Prohibiting gun free zones: Yea? Nay? Constitutional?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    I was just thinking about how nice it would be if I could carry a firearm anywhere I wanted to. I don't even know if there are any state level laws anywhere that prohibit private no-gun zones but it would surely be nice. Then again, maybe that's too much of an infringement on private property rights like banning smoking in all businesses including bars. Thoughts?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Many businesses say that they are gun free because of insurance reasons. Maybe the answer is to require any gun free zone to carry an expensive insurance policy that would be required to pay for anyone injured on their property by someone violation the gun free zone.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Many businesses say that they are gun free because of insurance reasons. Maybe the answer is to require any gun free zone to carry an expensive insurance policy that would be required to pay for anyone injured on their property by someone violation the gun free zone.

I can't remember but I think someone has done this. Or at least proposed it at a state level

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Prohibiting gun free zones on private property, no.
    Prohibiting gun free zones on all public property, yes.
    Creating liability/can sue laws for gfz on private property, no.
    Removing all legal barriers from allowing a lawsuit if injured/harmed on private property because of gfz, yes.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Prohibiting the prohibition of the peaceful exercise of an individual Constitutional right. Sounds Constitutional to me.

You have every right to control your property, but when you allow the public access, then your private property rights do not trump their Constitutional rights.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Prohibiting the prohibition of the peaceful exercise of an individual Constitutional right. Sounds Constitutional to me.

You have every right to control your property, but when you allow the public access, then your private property rights do not trump their Constitutional rights.

Gotcha. So, people can say whatever they want in any business without consequence? Express themselves however they want?

Sorry, but I can't get behind that idea.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Reflexively, I say "states' rights."

Now, regardless, I think there's room for a civil right of action against a private property owner who creates a property-rights based GFZ but fails to provide adequate protection for invitees. Perhaps even a limitation on sovereign immunity where a state has a law mandating a GFZ but fails to provide adequate protection for the public within that GFZ.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was just thinking about how nice it would be if I could carry a firearm anywhere I wanted to. I don't even know if there are any state level laws anywhere that prohibit private no-gun zones but it would surely be nice. Then again, maybe that's too much of an infringement on private property rights like banning smoking in all businesses including bars. Thoughts?

The Constitution permits private property to be trumped by civil rights.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1964/515

Top Bottom