Slimmest, lightest, most snagless double stack (15rd+) firearm in 9mm for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Hey Folks!

I am looking for some recommendations for a new conceal carry handgun. I have quite a few handguns, but oddly enough much of what I currently own is full-size or sub-compact\micro. Typically half the year in jacket weather I wear a full size OWB firearm. The rest of the time I carry something that can fit in my pocket. However, I am moving away from using any low capacity firearm for self-defense outside of a BUG role. This means I am looking for a new compact/carry gun. Currently all I have in that category is a Springfield XD Compact Service model .45 ACP. It's a great shooter and very reliable. However, it's pretty bulky and heavy and I am moving away from .45 ACP. I love .45 ACP but I now prefer 9mm due to capacity concern. While not trying to stir up a stopping power vs capacity\shot placement debate, I was wondering if I could get recommendations for a 15 capacity 9mm semi-auto that is generally considered comfortable IWB (I know everyone is different and holsters\belt make a big difference).

Basically what I'm asking is for the slimmest, lightest, most snag free double stack (15 rds +) firearm in 9mm you know of.

Currently high on my list is the up-and-coming CZ P10C FDE. The other is Sig Legion P229 (I believe it's compact). I am definitely concerned about the weight of the P229 being an all metal build. The CZP10C fits in Glock 19 holsters so may be good but I've not held one yet.

Other thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The new CZ looks nice!

Glock 19 is sort of the industry standard. I hate to be that guy who says go Glock but they really are hard to beat for size and capacity in an easy to carry package. You might also consider a Glock 26 and simply carry a spare 15/17 round magazine. I carried a Glock 23 (same size) for many years and found it concealed well. But the Glocks are still to wide for me to prove rly use a tuckable holster.

Walther PPQ is another good choice. About the same size a a Glock 19 but a bit more rounded.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    There is nothing slim bout the P229.

Get either the Glock 19 or the P320, which is the current hotness because of the Army adoption

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i have a ruger sr9c comes with a 10+1 and a 17+1, i carry iwb with 10, have carried with the 17 a few times, with the 17 handle sticks out alittle with my alien gear.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All the guns that people are mentioning are about the same weight and width. (Except the Sig 229, they are heavy). Unfortunately 15 round capacity double stack and slim do not coincide.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    All the guns that people are mentioning are about the same weight and width. (Except the Sig 229, they are heavy). Unfortunately 15 round capacity double stack and slim do not coincide.

That does seem to be the case. But some are better than others in terms of weight and shape. Glocks and Springfields feel like blocks to me.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    i have a ruger sr9c comes with a 10+1 and a 17+1, i carry iwb with 10, have carried with the 17 a few times, with the 17 handle sticks out alittle with my alien gear.

I actually looked at the sr9c. So far it IS the slimmest and lightest I've seen. Looks like a great fit. My problem with it was that it's ugly, old, and has a pretty cruddy trigger. :p Maybe I should reconsider? I compared it with the P320C for a double stack side by side.

IMG_9354.jpg IMG_7788.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you want slim, while still being light and mid range capacity, I'm thinking a CZ 75 D PCR might be the ticket. It's a bit heavier than a polymer gun, but is pretty slender.

But I still love my PPQ.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Glock but 26 - you can always up the magazine to the 15 or 17 round mags; or add the +2 extension to any of the mags.
    and the 26 is lighter than the 19.

That's gotta be worth a nickle? no? ok ... then its just my personal preference.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I love my XDM 3.8 Compact with the extended magazine it holds 19 rounds and the short magazine holds 13. I wouldn't call it slim, but it fits my hands way better than the single stack XDS. I prefer it to the Glock 26 when shooting them back to back.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock but 26 - you can always up the magazine to the 15 or 17 round mags; or add the +2 extension to any of the mags.
    and the 26 is lighter than the 19.

That's gotta be worth a nickle? no? ok ... then its just my personal preference.

I am a big fan of the G26. I traded the one I had for a G19 only because the G19 is so popular. I kept both guns in my range bag simply as loaner guns for newer shooters. Both run great but I actually preferred the little G26. Xgrip makes a nice sleeve that fits the G19 mags and turns the G26 into a comfy little gun with a 15 round capacity.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am a big fan of the G26. I traded the one I had for a G19 only because the G19 is so popular. I kept both guns in my range bag simply as loaner guns for newer shooters. Both run great but I actually preferred the little G26. Xgrip makes a nice sleeve that fits the G19 mags and turns the G26 into a comfy little gun with a 15 round capacity.
    I love the 26 as well, but find that anywhere I carry it, except ankle carry, I can carry the 19 as well or better since the 19 doesn't wanna "flop" out of the waistband as much. Once you add an X-grip, you are trying to conceal a 19 anyway.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love the 26 as well, but find that anywhere I carry it, except ankle carry, I can carry the 19 as well or better since the 19 doesn't wanna "flop" out of the waistband as much. Once you add an X-grip, you are trying to conceal a 19 anyway.

I agree! I didn't carry either gun. I moved from the G23 and settled on commander sized 1911s. But the advantage of the G26 is the shortened grip for those times you need that. But the G19/23 is a great do all size.

Because I have to tuck my shirt during the week I opted for a Wather PPS classic. It is very Glock like but much slimmer. Trade off is 8 round capacity.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

Never had an issue w/ the 26 ... OWB on a belt loop holster or a paddle holster (which is actually for an Sprglfld XD LOL) - Also have a cross breed (Mills Tactical) IWB that is for a 19 ...

always solid - now I'm temporarily w/o the 26 - traded so the wife got her G43 and would quit leaving her 19 at home. (problems solved)

I sometimes carry the 19, but it feels to big to me - to long on the barrel for a good draw; .. I carried the 26 w/ either the +2 or flush - depending on how deep and sure I needed to be on the conceal. ... and I never bother with the sleeves so we can use the mags in either gun in a SHTF situation; if needed.

my $0.05 worth ... YMMV.

Top Bottom