• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Saw this today:

The Problem With Leaving a Gun in Your Car - The Atlantic

I try not to leave any weapons in my car, but there are times when I have very little choice. I often have to spend time on university campuses, and even though it is not illegal, if I get caught and banned, it could cost me my job.

It's just the same liberal whipsaw tactic. "Heads you lose, tails I win."

Anti-civil rights nag: "Don't leave guns in cars!"

Us: "But if I don't leave it in the car and carry into the school, .gov will prosecute me for a felony."

Anti-civil rights nag: "Don't have guns then."

The do the same thing with open vs. carry. Remember all the hysteria about "pocket rockets" during the Clinton Gun Ban? Guns got smaller and more powerful because of the antis banning new production of 10+ magazines and then they got hysterical over the natural response to their legislation.

Tell them to screw off. They do not have our interests in mind. I'm off to put a G3 on the dash of my Audi.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    They brought up the BS "super owner" line in the article. Great, that ridiculous statement is now metastasizing in anti-gun circles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not to give undo credibility to the liberal rag. People steal guns from cars they believe might have them. We should work on being a lot more stealth in relation to this. :twocents:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't regularly read the Atlantic, but when I looked at the other articles on that page, such as the horror of income inequality, I realized why I don't read it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would counter with: Don't gussy up your car to make it look like a rolling, "I have tons of guns" billboard. I can guarantee that hoods know gun logos and would target those vehicles first over my crap box with only a Stone Temple Pilots sticker on the back. :D

Most of my friends that have had break ins on their cars, always "I forgot to lock the door" or they left a parcel/bag in the seats. I may leave a cheapo AR in the trunk, but my pistol stays with my work bag and comes inside with me. I have the serial and pictures of the AR and all my arms well documented. Lock your doors, all of them. Take your garage door opener in with you is more important, as thieves will target that over your guns they may stumble over (guns and any change in the seats are a welcome surprise for them!). Clean the interior of your car clean, no junk or boxes, don't make it look like there's something in there!

If you're being targeted for your guns, you have worse problems than what's in your car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I leave my garage opener in the car. But my man door is locked, overhead door is on the alarm, and I try to also hit the opener lockout button in the garage. (makes the remote useless)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My gun stays in my car at work because I can't have it with me there. I wish I could but laws come in to play where I live and work so I just have to deal with it.

As to security, my car is kept clean of any and all stickers. My interior is kept clear of any trash and belongings. My garage door opener is kept out of sight and my doors are always locked. I have insurance for my property but if there is ZERO indication of anything interesting inside the vehicle, I have a much lower chance of having any issues. I also drive a Corolla, nothing interesting comes out of a Corolla...

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    Crap article. A few anecdotes about guns stolen from cars, but zero hard stats on the number of reported gun theft from cars; just a vague stat of a "40% increase" in car thefts. 40% of what?! Keeping your stuff out of site, not parking in crap areas, and following common sense helps immensely.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I work out of my truck so I can't ever have it clean and tidy. I have tinted back windows, but that is about the best I can do right now.

No gun stickers, no NRA or sporting mags on the dash. I have a firearm in there but someone is going to have to dig for it to find it. If I do use that truck for longer travel I clean it out. But for everyday use it is full.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    What I got from that is that I am a "Super Owner". :rockwoot:

I do have a firearm in my vehicle. I always keep the vehicle locked, and I work in a rural, low-crime area. At home, the vehicle is in a locked garage. The reason I keep it there is for when I'm traveling through less-safe areas.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Article says, "In 14 of 15 cities that provided data for the study, police departments reported a 40 percent average yearly increase in the amount of guns stolen from cars." Wondering what the raw numbers are. That could mean, in stead of 3 guns, 5 guns were stolen.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I only have a gun in my car while I am working, the rest of the time I carry. I cannot carry at work and with the way our building is situated along with the security cameras, it would be hard not to notice someone getting into one of our vehicles. Whichever gun I take with me in the morning, comes in the house when I get home in the afternoon. I do not leave a gun in my car even though I lock it.
    One thing I cannot understand is how many times I have seen someone have a gun stolen from an unlocked car in Bloomington. At least once a week in the police beat section, there is a report of someone having a gun stolen from their unlocked car. I'm not sure if it is due to carelessness, forgetfulness, or just people being dumbasses. I for one do not want any of my guns stolen, I like my guns and I definitely would hate for one to be stolen and used in a crime. I feel like part of being a responsible gun owner is making sure the chances of my guns being stolen are next to none.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I keep a gun my truck while I am at work because of work rules. I do not leave a gun in my vehicle at home. Generally speaking I am always armed even in my house. I take my gun off when I go to bed.

Top Bottom