• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2014
    Richmond
    I am a bit of a lurker, having only made a few posts, but I did want to ask a question and get some feedback on something if I could...

This election got me thinking as I saw countless videos of people being attacked during protests or after events in which their were protesters protesting.

Now I don't want this to be a political debate, I for one do not care who you voted for, but I witnessed many mob-like attacks singling out an individual and ultimately injuring them severely. The person being attacked usually just got beat up or received a few bumps and bruises but that was not always the case. Some of the more popular attacks would be the lady who was a pro-trump supporter who was quite literally surrounded by a mob trapping her between the entrance to a building that was barred where she was spit on, egged, and had things thrown at her; or even instances of people leaving say an event being attacked while trying to get to their vehicles or exit the building in which the event was held.

My observation was that in no cases did I witness anyone put up any defense in the form of a firearm, when at least in my opinion in many of the cases it would be more than justified, or well at least I think it would be, hence my post here. Now I know this is highly likely due to firearms preventing you from participating in many of the political events going on, so I do understand their absence, but wanted to understand if present if they could have played a part in protecting some of these people and how best one might go about doing so if faced with a similar event

So as not to have a huge degree of debate about the situation, let me pose two hypothetical situations and see what folks things might be the best course of action for reducing your chance of being harmed.

Situation #1:
    You have excited an event and are simply wanting to proceed from the event to your car that is several blocks away in a parking garage. Your entire route is through many a protestor acting quite belligerent albeit not posing any real aggression, other than they continue to follow you (group of 6-8 hoodlums) using foul language. As you enter the parking garage their taunts increase as does their level of aggressiveness beginning with them snatching your hat and perhaps even ripping a sign from your hands, at this point you find yourself surrounded by 6-8 hoodlums and are pushed to the ground. <go>

Situation #2
    Much like the above situation you are leaving an event towards your vehicle that is several blocks away. This time the crowd is a lot more "charged" than the above mentioned crowd and they en-mass follow you (100+ folks) most of whom are just whooping and hollering and yelling out taunts, but with several of the front line protesters getting a bit physical with hard shoulder bumps, maybe an egg or having water sprayed on you. You eventually find yourself cornered between a building that you cannot gain entrance to and a crowd of 100+ if not more folks that have forced you into a tiny alcove. The taunts are going up, someone has thrown an egg, and let's for amusement sake say you have your 13 year old daughter with you who wanted to attend her first political event. <go>

My opinion that situation #1 is totally justified after finally being pushed down to go to guns with such a huge disparity of force. I don't know that I would come up blazing away, I think I would hope that its presence was enough to make the fools scatter, but at that point I think I'm justified to bring out a weapon.

This one has me perplexed... the crowd because it is so large has you entrapped, but only the front line are actually getting aggressive. Part of me wants to say that if you (the crowd) decide to act like an idiot and swarm a person, then you might get what's coming to you and that has me thinking that especially if a physical touch occurs and especially with child beside me I may bring a weapon out. But I can't imagine firing into a crowd, that being said the first time my child is hit, or I am shoved to the ground, then all bets are off and I hope hollow-points don't over penetrate.

That being said, what are your opinions on what you might do, and the legal ramifications of doing it?

Cordially,

Grendal

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Get out or avoid the location.
    If cornered and you have fear of severe bodily injuries from an imminent attack, then do what you have to do to protect yourself or family.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You must be extremely careful in the decision to draw your weapon. I believe it is a mistake to think simply drawing your weapon will cool a situation, it may inflame it. Much like the mistaken notion that the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will scare away a bad guy, drawing your weapon without needing to, or planning to fire it, might make a tough situation a lot more difficult. I believe you only present lethal force when, and if, lethal force is necessary, NOT in an effort to defuse a situation.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I gotta agree with the idea of avoiding the situation entirely. I think you would be completely justified in remaing in the venue until the protesters dispersed, or stopped showing any signs of belligerence.

If the situation were a bit different, for example, peaceful crowd at event, then run into the belligerent crowd while returning to your vehicle... I guess it would really depend on the specifics.

Bottom line, If I'm carrying, and feel like there is imminent danger to me and mine, AND there is a reasonable chance of diffusing the situation or dissuading attackers with a show of force (Situation 1?)

I kinda feel like in situation 2, going for a weapon would only escalate the issue, and possibly turn a case of harassment into violent attack. I don't want to be responsible for firing into an unarmed crowd if it can be avoided.

