• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Oh a whim, I started to weigh guns that I have in my carry rotation as well as some that I used to carry just to see if there's any correlation between what I like to carry and the weight. All are carried on an MTAC Kydex reinforced heavy gun belt in, typically, a Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide. Over the years, I've found that I hate carrying some guns and love some others. My least favorite to carry for a full day is my Sig Nickel Railed 1911. That is also one of my favorite shooters and is also a great nightstand gun. Full up carry weight on it is 47.2 oz. Among my favorites for carry is a CZ Compact carried with a 16 round mag and SP01 base plate. It always felt heavy, but I can carry that one all day long without an issue. I was surprised to see that it came in at 41.1 ounces, but that helps explain why it is such a soft shooting gun.

I have a G30sf that is a fantastic shooter and is rather light at only 33.7 ounces, but for some reason, that one can be uncomfortable after all day carry. That might be a holster issue though since I just bought it this spring and have not got my standard Kramer carry holster for it yet. It gets carried in a Glock molded holster. It actually carries great and feels good but at the end of the day, I find that I tend to have a sore back if carrying the chunky little gun all day. The four that are easiest to carry all day are a Glock 23, DW CCO, CZ P01 and CZ Compact. All are on the thin side and I think that is maybe what makes a difference, but I don't know why other than their center of mass being fractionally closer to the center of my spine.

Anyway, I thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering how a small number of pistols compare in full up, carry weight.

Glock 23 - 31.8
    Glock 30sf - 33.7
    CZ P01 - 34.4
    DW CCO - 35.1
    Glock 21 - 39.9
    CZ Compact - 41.1 (16 rd extended mag)
    Sig 1911 - 47.2

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't think the weight of the gun is that important. Anymore, I think what matters is how well you shoot the gun. My carry gun is normally a Glock 16. But I have found that I shoot the Glock 17 better. So for the last few days, I have been appendix carrying my Glock 17. I have realized it's just as easy to carry as my Glock 26. Sure, the grip sticks out a bit more, but it isn't THAT noticeable.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The weight of the average pistol for carry isn't really that much, even the metal ones. All you need is a good holster and belt to carry all the ammo that goes with it So unless you're carrying a big frame revolver or a Desert Eagle, weight really doesn't matter unless you want to carry ALL your mags with you.

The most I've ever carried is my G19 with 2 spare G17 mags - with +2 extensions on each.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Weight matters for ankle or pocket carry. It matters with lousy belt holsters and poorly designed/constructed holsters. It is nearly irrelevant for belt carry with a good belt/holster.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Weight matters for ankle or pocket carry. It matters with lousy belt holsters and poorly designed/constructed holsters. It is nearly irrelevant for belt carry with a good belt/holster.

Fedora Squirrel nails it.....My philosophy has always been this...Carrying a firearm is a heavy responsibility, so it should have a little weight.....If only to remind you of that deeper truth....

IMHO

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I DO have a good quality leather gun belt. And I DO have good quality thermoplastic holsters.

But I still hate toting a full-sized gun (my M&P). My shield gets the nod most of the time.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Be fat and have an ass shaped like an egg, like me. Try to carry a full size 1911. Good belt or not, those pants are drooping constantly.

I've learned over the 15 years I've been carrying that a sturdy belt, and suspenders to support that belt are a fat mans best friend. You don't need to have the belt on as tight, and your shoulders carry the weight, not your waist.

FYI, wear the suspenders under your shirt and people won't look at you like your 80 years old ;)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Be fat and have an ass shaped like an egg, like me. Try to carry a full size 1911. Good belt or not, those pants are drooping constantly.

I've learned over the 15 years I've been carrying that a sturdy belt, and suspenders to support that belt are a fat mans best friend. You don't need to have the belt on as tight, and your shoulders carry the weight, not your waist.

FYI, wear the suspenders under your shirt and people won't look at you like your 80 years old ;)

That's a really good idea!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've weighed the two .45's. The FS 1911 is almost 3lbs loaded with 9 rds. The Taurus is just over 2lbs with 11-rds. There's like 14 ounces difference.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I tried that but the little adjustment clips chaffed my nipples...:)

:): Try duct tape?

You need better suspenders. I wear High Speed Gear suspenders.

Never heard of them, but will look at them.

I currently live in suspender capitol of the US, surrounded by Amish and all, so custom leather ones are cheap here.

I started with cheap dickies elastic ones from walmart, but found them to be too wide.

Top Bottom