Plinker

personal protection/carry laws in indiana

Hello all,
    I am new to the forum and am glad I found you guys as it looks like a great way to communicate with the locals. I looked through and didn't find anything addressing this questions directly so I hope I'm not repeating things to much.

I have a carry permit in IN and am looking for more information about a) the laws about carrying specifically b) personal protection laws (specically what kind of criminal trouble can I get into defending myself and what about a civil suit if I am cleared of any criminal action?)

I have found some penal code information such as IC 35-41-3
    Chapter 3. Defenses Relating to Culpability
    but this is all written in lawspeak. Does anyone have a laymans terms translation? From what I can make of it though it does sound like IN is pretty lienent when it comes to protecting yourself and you are unlikely to get in trouble with the law if it was justified? Is this correct? Does anyone have any information on case precidents?

The one thing I haven't been able to find anything about is civil suits. Lets say IN law says I have done nothing wrong can the family of the person I have to shoot while he is robbing me sue?

Obviously there is a very slim chance that these things will ever even become an issue with any of is and we are not looking for trouble. But things do obviously happen which is why we carry. So I feel the need to be as well educated before hand as possible. Thanks

Here's a link to the IC's containing the bulk of Indiana gun laws.

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

For an analysis of case law regarding carry issues, I recommend picking up a copy of Bryan Lee Ciyou's Indiana Handgun Law (both 1st and 2nd ed.)

Meh.

Expert Tactical Firearms Training's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyjosh View Post
    Hello all,
    I am new to the forum and am glad I found you guys as it looks like a great way to communicate with the locals. I looked through and didn't find anything addressing this questions directly so I hope I'm not repeating things to much.

I have a carry permit in IN and am looking for more information about a) the laws about carrying specifically b) personal protection laws (specically what kind of criminal trouble can I get into defending myself and what about a civil suit if I am cleared of any criminal action?)

I have found some penal code information such as IC 35-41-3
    Chapter 3. Defenses Relating to Culpability
    but this is all written in lawspeak. Does anyone have a laymans terms translation? From what I can make of it though it does sound like IN is pretty lienent when it comes to protecting yourself and you are unlikely to get in trouble with the law if it was justified? Is this correct? Does anyone have any information on case precidents?

The one thing I haven't been able to find anything about is civil suits. Lets say IN law says I have done nothing wrong can the family of the person I have to shoot while he is robbing me sue?

Obviously there is a very slim chance that these things will ever even become an issue with any of is and we are not looking for trouble. But things do obviously happen which is why we carry. So I feel the need to be as well educated before hand as possible. Thanks
    Forgive the shameless pitch, but Tactical Firearms Training offers a course entitled Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law in which we address all of these issues. Many of the questions you raise are fairly complex and difficult to answer in the "forum chat" context. My next CIGL class is October 4 at Eagle Creek Pistol Range. Check out Home Page.

I defninitly agree that Bryan Ciyou's book, "Indiana Handgun Law, 2d Edition" is an EXCELLENT resourse, although Bryan tends to be a little conservative in his discussion of the legal right to use deadly force in self defense - probably for liability reasons (which is perfectly understandable).

ATM
    Also, make sure you survive so that you can make it to the courtroom.

http://www.appleseedusa.org/

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

Expert Tactical Firearms Training's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    Also, make sure you survive so that you can make it to the courtroom.

Plinker
    Where can I buy this book? Im having a hard time finding it?

Quote Originally Posted by newguyjosh View Post
    Where can I buy this book? Im having a hard time finding it?
    The website is http://www.indianahandgunlaw.com but it appears to be down at the moment. Otherwise, he's at pretty much every Indy 1500 show.

Also, you can get it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Handgu...2373826&sr=8-1

Meh.

ATM
    Didn't read the INGO FAQ yet, did ya?

(It's linked in the first post.)

http://www.appleseedusa.org/

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!