• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A friend and I had this discussion this past weekend and, after mulling it over a bit this week, decided to post the question on here to see what other's responses might be?

The question stemmed from the riots in Milwaukee and was, basically, what would you do if there were a national political incident (law enforcement involved shooting) that resulted in loud and violent protests, riots, the burning of buildings and vehicles, people being stopped and pulled from their vehicle(s) and beaten severely, etc...and it was occurring on your street or in your neighborhood?

Couple of questions we pondered...

1) Would you stay or would you leave (by leave, meaning abandon your personal property and allow whatever happens to it, happen to it in your absence?)

2) Would you have the ability to stay and attempt to defend your personal property? (acknowledging that you would probably be outnumbered and not be able to count on law enforcement for immediate assistance?)

3) What about food?

4) What if your electrical power was cut?

5) If you are in your vehicle and there's an attempt to force you to stop? Would you stop? If you do stop, would you be able to handle over-welming numbers if individuals (aggressors) who are present?

6) Would you have the ability to team up with a neighbor or two...or would you be on your own? What if you have a family to protect as well?

7) Lastly, is protecting your personal property worth it? Your life, absolutely, but property? Where do you stand...or what would you do?

Personally, there are still some 'if's'...but, basically, my wife and children would be gone asap...along with anything I don't need to protect myself directly!

Me staying in the home would depend on the specifics of the situation at hand and the immediate attitudes that are present and prevalent.

In my vehicle...I doubt I would stop...IMO, as soon as you stop, the entire situation just elevated and you're (most likely) screwed! In an attempt to stop me...IMO get through and get gone! A few broken windows on a truck and a person's leg getting broken from being run over is not near as bad as being pulled from your vehicle and beaten! If you're in a large group of individuals and are trying to stop me, IMO, you have already threatened me...and I would defend myself sufficient to survive!

There's potentially a lot to consider in this scenario...

Thoughts? Recommendations? Suggestions?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend and I had this discussion this past weekend and, after mulling it over a bit this week, decided to post the question on here to see what other's responses might be?

The question stemmed from the riots in Milwaukee and was, basically, what would you do if there were a national political incident (law enforcement involved shooting) that resulted in loud and violent protests, riots, the burning of buildings and vehicles, people being stopped and pulled from their vehicle(s) and beaten severely, etc...and it was occurring on your street or in your neighborhood?

Couple of questions we pondered...

1) Would you stay or would you leave (by leave, meaning abandon your personal property and allow whatever happens to it, happen to it in your absence?)

2) Would you have the ability to stay and attempt to defend your personal property? (acknowledging that you would probably be outnumbered and not be able to count on law enforcement for immediate assistance?)

3) What about food?

4) What if your electrical power was cut?

5) If you are in your vehicle and there's an attempt to force you to stop? Would you stop? If you do stop, would you be able to handle over-welming numbers if individuals (aggressors) who are present?

6) Would you have the ability to team up with a neighbor or two...or would you be on your own? What if you have a family to protect as well?

7) Lastly, is protecting your personal property worth it? Your life, absolutely, but property? Where do you stand...or what would you do?

Personally, there are still some 'if's'...but, basically, my wife and children would be gone asap...along with anything I don't need to protect myself directly!

Me staying in the home would depend on the specifics of the situation at hand and the immediate attitudes that are present and prevalent.

In my vehicle...I doubt I would stop...IMO, as soon as you stop, the entire situation just elevated and you're (most likely) screwed! In an attempt to stop me...IMO get through and get gone! A few broken windows on a truck and a person's leg getting broken from being run over is not near as bad as being pulled from your vehicle and beaten! If you're in a large group of individuals and are trying to stop me, IMO, you have already threatened me...and I would defend myself sufficient to survive!

There's potentially a lot to consider in this scenario...

Thoughts? Recommendations? Suggestions?

1)..Stay put. We are prepared for these things.
    2)..Again, we have contingency's.
    3)..We are prepared for these things.
    4)..We have Auxiliary power options. Again, prepared.
    5)..No, we would not stop. Not under these conditions. "Reginald Denny" comes to mind.
    6)..Wash rinse repeat. We have plans in place. There will be enough of us at the mouse compound to defend it. Yes, family as well but the woman have a part in all of these plans.
    7)..Yes. We have worked our butt's off for what we have. If you come to take it bring help as you will need it.

