• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm asking this in order to pass along information to my neighborhood's Facebook Group. Yes, my 'hood has a FB group. And, yes, I belong to it.

Apparently yesterday at some point, some kids in a house saw a "suspicious" guy at their door with a crowbar. This generated a 911 call - but nothing was found upon officer's arrival / cruising through the 'hood.

I would like to post a set of "tips" on how to best de-select a house from a smash/grab type activity.

-exterior lighting. Always on and/or motion activated
    -lock all exterior doors (and windows) and keep them locked
    -keep garage door closed as much as you can to keep prying eyes from seeing inside
    -plant roses and/or other "unfriendly" shrubs under windows
    -Internet-enabled real-time doorbell camera like Ring (www.ring.com)
    -Internet-enabled real-time high-definition security camera system
    -At the very least, signage stating home has a monitored alarm system
    -monitored alarm system

What else can I add to the list? This needs to be somewhat "bland" - yet effective. I do NOT want to get in to anything about what to do if someone gains entry into a house.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My tips- Be selective who you invite into your home, and be careful about posting your whereabouts and schedule on social media.

Ooh! Fantastic. Thanks for that.

Along with that - children's social media stuff, too. If they're under your roof, my opinion is that mom/dad/guardian should have unfettered access to stuff like that. If your kids are posting stuff up on social media, it can certainly aid those looking for a quick score.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My tips- Be selective who you invite into your home, and be careful about posting your whereabouts and schedule on social media.

Yep. My old neighbors were not the best people to live next to. Pretty sure the 19ish year old was selling dope while wearing an ankle bracelet. Or was is the 13 year old? :scratch:

Anyway...they were broken in to 3 times during the 2ish years they lived there. The mom came over and told me to watch out for break-ins, etc...then the next time she told me to call the cops if I saw anyone/thing suspicious over there. I saw new cars there every day at all hours. I'm not calling the cops to your house every time your son meets a car in the driveway, leans in the window for 30 seconds and then leaves. During this time, my house had (still has) an alarm system with signs out front. I was never broken in to, and as far as I can tell, no one tried.

Pretty sure it was the "friends" who knew the layout of the house and where things were located. Knew when no one would be home and took advantage. And/or the son left the door unlocked and told them to come and get it. Stealing (having someone else do the dirty work) from his own mother would not surprise me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Don't walk around outside with gun cases if possible.

Replace 2 screws per hinge with 3.5 inch screws into the studs. *

Replace the the screws of your strikeplate and deadbolt plate with 3.5 inch screws. Consider installing a reinforced deadbolt plate*

Dont leave your garage remote in the car outside.

Install slide locks so you can open your door a couple of inches without allowing it to be easily forced. Train your family members to open the door with it engaged unless they are absolutely confident who it is on the other side. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-4-1-8-in-Satin-Nickel-Slide-Bolt-Entry-Door-Chain-Guard/3353146

It is just as important, if not more so to secure your back door.

Most importantly, be selective in your friends and who you let in your house. A large percentage of burglaries are by people who know the homeowner and have been inside.

* don't over tighten the screws. You just want them to be flush. If you over tighten them you will distort the frame of the door and it won't close or seal properly.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just because someone rings the doorbell doesn't mean you need to answer it. If you are not expecting someone simply ignore them, even if they saw you through the window. Especially if it is after dark.

Know your neighbors. Watch out for each other and communicate if you will be on vacation or if you have workmen coming so they know what's going on and won't hesitate to call you or 911 as appropriate.

Close your garage and lock your doors when working outside. If you are on the other side of the house with the garage door open who is going to stop the thief? And even if you pushed the button lock on that cheap interior door to your house it will not stop someone from entering your home.

Always lock your car doors. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Yutes walking the street testing to see if car doors are unlocked.

Teach your spouse and kids the importance of home security.

See something, say something. Don't hesitate to call 911, that is what you pay taxes for. If your not sure keep the police desk sergeant's number handy so you don't feel guilty about dialing 911. Sometimes asking "do you need help" or giving a stranger the stink eye will send them on their way to easier pickings.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    An insurance agent, writing policies is an urban, high rate of smash and grab type neighborhoods, told me that the single best deterrent is a dog. The reasoning was that smash and grabbers are looking for the easiest target and may be under the influence when making decisions. It is not the time for a subtle deterrent. A barking dog causes them to move on.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Know your neighbors, and look out for each other.

Park your cars in the garage. If not, at least keep them locked, with nothing of any value (at all) in sight.

Don't leave anything else of value out and about. Includes putting the box/packaging out for the trash (TV boxes, for instance).

