• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    For all you working in a non-friendly environment at a desk job what methods have been most useful to carrying? I spent much money on several options and ultimately landed on the J-frame (not exactly a S&W fanboy, it's just where I landed first) and have loved the versatility and ease of ccw with this piece. What makes it a true keeper whereas the other mouse guns fell off is the ability to make hits with it. I can shoot this guy better than I could the other makes and models but there is one caveat: once you've shot all 5 rounds you end up in a bad place as re-stoking this gun is difficult and becomes incredibly so when under stress. So, here I am at a new crossroads: I could purchase a second J-frame and carry 2, although 2 pistols AIWB is getting outside of the comfort factor that makes the J-frame so convenient. Look at the 327pc? While not any faster to reload(probably slower, actually) it has more bangs per cylinder. It's also bigger, but is it bigger enough to detract from the advantages already discussed about the J-frame?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ruger LCP. Either in a front or back pants pocket.

I'm also considering trying an ankle holster because I recently pickled up a Ruger LCR.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Back in dental school I carried a J-frame in a belly band under my scrubs for the first couple of years. My last year I bought a Kahr CM9 and started carrying that in the belly band instead. Having the 6+1 in 9 in something that was easier for me to shoot trumped the snubby. I still like a J-frame for winter coat pocket carry, and I have since bought a lefty holster so I can carry it AIWB as a BUG, but I find as you do that 2 AIWBs (usually a g26 on the right side) is a bit much.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    While working in an office, I carried a J frame in a pocket holster for a few years. I left that job and began working for my self. Switched to to a Glock 36 IWB. I work in a gun shop now and enjoy the ease of not needing to conceal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For all you working in a non-friendly environment at a desk job what methods have been most useful to carrying? I spent much money on several options and ultimately landed on the J-frame (not exactly a S&W fanboy, it's just where I landed first) and have loved the versatility and ease of ccw with this piece. What makes it a true keeper whereas the other mouse guns fell off is the ability to make hits with it. I can shoot this guy better than I could the other makes and models but there is one caveat: once you've shot all 5 rounds you end up in a bad place as re-stoking this gun is difficult and becomes incredibly so when under stress. So, here I am at a new crossroads: I could purchase a second J-frame and carry 2, although 2 pistols AIWB is getting outside of the comfort factor that makes the J-frame so convenient. Look at the 327pc? While not any faster to reload(probably slower, actually) it has more bangs per cylinder. It's also bigger, but is it bigger enough to detract from the advantages already discussed about the J-frame?

With practice you can reload the J almost as quick as a semi.
    I carried the J and/or 1911 depending on where and when. I could top off the J nearly as fast as the 1911.
    That's been a while back so it may fall into the dinosaur and not as tactical category these days.
    Practice the reloading and it'll eventually be fast enough to suit your needs.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I have carried a J frame in a variety of friendly and less than friendly environments for more than a decade. I never could get inside the waistband to be comfortable so I have been a pocket carry guy. Even today, when I work in a carry friendly environment, I sometimes have coworkers asked why I'm not wearing a gun. I just tell them there's always a gun.

I also find my 642 to be relatively easy to shoot. Last week I was shooting a steel silhouette at 40 yards with it and could go 5 for 5 pretty easily with a good rate of fire.

I use the Safari land speed loaders which don't require a knob turn. I find them to be not difficult to use as long as you spend some time practicing.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Probably a tad off topic for what's being addressed here, but I carry a small or mid-sized auto (Beretta, PPK, Officers 1911) in my attache'. Outside panel, easy access, no shadow. Not as fast a pocket, and surely it doesn't travel to the bathroom with me, but I know where it is and am well practiced with them. I figure if I get surprised...well, I'm too old to win a quick draw. If I'm out and about, PPK in a bellyband holster is easy this time of year. Again, a little slower to get at--but quickdraws are for the movies, not my engagement of choice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only "real job" I've worked for any length of time and carried was while working IT. I highly recommend the Smart Carry and any single stack pistol. It's slower to access, but if you've got an active shooter unless you're the first guy targeted speed of the draw isn't particularly relevant. I carried a gov't 1911 in the Smart Carry with no problems. If anyone does notice a small bulge over your crotch, they ain't saying nothing about it.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I also carried a J frame (442) when I needed to carry a small size gun. Recently purchased a Kahr CT40 and a IWB holster. Found it to conceal as well as the J frame. The grip is longer which makes for better accuracy and allows 7+1 capacity. Extra mag is small and flat. The double action striker fired action does take getting used to but you should always practice with your edc. I recommend the Kahr C series. Fine pistols at a lower price point.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    What about the ultra-light (maybe not ultra concealable) S & W 327 PC? That short little pug nose packs 8. If they made the 686 snub in scandium I'd be drooling over that one as well.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Reloading technique and practice could answer your needs. I do think, however, that a second J frame would be the ticket. Carrying on each side of your belt buckle could lead to some interesting situations. I like to have my second gun accessible to my support side, but perhaps carrying one aiwb and the other strong side at 4 oclock or so might be worth a try. Are you using speed loaders or strips?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I had all the 327 PC, the standard aluminum J-frame and a 686 snub nose on the counter at the same time and the 686 would be the cat's meow if Smith and Wesson made on in scandium and not the heaviest steel they could find. It is a good compromise of size vs capacity in this realm of snub nose. 327-I'm just not accustomed to that much girth in my pants. I have been carrying two guns for a few days now. It is certainly a different way around the issue of having enough bullets.

I've never really considered the second gun for having more bullets, per say. I've consciously made the decision for the sake of arming those around me.

I prefer to carry my bullets like the bulls on parade: WITH A POCKET FULL OF SHELLS!
    I'm playing. I use many methods based on the dress for the day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What about the ultra-light (maybe not ultra concealable) S & W 327 PC? That short little pug nose packs 8. If they made the 686 snub in scandium I'd be drooling over that one as well.

Width is harder to conceal than length, IMO. If I wanted 8 shots, I'd go with a Shield. Quite a bit easier to learn to reload quickly too, if you worry about such things.

Top Bottom