My remarks are well reasoned as we do and always have had plans in place. Ever since 9/11 especially. People will loose Honor/morality/respect for life when hunger comes to call. In my mind if you can not be ready for a 30 day scenario then you need to rethink what you are doing.
    We know who will be here. The know what to bring.

Plan/prepare. The world is changing around us very rapidly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Some things can not be replaced or even covered by insurance Kut.

I'm sure that, like me, there's nothing you would hesitate discard, as long as you can ensure your family's safety. You can take a last look at your motorcycles and hot rods, and move on in confidence knowing you did the right thing. But don't look too long, you might turn into a pillar of salt, lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sure that, like me, there's nothing you would hesitate discard, as long as you can ensure your family's safety. You can take a last look at your motorcycles and hot rods, and move on in confidence knowing you did the right thing. But don't look too long, you might turn into a pillar of salt, lol.

Ha.......nice reference.

Well, if you met my crew you would see they are a stand our ground kind of group. We do have a place to go but to the person they would not leave unless Mother Nature sent the floods.
    In this scenario the walls would be manned. Literally, we are walled. It has not been dubbed the compound with out reason.....:cool:

To each their own in the skills and comfort levels they possess.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I don't forsee that amish rioting on my street any time soon, but let's say people decided to drive to the middle of nowhere to riot of a street of 3 houses.

Sadly, I would be forced to stay, and it wouldn't be to protect property or assets that are insured. I would stay to protect family.

Some people have loved ones that aren't capable of fleeing on a whim.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Where we live, over the past 5-6 years, our neighborhood has gone from under 11% rentals to greater than 55% rentals...and that changes our perspective on our options. It used to be we could trust just about everyone on our street...now we don't even know, much less trust, the people around us. We don't have any obvious drug marketing in our neighborhood...but we've had 2 houses get busted for growing marijuana and cooking meth (both before the downturn in our neighborhood.

We have had some racial issues though...involving renters and the individuals who came to visit them.

Insurance doesn't necessarily cover items damaged/destroyed during rioting...and that's one of our concerns is what items do we sacrifice?

Our 'sanctuary' is 10 miles outside of town and getting there would be our priority! One armed trip back, if necessary/able would be all we would consider (using a large trailer)...but it's not guaranteed!

My wife and kids would be gone asap if a situation develops...I would follow shortly thereafter if the situation would dictate that for survival.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where we live, over the past 5-6 years, our neighborhood has gone from under 11% rentals to greater than 55% rentals...and that changes our perspective on our options. It used to be we could trust just about everyone on our street...now we don't even know, much less trust, the people around us. We don't have any obvious drug marketing in our neighborhood...but we've had 2 houses get busted for growing marijuana and cooking meth (both before the downturn in our neighborhood.

We have had some racial issues though...involving renters and the individuals who came to visit them.

Insurance doesn't necessarily cover items damaged/destroyed during rioting...and that's one of our concerns is what items do we sacrifice?

Our 'sanctuary' is 10 miles outside of town and getting there would be our priority! One armed trip back, if necessary/able would be all we would consider (using a large trailer)...but it's not guaranteed!

My wife and kids would be gone asap if a situation develops...I would follow shortly thereafter if the situation would dictate that for survival.

In your situation I can see evacuating if you are the lone defender with the family.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    First, living in a rural community a long way from urban zones, I hope not to face the question. More likely to come up when I'm on business travel. Then I'm sort of disarmed. So I'd be looking a low profile E&E I guess.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Standing my ground.

12 Gage pump action cylinder bore with full length magazine and 000 buck. It's not called a riot gun for no reason. I can send 9 9mm balls downrange at a time. That's like emptying a standard pistol with every shot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Another reason I like living in the woods, unless the deer would organize a riot with the raccoons and squirrels it's pretty peaceful.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Benelli M4 with flares and rock salt. Lots of rock salt, backed up by AR-15's. Maybe dragon's breath rounds to scare the $h** out of them.

Truth is, if they get near my neighborhood, things have turned REALLY bad. They'd be WAY out of the city. I'd bet our town would block roads leading in. That wouldn't be too difficult and there would be LOTS of volunteers to man armed roadblocks, I would imagine.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Benelli M4 with flares and rock salt. Lots of rock salt, backed up by AR-15's. Maybe dragon's breath rounds to scare the $h** out of them.

I'd ditch the rock salt, and use live rounds, in such a situation. "Ouch!" doesn't carry as much weight as "Omg, theres a 3 inch hole in his chest!"

Top Bottom