• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I know what the rules are as far as leaving your firearm in your car, but what about overnight stays? I'm reading that pretty much no matter what, they want your firearm in a locked box in your locked car. I do not see where it is at all permissible to bring your firearm into say, a hotel, with you. Am i understanding that correctly. I have gotten my limited knowledge from my ccw app on my phone.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    IANAL/TINLA.

You can have it loaded in your hotel room with you. But to get it to the room you either have to have permission from the hotel to carry on their property or transport it between your car and room lawfully. It must be unloaded and enclosed in a case. A case can be just about any container that closes, I would recommend something that either zips all the way up, or is a "hard case" with some sort of latch. I wouldn't recommend something like a purse or such that simply has a flap that closes. Ammo/magazines can be in the same case.
    720 ILCS 5/24-1
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    A LTCH counts as a FOID for this section of code per the IL Supreme Ct.
    PEOPLE v. HOLMES | FindLaw

One word of caution, no gun signs hold weight of law in IL. I do not know how that applies to hotels/hotel rooms though.

Last edited:

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    IANAL/TINLA.

You can have it loaded in your hotel room with you. But to get it to the room you either have to have permission from the hotel to carry on their property or transport it between your car and room lawfully. It must be unloaded and enclosed in a case. A case can be just about any container that closes, I would recommend something that either zips all the way up, or is a "hard case" with some sort of latch. I wouldn't recommend something like a purse or such that simply has a flap that closes. Ammo/magazines can be in the same case.
    720 ILCS 5/24-1
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    A LTCH counts as a FOID for this section of code per the IL Supreme Ct.
    PEOPLE v. HOLMES | FindLaw

One word of caution, no gun signs hold weight of law in IL. I do not know how that applies to hotels/hotel rooms though.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you, Timjoebillybob.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    In several previous threads on this subject the prevailing interpretation of the illinois law was that you are allowed to have a loaded gun in your hotel room, you just can not carry it loaded from the car to the room.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    So IL is like Indiana where a no gun sign isn't the law unless it's already a place that's a gun free zone like a school?

Not how it works in Illinois. An approved "no gun sign" carries the weight of law as far as "carrying" a firearm. That is loaded and readily acessable as in a holster is considered "carrying." There is also "transporting" a firearm where the firearm is unloaded and in a case. In other words an Indiana resident with a carry license may carry inside their vehicle. When you reach your destination you must unload and case the handgun to be transported into your hotel room. Once inside your room you may uncase and load the handgun and "carry" inside what is now your "abode." Hope that helps clear it up, Jim.

NOTE: When printing the sign, please ensure the black borders surrounding the "no firearms" symbol measure 4 inches from top to bottom and 6 inches from left to right.

This is the official sign from the ISP website, as noted it must be 4 X 6 inches or larger with a white background and black borders and carries the weight of law. Any other variation including a 12 foot high flashing neon sign should give you the idea you are entering an area unfriendly to gun owners but it is not illegal.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Well posting the sign info didn't work out real well as you can see. I welcome anyone who can either resize it or tell me how to do it. Jim.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Not how it works in Illinois. An approved "no gun sign" carries the weight of law as far as "carrying" a firearm. That is loaded and readily acessable as in a holster is considered "carrying." There is also "transporting" a firearm where the firearm is unloaded and in a case. In other words an Indiana resident with a carry license may carry inside their vehicle. When you reach your destination you must unload and case the handgun to be transported into your hotel room. Once inside your room you may uncase and load the handgun and "carry" inside what is now your "abode." Hope that helps clear it up, Jim.

If that's true, I wish I brought my gun into the hotel room during my friend's wedding. It was in the trunk of my car the whole time.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

It occurs to me that all that unloading/reloading/repeat BS just to walk into your hotel room is opening the door for NDs and such. The public would be safer if gun owners weren't required to manipulate their guns all the time for basically no reason.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It occurs to me that all that unloading/reloading/repeat BS just to walk into your hotel room is opening the door for NDs and such. The public would be safer if gun owners weren't required to manipulate their guns all the time for basically no reason.

There is NOTHING the Illinois Dems would like better than a out of state gun owner having a ND.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Illinois Dems are not all the same, with downstate Dems being 2A supporters with just a couple exceptions. North of I-80 they are just what you might expect and worse. we in Illinois did not get a carry law because 2A supporters got enough votes to push through a good bill. The 7th circuit court of appeals ruled that Illinois laws preventing any carry outside the home was unconstitutional. Without this ruling we would not have a carry law today. We had versions written that were much better but could not get them passed even with the court's ruling. This was the version put out from Mike Madigan the house speaker and emperor of Illinois. He made it as expensive and restrictive as possible while still meeting the guidelines of the court. The anti 2A Dems are still pi$$ed about having any carry bill but can't do much to it so are trying to give us ammo serial #'s and dealer licensing just to get even. Jim.

Top Bottom