Keep your garage door down. All the way. Not cracked so your dog/cat can get in/out.

Close and lock your 1st floor windows.

Putting the last crook's head on a pike also works well, but not approved by most HOAs.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll also probably put something up on there about doing ones best to not confront/challenge individuals - but I'm waffling on whether or not to include something like that.

"Except for the one IMPD officer none of us are cops. It's not smart business to confront people who may be up to no good."

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'll also probably put something up on there about doing ones best to not confront/challenge individuals - but I'm waffling on whether or not to include something like that.

"Except for the one IMPD officer none of us are cops. It's not smart business to confront people who may be up to no good."
    That might be a little bit of an over broad generalization, perhaps something about being extremely prudent if considering confronting someone and that usually should only be done as a last resort?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Know your neighbors, and look out for each other.

Park your cars in the garage. If not, at least keep them locked, with nothing of any value (at all) in sight.

Don't leave anything else of value out and about. Includes putting the box/packaging out for the trash (TV boxes, for instance).

Keep your garage door down. All the way. Not cracked so your dog/cat can get in/out.

Close and lock your 1st floor windows.

Putting the last crook's head on a pike also works well, but not approved by most HOAs.

I can't tell you how many times I see my neighbor's garage door left open and empty for hours.

As for the head on a pike, as HOA VP, I'll spearhead that tasks in our neighborhood. I want a head at each of the nine entrances.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    An insurance agent, writing policies is an urban, high rate of smash and grab type neighborhoods, told me that the single best deterrent is a dog. The reasoning was that smash and grabbers are looking for the easiest target and may be under the influence when making decisions. It is not the time for a subtle deterrent. A barking dog causes them to move on.

And believe it or not, small yappy dogs are worse for them than big dogs. Little ones bark much more at anything. They are more worried about sound and attention than being attacked.

Acknowledging and greeting strangers you see is passive yet productive. Once you have made eye contact and acknowledged them, they now know they are not in the area undetected and there is a witness to their presence. That can make some less determined criminals move on.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    All our doors have reinforces hinges and strike plates, plus reinforcement around the lock.
    If your back doors have large windows like ours do, we looked at two different options, since perps could break out a pane and get to the lock:
    Double deadbolts, and keep the keys elsewhere (not good for a fire emergency, but secure).
    Attach a sheet of plastic (Lexan, etc) on the inside that covers window area, with lots of screws and possibly a metal frame. Also helps with insulation.
    Best would be replace the wooden doors with something more secure, but that's not an option for us.
    Keeping this near the front door:
    https://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Door-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    -lock all exterior doors (and windows) and keep them locked

What else can I add to the list? This needs to be somewhat "bland" - yet effective. I do NOT want to get in to anything about what to do if someone gains entry into a house.

I would suggest some security doors with multi-point latches as well as laminated glass. I put Larson Secure Elegance "storm doors" on two of my entry points. The back patio entry has a wrought iron door. Installation was actually fairly easy, but some minor modifications might have to be made depending on the existing door and door frame. The wrought iron doors needed hardware, which you just purchase the knob and deadbolt that you can change to your current key. The Larson doors have a removable latch and I took it to a locksmith who charged me $15 per lock to re-key it to my house key. So now our original key still works all the locks on the house.

Here is a video of the Larson Secure Elegance door. Sold at Menards and Lowes (Home Depot has a similar option thought a different brand).

[video=youtube;MjVNYuUWP6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVNYuUWP6U[/video]

Also, security bars that go under the door handle and run to the floor work very well also.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [video=youtube;MjVNYuUWP6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVNYuUWP6U[/video]
    Hmmm... The attacker is going after the door, but who not break the narrow window on the side, then reach in and open the door. Or just kick in the frame between them with looks weak.
    Also, security bars that go under the door handle and run to the floor work very well also.
    Yeah, but only if you don't need to get into from outside.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    There is "hardware armor" you can get to reinforce the doorjamb, and keep it from being so easily kicked in, get it, install it on all perimeter doors. You can get a doorbell camera that`s great for seeing who is at the door whether you`re home or away, this is a great tool to monitor the front door. NEVER leave the garage door remote in the vehicle. If you are on any of the social media sites, refuse to get caught up in announcing vacation plans and timing. ALWAYS have ALL doors and windows secured/locked, even when you`re home. NEVER deal with contractors who show up at your door soliciting. YOU make the contacts when you need or want work done, never encourage strangers showing up at your door uninvited. Always have a handgun within reach in the house, or better still, have a handgun on your belt even at home. You`re NOT paranoid by doing this, you`re keeping you and your family safe. Home invasions occur unexpectedly and QUICKLY.

Top Bottom