Chicago Trip + Firearms Carry Possibilities?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    I am taking a business trip to Chicago (flying \ uber). I have an Indiana Carry License, and I realize there is no reciprocity. I do not have a non-resident license for Illinois. I'm wondering if I can get advice on how maximize my "force multiplier" here.

Tentatively I am planning on carrying a limited OC spray (I believe Illinois\Chicago legal) and have it checked at the airport. But I'd also like to check a compact handgun and bring it with me to Chicago. I realize that it might have to remain unloaded and made not easily accessible, but I'd rather have a-not-easy-to-access-pistol then none at all. So, I was wondering, can one backpack carry an unloaded firearm if its locked, with ammo stored in separate compartment? I realize this method of self-defense would only be minimally useful and really only in an active shooter context, but it would make me feel a bit better.

Any advice welcome! Thanks!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hope you get some good advice. I was just there last week for 3 days on a business trip and I didn't like not having a gun with me. We took Amtrak to Chicago and I was told that some trains don't allow firearms at all and that if the destination has laws prohibiting firearms, they also wouldn't let you take them aboard. Since I was traveling with cohorts, I didn't take the chance and getting denied boarding.

Was a little unnerving the one night we walked down Cermak Ave to a seedy, little BBQ joint for dinner. We were a group but I kept thinking of the movie, The Warriors. I could have sworn I heard someone say; "Warriors, come out and playyy!".:)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What would you gain by having a gun in a locked box in a backpack? If you were to pull it out and load it, you would be breaking the law. I can't imagine many scenarios where you would have the time to do so if you wanted to defend yourself, but I can imagine come where you lose the backpack and the gun.

Stick to well traveled areas and with people. Don't be out on the street late at night, and be aware.

Are you staying downtown some where?

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I will be having the same concerns shortly. I just accepted a new job offer and will have to attend training "just outside of Chicago". I figured I would just jump through all the hoops and get an IL non-resident only to find out you can't if you live in all but 4 states. This is complete BS!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bezeled flashlight and Zebra pen.

7dba3415-3284-46a2-a91b-00afe159a171_1.5f678c458a11ef8d2ddd10e536c1d23d.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Stainless-Ballpoint-Retractable-29411/dp/B002L6RB80

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm wondering if I can get advice on how maximize my "force multiplier" here.

Drive a car, you can carry the gun in your vehicle.

entatively I am planning on carrying a limited OC spray (I believe Illinois\Chicago legal)

Yes.

But I'd also like to check a compact handgun and bring it with me to Chicago

Why? You'll just loose it in the mugging or have it stolen from the hotel room.

So, I was wondering, can one backpack carry an unloaded firearm if its locked, with ammo stored in separate compartment? I realize this method of self-defense would only be minimally useful and really only in an active shooter context, but it would make me feel a bit better.

It is a weapon, not a magic talisman.

You want to carry a gun around Chicago, but aren't carrying it loaded but in a locked Pelican or whatever? I don't understand.

If CPD finds it, you may end up in jail and pay thousands upon thousands in attorney fees.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    What would you gain by having a gun in a locked box in a backpack? If you were to pull it out and load it, you would be breaking the law. I can't imagine many scenarios where you would have the time to do so if you wanted to defend yourself, but I can imagine come where you lose the backpack and the gun.

Stick to well traveled areas and with people. Don't be out on the street late at night, and be aware.

Are you staying downtown some where?

Well, I don't know what I can get away with. The goal to have access within 5 seconds to give me a chance at defending against an active shooter scenario - super unlikely - but reassuring to be able to have an option.

Basic safety common sense is something I typically practice, but the Ft Lauderdale Airport should have been safe place at a safe time when the shooting happened, yet it wasn't safe. Evil can be pretty unpredictable. Broad day light and "safe" neighborhoods only mean so much.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Drive a car, you can carry the gun in your vehicle.

Yes.

Why? You'll just loose it in the mugging or have it stolen from the hotel room.

It is a weapon, not a magic talisman.

You want to carry a gun around Chicago, but aren't carrying it loaded but in a locked Pelican or whatever? I don't understand.

If CPD finds it, you may end up in jail and pay thousands upon thousands in attorney fees.

I don't know anything about Chicago \ Illinois gun law. I just know it's strict. So I am asking for advice. If something will land me in jail then I won't do it - I'm not asking how to break the law but how to optimize my self-defense strategy in Chicago. That's the point of this thread.

