4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Won't somebody think of the ch...
    Wait.
    No.
    I can't do it.
    I tried.
    But the words can't come out without me falling over laughing.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    If the fact that teachers "can" carry guns keeps one misguided individual from trying to shoot up a school, then great! Does put a lot of pressure on the teachers to make sure they are alert and mentally ready to face an armed attacker. Not an easy task for the untrained!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Wonderful news. The district close to me would never allow it... until they start swapping out board members.

They got a grant to hire one off duty officer. He is responsible for four different locations. Someone wanting to do harm only needs to drive by a school looking for his vehicle.

Meanwhile all the occupants are trapped like rats in a sinking ship if anything were to happen.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Wonderful news. The district close to me would never allow it... until they start swapping out board members.

They got a grant to hire one off duty officer. He is responsible for four different locations. Someone wanting to do harm only needs to drive by a school looking for his vehicle.

Meanwhile all the occupants are trapped like rats in a sinking ship if anything were to happen.

Not true. Schools are gun free zones. No murderer would bring a gun into a school...that would be against the law. Duh!

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I would be interested to know if teachers are expected to seek out threats or just engage threats they are confronted with. It doesn't seem smart to me to have teachers leaving classrooms full of students.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I think it works best as a deterrent for active shooters.

I would also think the teachers would shelter in, as they do now, and wait for the threat.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I would be interested to know if teachers are expected to seek out threats or just engage threats they are confronted with. It doesn't seem smart to me to have teachers leaving classrooms full of students.

Texas has about 100 school districts that allow some teachers and/or staff to carry. There are two ways to do it -- they can authorize teachers/staff with Licenses to Carry to simply carry, or they can go the School Marshal route (which also requires a LTC for the Marshal). Or I guess they could do both. For the ones that go allow carry simply on the LTC, they can train or not as they see fit, but there are at least a couple non-state-sponsored training programs offered by various self-defense instructors, often called "Guardian Angel" programs. The School Marshal program is established in state law, and there is a formal 80-hour training program provide by a law enforcement academy that includes physical security, improving the security of the campus, use of force, active shooter response, and weapon proficiency. The sole purpose of the School Marshal is to prevent the murder or serious bodily injury, he's not supposed to just be another cop on campus.

I don't know the specifics of what is taught in that program, I think it is somewhat close-hold in order to prevent a killer from devising counters. But the number of school marshals are limited to one per 400 students, IIRC. I would think with that kind of ratio the School Marshal would seek out an engage a killer, not wait for him to work his way to wherever the Marshal is. But I dunno for sure.

I would guess that since Colorado's law requires some training, they will probably look at what other states have done.

Top Bottom