• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Would like to hear from those with experience.
    Either themselves or those with children (sub-21) that want an LTCH or have one.
    Yes, I carried at 18. But that was over 25 years ago. To say there's a difference in attitude with this generation is an understatement in my mind.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's their right. Just like I think the no drinking till 21 thing is bs too. When I was 18 I had already been in combat. Don't judge a whole generation by some. Kids end up the way they are because of the people that raise them most times

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My youngest asked for his LTCH for Christmas this year. He's a bit older than your 18 year old but he's taking my advice and waiting to carry until we can take a class or two together.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know 18 year olds who I would rather see with an LTCH than some "more mature" schmucks who only take their gun out for 50 rounds the day they bought it, and never since!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    This is in no way an opinion of your 18 Year old.

I think the biggest difference in the past 25 years would be having an 18 year old now that is responsible enough.

I've seen lots of young adults walking around the mall and such that I really hope do not carry. I would see no problem with a honest, respectful and responsible 18 Y.O. carrying, though it may be a good idea to discuss with them how to handle a police encounter while they are carrying. Not being LEO I'm not sure but I could see an officer being a little more nervous about a younger adult having a gun on them.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Would like to hear from those with experience.
    Either themselves or those with children (sub-21) that want an LTCH or have one.
    Yes, I carried at 18. But that was over 25 years ago. To say there's a difference in attitude with this generation is an understatement in my mind.

We should teach the youth that there is no reasonable path to requiring them to ask or purchase permission from the State to keep and bear arms, yet somehow we got here.

Then teach them that it will soon be on them to fix this travesty, among other travesties we've saddled them with.

Then, equip them to boldly question and think so they may become more successful than we, the people, who let it slip so far for so long.

:)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Constitutional carry will soon be the law in Indiana and all 18 year olds will be allowed to carry.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I believe your son has been involved in gun sports for some time. I also know that you are more than a qualified instructor of gun safety. I doubt that anybody here can judge your son better than you, you probably already know your answer...

At 18 I had already left home and was living on my own (not well, but still.). My mother's opinion at that point was little more than her opinion. I didn't have a LTC, I was more worried about paying for heat and food. Had I wanted one, I would have had it, right or wrong. So, since he now wants one, I would ask the question: Is he prepared to have one?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    As long as people keep putting pressure on Speaker Bosma to actualy do his job this year

He knows there will be no consequences, same as last time. What sort of pressure do you believe you are putting on him?

How does your pressure differ from what I would call nagging? :dunno:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Three of my four kids got their LTCH when they turned 18, and the fourth will be getting his in a month, when he hits 18. All four have had experience with firearms from a young age, and 2 of the four have taken formal training courses. Since we live on the north side of the Ohio river, I have always been more concerned about them straying into Kentucky, where they would have to be 21 to carry (2 of them are now over 21) but I've made sure that they are aware of the responsibility that goes with carrying.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes, OC may be fine, I'm referring to CC as they (my kids) do in Indiana. Due to Kentucky requirements of 21 to apply for their carry permit, an Indiana resident must obey Kentucky law while in Kentucky.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Times have changed, obviously. There`s no way to allow for the few mature 18 year olds, and most are too immature and irresponsible to be trusted.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Times have changed, obviously. There`s no way to allow for the few mature 18 year olds, and most are too immature and irresponsible to be trusted.

Sure there is: You are responsible for your actions at 18. If you act immaturely and irresponsibly, you will be held both responsible and accountable. This may result in the loss of things you don't want to lose, among them your property (a fine, or your gun), your liberty (jail time), or even your life.

And while those resultant losses of property or liberty may be appealed in court, the fact that you will be held responsible and accountable is a certainty, if we do things right.

Tell your 18 year olds this and that they are not immune- it doesn't only happen to other people. Teach them that before they are 18- long before.

There's your solution.

Blessings,
    Bill

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    As I said, my kids have all got their LTCH upon turning 18, and have acted responsibly. Not only that, but out of all their many friends, I'd say at least 75% of them would be people who I would have no problem with carrying in my presence, or anyone else's. Yeah, there are some morons in that age group, but, what age group DOESN'T have its morons?

Top Bottom