Also, I am not trying to turn my gun into a brick and wear it around my neck, I am trying to have access to it in 5 seconds or so to use in an active shooter scenario. Pepper spray would be for immediate self-defense (though I don't know yet if it's legal).

Also, I have a sling backpack, I wouldn't be leaving it in the hotel, nor would I be baiting bad guys with it just leaving it lying around. That's like saying my CCW piece could be stolen. Sure. But doubtful with my usual level of carefulness.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't know anything about Chicago \ Illinois gun law. I just know it's strict. So I am asking for advice. If something will land me in jail then I won't do it - I'm not asking how to break the law but how to optimize my self-defense strategy in Chicago. That's the point of this thread.

Also, I am not trying to turn my gun into a brick and wear it around my neck, I am trying to have access to it in 5 seconds or so to use in an active shooter scenario. Pepper spray would be for immediate self-defense (though I don't know yet if it's legal).

Also, I have a sling backpack, I wouldn't be leaving it in the hotel, nor would I be baiting bad guys with it just leaving it lying around. That's like saying my CCW piece could be stolen. Sure. But doubtful with my usual level of carefulness.
    You think you can get your pack opened, get a gun out of a locked case and load it in 5 seconds?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Unless you are driving or have a badge, leave the pistol at home.

Weapons? You got pepper spray, a knife under 2.5" (no switchblades) and your SA. You'll need your SA. You'll need your knife for opening boxes at Crate & Barrel on Michigan Avenue.

Head up. Don't get scoped locked. Get your chin up and your eyes off your phone or you'll get Apple picked like some fat dolt from Wisconsin.

Hands out of your pockets. Don't wear goofy shoes. If you know a foreign language use it if approached.

Enjoy yourself. Have fun. I spent 3 years there (it was enough) and still enjoy going back (more of a Hyde Park guy).

If you want a restaurant rec, let me know. Until we can force Illinois to obey the Constitution with federal reciprocity, ditch the magic rabbit's foot of a gun. A Class 4 felony is not worth it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I didn't think pepper spray was legal.
    do people carry composit letter openers besides me? You can't beat a clean cut on an envelope, and not having to worry about if I took it out of my pockets going through a metal detector is a relief.
    You never know when you might need to open a letter. Games, communist states, ect

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I didn't think pepper spray was legal.
    do people carry composit letter openers besides me? You can't beat a clean cut on an envelope, and not having to worry about if I took it out of my pockets going through a metal detector is a relief.
    You never know when you might need to open a letter. Games, communist states, ect

I am not stabbing a stew bum.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    You think you can get your pack opened, get a gun out of a locked case and load it in 5 seconds?

A locked case? No. Or maybe, haven't really tried. A gun out of a separate compartment from the magazine? Yes. This reply also assumes I know anything about Illinois\Chicago law (locked case?). I asked for advise, remember.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Unless you are driving or have a badge, leave the pistol at home.

Weapons? You got pepper spray, a knife under 2.5" (no switchblades) and your SA. You'll need your SA. You'll need your knife for opening boxes at Crate & Barrel on Michigan Avenue.

Head up. Don't get scoped locked. Get your chin up and your eyes off your phone or you'll get Apple picked like some fat dolt from Wisconsin.

Hands out of your pockets. Don't wear goofy shoes. If you know a foreign language use it if approached.

Enjoy yourself. Have fun. I spent 3 years there (it was enough) and still enjoy going back (more of a Hyde Park guy).

If you want a restaurant rec, let me know. Until we can force Illinois to obey the Constitution with federal reciprocity, ditch the magic rabbit's foot of a gun. A Class 4 felony is not worth it.

Okay, so OC Spray is legal in Chicago? I've heard otherwise. And by your "magic rabbit's foot of a gun" you seem to be assuming I thought I would be carrying an unusable gun, which of course, isn't what I wasn't implying. I wanted to know Chicago\Illinois law to know manner of transportation, as there does seem to be transportation provision in the law.

Thanks for the situational awareness advice. I grew up in GR Michigan, went on trips to Chicago all the time. I just wasn't a CCW person when I went, hence my actual questions. :P

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Please allow me to rephrase the original question. What's the best way to ignore the law in Chicago and put myself in jeopardy of arrest?

Just leave the gun at home!

Top Bottom