• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I would think in Indiana breaking into an occupied house is a force able felony so letheal self defense would be excusable.

If the is an exterior door between the home owner and the burglar, I guess he has not broke IN yet.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I don't know if I would shoot through a closed door, then again some may think it stupid to allow a burglar entry before you shoot. Someone breaks my window or glass panel on my door and I'm thinking his coming in, hard call after the fact.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I've never knocked on a door and once question if I'd break glass. Sounds like the "good" drunk was beating on it something fierce.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Three people outside my door at nearly 1:00 am, and one of them breaks the glass? I believe the homeowner is justified in making the kid eat a bullet.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Lots of failure on both sides. Even without the differences in MA law regarding duty to retreat, etc., the resident shot too soon.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    1PM - HUGE difference.
    Shoot, you're right, I misread.

Yeah, that does make a lot of difference and is probably a big reason he was arrested on this.

Not a lot of home invasions in broad daylight. Much harder to justify that your life was threatened.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    1PM - HUGE difference.

I didn't know crime stopped due to daylight.. To me it doesn't matter the time of day nor night. If a bad guy wanted to break down my front door no matter the time I would like to think the time of day wouldn't take into account if it was a justifiable shoot or no shoot scenario. Now I'm sure not all facts have come out yet. Crime doesn't go prone because it's daylight.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yeah, that does make a lot of difference and is probably a big reason he was arrested on this.

Not a lot of home invasions in broad daylight. Much harder to justify that your life was threatened.

When there's still a door between me and the bad guy, I'm not yet going to be convinced my life is in immanent danger. The guy was reckless for shooting that soon. Of course the teens were reckless too, but the penalty for breaking glass shouldn't be death.

But it sounds like they are over-doing it. Murder? It looks like in MA there are two degrees of Murder. First degree is premeditated, extreme atrocity, or while committing a crime. Everything else is 2nd degree, which carries a pretty stiff sentence. I can see some kind of reckless charge. But murder? No.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't know crime stopped due to daylight.. To me it doesn't matter the time of day nor night. If a bad guy wanted to break down my front door no matter the time I would like to think the time of day wouldn't take into account if it was a justifiable shoot or no shoot scenario. Now I'm sure not all facts have come out yet. Crime doesn't go prone because it's daylight.
    Agreed. Last time someone tried to break into a house I was staying in, it was in the late morning 10am-1130am.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If it figures into the calculation of whether he would have a reason to fear for his life to justify using deadly force, yeah, I think it makes a difference.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Most burglaries happen in daytime. They're not "home invasions" because most people work during the day and so their home is unoccupied. Which is why most burglaries are during the day. If you happen to be home, then it becomes, colloquially, a home invasion.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Shooting through a door when you cannot be certain what you are shooting is a real dumb idea, day or night. The case will probably end with a plea to reckless homicide or something like that. This is a good case study in what NOT to do. IMHO

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Shooting through a door when you cannot be certain what you are shooting is a real dumb idea, day or night. The case will probably end with a plea to reckless homicide or something like that. This is a good case study in what NOT to do. IMHO

I fully agree that shooting through a door is foolish. I'm not saying he had any right until they bombarded in the house. However I do feel like since there was numerous persons at his door it could have stepped up the adrenaline knowing there was more than one person. But that's my opinion. And calculations with projected numbers mean crap to me when someone is attempting to break down my front door. And yes most home invasions, burglaries, breaking and entering.. Whatever you wish to call it. Fact of the matter is they picked the wrong door to try and beat down.

Top Bottom