• Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think greenwood has a
    city court. So it's a no go by law. Just one example.

With all of these crackheads running around killing cops trying to be the next malcomX I don't think a police station is a very safe place.
    i believe in protecting myself. The right to bear arms isn't a right granted by men. We are all free to make our own choices. I won't tell anyone to break the law. But I will state that sometimes the laws are wrong. I'm not acting like a bad ass or trying to argue, I'm just stating what I believe and stand for. I do like to know when it's "legal" or "illegal" to carry in a place that I'm going though. I do wish more people would truly believe and STAND for something.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think greenwood has a
    city court. So it's a no go by law. Just one example.

i believe in protecting myself. The right to bear arms isn't a right granted by men. We are all free to make our own choices. I won't tell anyone to break the law. But I will state that sometimes the laws are wrong. I'm not acting like a bad ass or trying to argue, I'm just stating what I believe and stand for. I do like to know when it's "legal" or "illegal" to carry in a place that I'm going though.
    I walked into the Greenwood station about a month ago. Even told the officer I walked in with. He said "no problem". And I don't remember seeing any sign, though there may have been one.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So if there's a detention center or a jail or a court, is the whole police station off limits or what?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So if there's a detention center or a jail or a court, is the whole police station off limits or what?

Depends on the type of detention I guess. There's holding cells at CPD HQ, but I don't think they apply. I think it's more along the lines of awaiting trial or serving a sentence type detention areas.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I walked into the Greenwood station about a month ago. Even told the officer I walked in with. He said "no problem". And I don't remember seeing any sign, though there may have been one.
    There are lots of cops that don't know all the laws. I don't blame them. You'd have to be a robot to know all of them. While we think all cops should be educated in all the gun laws because it is a big issue to us, to some of them it's not so they don't know them.
    I'm not going to confirm or deny if I have carried in there or any other police station but if one did it's easy for no one to know.
    use to be the officer in greenwood at the desk wasn't really a full police officer anymore. They had a retired officer up there just wearing his old uniform I believe. My point not being a put down on him just using as further info that he might not know the law. Or maybe it is legal to carry there.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    There are lots of cops that don't know all the laws. I don't blame them. You'd have to be a robot to know all of them........

I work in Ohio. Early this past summer I was on a job that required that we have "rent a cops". We used the local county deputies. While we were setting up, we had a few minutes of down time which found me having mild conversation with a group of three of these deputies, each having 10 years of service or more with the county. Great opportunity for me to get an answer from the guys "on the street". So I ask, "I have an Indiana LTCH, Ohio code says that the county I work in , or an adjoining county can issue me an Ohio CCW, or should I just rely on Ohio reciprocity with Indiana and consider myself good with my Indiana LTCH?"

Three deputies, three different answers. 1) Contact our CCW officer during normal business hours at the Sheriffs office. 2) You are good to go with your Indiana LTCH. 3) "You have a what?" "Where is our sergeant? I will see what I can find out, but I don't think you can carry. Stay right here I will be back"

Not saying anything mean about anyone. Just thought it was interesting responses.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I work in Ohio. Early this past summer I was on a job that required that we have "rent a cops". We used the local county deputies. While we were setting up, we had a few minutes of down time which found me having mild conversation with a group of three of these deputies, each having 10 years of service or more with the county. Great opportunity for me to get an answer from the guys "on the street". So I ask, "I have an Indiana LTCH, Ohio code says that the county I work in , or an adjoining county can issue me an Ohio CCW, or should I just rely on Ohio reciprocity with Indiana and consider myself good with my Indiana LTCH?"

Three deputies, three different answers. 1) Contact our CCW officer during normal business hours at the Sheriffs office. 2) You are good to go with your Indiana LTCH. 3) "You have a what?" "Where is our sergeant? I will see what I can find out, but I don't think you can carry. Stay right here I will be back"

Not saying anything mean about anyone. Just thought it was interesting responses.
    Damn, that's kinda scary.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    There are lots of cops that don't know all the laws. I don't blame them. You'd have to be a robot to know all of them. While we think all cops should be educated in all the gun laws because it is a big issue to us, to some of them it's not so they don't know them.
    I'm not going to confirm or deny if I have carried in there or any other police station but if one did it's easy for no one to know.
    use to be the officer in greenwood at the desk wasn't really a full police officer anymore. They had a retired officer up there just wearing his old uniform I believe. My point not being a put down on him just using as further info that he might not know the law. Or maybe it is legal to carry there.
    Oh, I understand.
    btw, the cop I informed was a swat member that was taking a report (and a handful of drugs) from me.

um... let me reword that. I was turning in the drugs. He wasn't confiscating them.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

That seems about right. Like TT said, no cop could possibly know all the laws.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Some even like to make stuff up and tell you it's the law.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I carry in the local PD's no worries. Carry in the county PD as well, but just don't go thru the other set of doors which takes you to the building where the jail is.

Used to be that I would walk into one of the local PD's with new acquisitions to show a couple of the officers that were interested in firearms. Most of them are gone now, so I just go in when I have business to attend to.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not to argue, but to inform: The law allows for any building with a courtroom to be off limits. It does not require it to be so, and I'm aware of two county courthouses, one of which very specifically allowed carry, while the other just doesn't forbid it. The former of those was made to happen in part by the efforts of an INGOer.

I wish I could truthfully say I was the one who did it. Alas, I am not.

Blessings,
    Bill

I think greenwood has a
    city court. So it's a no go by law....

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Also consider the example of Marion County Jail although not a police station I think(?). To enter it has an area with lockers for visitors and employees to unload their stuff prior to going through detectors. At a glance it would be OK to carry in, lock it up and then enter. HOWEVER, it holds juveniles so it has an IPS (school) in it making the entire building off limits.
    My point:If the police station has a detention center that is big enough it might have a school presence.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) As as been said - the answer you seek is "Maybe, depending on circumstances." If there are detention / court facilities in the building then it's verboten.

B) Greenwood, Indiana police department is housed in the same building as the City Court. There are stand-up signs on the exterior of the main entrance prohibiting weapons - including firearms. Carry is verboten at the Greenwood, IN P.D.

C) Not all LEO know the laws that WE are most familiar with.

Top Bottom