• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Although I got my Indiana lifetime LTCH when I moved in 9 years ago, I'm starting to explore different employment opportunities that likely will take me out of state, most likely back to Illinois. Yeah it sucks, but gotta pay the bills somehow. Other prime options are Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. As I have family in Missouri and Kansas, I drive to those states several times per year. I also drive throughout the midwest states for for vacationing, and don't want to lose my legal ability to carry while on the road. I recognize that carry in Illinois is very tricky and likely the out of state permit won't help there.

My assumption is that the Indiana lifetime LTCH becomes invalid when I move out of state. If this is incorrect, then the rest of the post is immaterial. I'll just keep what I have.

I'm primarily looking for something to cover me while my residency permit lapses, but not wanting to spend thousands and weeks in training. Whatever state I end up in, I would pursue the in-state license once I moved. Would it be worthwhile to consider the Non-resident Utah CCW while I'm still in Indiana? Is there some other state that I should consider? It looks like the fees for Utah are reasonable, but has a required class. Can I get a rough description of the class duration and cost of that class?

I have done very little research into this so if I'm missing something obvious, please let me know.

Thanks!
    --Rick

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    When I got my Utah permit the class was about 4 hours and cost $90. That included finger prints. You will also need a passport photo. The permit itself cost $65 then I don't know about now. You might look into the Arizona and Florida permits as well. Both can be done through the mail and cheaper when you consider the cost of the class. The real advantage of the Utah is a much lower renewal fee and its good for 5 years. You do not have to retake the class. Go here and click on the states you are interested in and compare them. Use the create a map page to see which states accept the permits you are considering.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just last week I mailed off my renewal application for my Utah permit.
    Anyone know how long it takes to receive your new permit?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    When I got my Utah permit the class was about 4 hours and cost $90. That included finger prints. You will also need a passport photo. The permit itself cost $65 then I don't know about now. You might look into the Arizona and Florida permits as well. Both can be done through the mail and cheaper when you consider the cost of the class. The real advantage of the Utah is a much lower renewal fee and its good for 5 years. You do not have to retake the class. Go here and click on the states you are interested in and compare them. Use the create a map page to see which states accept the permits you are considering.

Utah is becoming less valuable to us (last I checked, it adds DE, NE, NV, and WA), but the equation might be different depending on one's state of residence. Back when I got mine, it gave me OH, WV, and MN, all of which are places I visit; OH and WV now honor IN, and MN no longer honors UT.

IIRC, the Utah non-res requires that you have a permit/license in your state of residence. I do not know if this is an initial requirement only, if it applies at renewal (I think it does, but can't recall), or if it is a constant requirement (i.e., if you move and don't get a resident license in your new home, does Utah become invalid?). I also don't know if you need to reapply if your residence state changes.

Bottom line is that if someone moves to IL, they need to swallow hard and go through the process as soon as possible.

Top Bottom