Just a couple thoughts. Definately don't want to ever have to answer this question for real.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    We will probably see a lot of political protest for the next year and when every you see flags like I posted then you will probably see the BS like we been seeing at Trump Rallies by Anti-American groups like Antifa or communist belief political groups which usually like to riot and create problems for the police. Your best form of self-defense is to recognize a bad situation before it happens so stay aware of you surrunding to aviod the problems before they happen. The video is a little over 30 minutes long but pretty interesting to watch. [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvN5o2aRNs[/video]

Attachments

• tmp_10259-qt-a_dg1955925998.gif
      tmp_10259-qt-a_dg1955925998.gif
      1.2 KB · Views: 2
    • tmp_10259-antifa534272850.gif
      tmp_10259-antifa534272850.gif
      11.9 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    While I feel a group of hoodlems surrounding you and getting physical would warrant one or two of them getting shot(6-8 beating you down could easily kill you), I would be very hesitant to pull a gun on unarmed people as I really don't want to spend my life in prison....I have little faith in a trial against me going well. People are wierd these days.

I would just avoid the whole situation.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I suggest carrying lots of ammo. I would shoot a few fatally in each situation hoping to discourage the others. Then head for the car for the ar to shoot who ever else is in the way of my escape. :rockwoot:The safest crowd to shoot into is always the unarmed crowd....

like they say the best time to kick a man is when he is down.

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Just wondering in what way the message or it's content is relative to the events at all? The headline makes it sound like some sort of pre-meditated shooting. The article itself seems fairly (relatively that is) unbiased, but that headline is pure spin.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Once you're on the ground it's to late, figure out what you will do before and there's nothing wrong with running if you are quick enough to get away.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    In sit 1, for me, I am 60 and a DAV, don't know if that will help, in the eyes of the law, or not .....

If I am on the ground, and surrounded, there is NO ESCAPE, I am in fear, and I will shoot .....

Sit 2, is about the same, AFAIAC, someone has "touched" me, battery, or assault, I can't remember .....

Anyway, I would announce, that I am armed, and in FEAR, and I want to walk away .....

Then the "ball" is in their court ..... Up to THEM, what happens next .....

OP, call Guy, on Sat between 5-7 pm, and ask him, what is legal, in In.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In sit 1, for me, I am 60 and a DAV, don't know if that will help, in the eyes of the law, or not .....

If I am on the ground, and surrounded, there is NO ESCAPE, I am in fear, and I will shoot .....

Sit 2, is about the same, AFAIAC, someone has "touched" me, battery, or assault, I can't remember .....

Anyway, I would announce, that I am armed, and in FEAR, and I want to walk away .....

Then the "ball" is in their court ..... Up to THEM, what happens next .....

OP, call Guy, on Sat between 5-7 pm, and ask him, what is legal, in In.

Do NOT do that. That has not worked out well for people who have done this. People have been interpreting that as "I am armed, and I'm making my case to shoot someone." If it comes to the point that you have to draw and shoot, draw and shoot.... no warning required.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Do NOT do that. That has not worked out well for people who have done this. People have been interpreting that as "I am armed, and I'm making my case to shoot someone." If it comes to the point that you have to draw and shoot, draw and shoot.... no warning required.

Suddenly this comes to mind.
    [video=youtube;AApIyQK-vEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AApIyQK-vEQ[/video]

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    You must be extremely careful in the decision to draw your weapon. I believe it is a mistake to think simply drawing your weapon will cool a situation, it may inflame it. Much like the mistaken notion that the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will scare away a bad guy, drawing your weapon without needing to, or planning to fire it, might make a tough situation a lot more difficult. I believe you only present lethal force when, and if, lethal force is necessary, NOT in an effort to defuse a situation.

This is probably the most important consideration to make in the use of a firearm amidst a mob. Obviously a group of ~10 dudes following you is different and that is a big enough disparity of force to warrant drawing down if they lay hands on you, but if we're talking a group of 100+ shouting profanities and spitting, you need to consider whether drawing down will get you out of the situation or make you a target of more fervent aggression. People act strangely and counterintuitively in large groups, and through firing on them you may either disperse them or incense them to real violence. With a child or other precious cargo in tow, that consideration is even more important.

My advice would be to not get stuck between a wall and an angry mob ever, at all. Better to deal with the certainty of contact with many individuals on my way out of the area than risk the probability of being put in a corner. If you need to shoot your way out of an angry mob, you are rolling the dice on whether you actually get out at all. Make the safe bet by not even playing that game, full stop.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't like large crowds. So I don't attend any type of event or large gathering. So the above scenarios aren't realistic in my life.

I prefer to stay in my own little world in my little town :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Follow Tuco's advice: "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

Top Bottom