if it is not competitive. Thanks!

I'm on the gold plan with USCCA at $22.00 per month.

Top Bottom