• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Here's a thought... Someone posted a video about a group of people in CA being "e-checked" while OCing...http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mF7opZ_sI&feature=related, The kid in the video explains to the officer how to "e-check" his weapon. I have also read numerous posts where OC'ers have been disarmed by LEOs and the LEO was unfamiliar with their firearm. My question is... IF a "trained" LEO ever INSISTED on disarming you while you were LEGALLY CARRYING, then would you assist the LEO and help familiarize them with how your firearm operates? Or! Would you utilize your 'right to remain silent' and see how it unfolds? My thinking is that if anything were to go wrong (AND I NEVER WISH HARM ON ANYONE) then the blame will fall on the LEO. After that maybe LEOs will think twice before disarming LEGAL CARRYING CITIZENS... it could also make someone very rich:dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    you can tell the officer was trying to be careful of what he said and did after he noticed he was being recorded

Maybe, but his demeanor suggested he probably would not have acted much differently even without the recording. There were at least two other LEOs in the background ready to assist that never came anywhere near the "scene".

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Okay couple Noob questions..........

One why are the guns unloaded? Is that their state law? Isn't it kinda pointless for the guns to be unloaded?

Two how can the refuse to show I.D.? I thought that an LEO could I.D you and check for valid LTCH permit.

Just wandering

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville

One why are the guns unloaded? Is that their state law? Isn't it kinda pointless for the guns to be unloaded?

Two how can the refuse to show I.D.? I thought that an LEO could I.D you and check for valid LTCH permit.

Just wandering

Only big wig politicians and movie stars can get a carry permit in CA. The rest of the "little people" can only open carry unloaded firearms. You can at least have a loaded magazine on your person (as these men did), so it could be loaded quickly (probably not quickly enough though).

Since they weren't doing anything that required any kind of license or permit to verify and there was no probable cause that they were committing any kind of crime, the LEO had no right to demand an ID. It was nice to see he knew that.

Despite the politeness and professionalism of the LEO, it is still disgusting to see a couple clean cut guys obviously doing nothing more than enjoying a coffee bothered by an LEO just because they chose to exercise their rights.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Just wandering

Every State has a different term for their carry license/permit (except WI and ILL which don't have one).

In many states, you can OC without a license. From AK to VT and AZ to PA. No license needed and you don't have to show ID if you don't feel like it.

Indiana is one of the few states where you can open carry BUT you need a license for it.

In Kali, you can Open Carry but it must be unloaded. Nothing stopping them from having loaded mags ready to go however.

I believe kali is the only state that requires OC'ers to carry unloaded. All the ones I mention above, loaded is fine and dandy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I believe kali is the only state that requires OC'ers to carry unloaded. All the ones I mention above, loaded is fine and dandy.

Don't forget that in Kali, unloaded OC is the only way most people can carry, because CC requires an all-but-impossible-to-get permit.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Thankfully, I've never had my gun out of my holster. Except for at home or the gun range. I'd be nervous as hell having someone else pull my pistol (that doesn't sound good, I know). As for the states that allow OC without one in the chamber, what about creating a special holster to hold a racked firearm? Just practice pulling while having your thumb hitting the release. Basically same as flicking off a safety. Yeah, so it makes the holster a little larger, they are OC'ing. Just have it as a drop-leg.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    That made me seriously uncomfortable watching that officer take their firearms...when he did not know how to manipulate them. Ridiculous. I found it hysterical when he said that he didn't want the vid to be posted! :D

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That made me seriously uncomfortable watching that officer take their firearms...when he did not know how to manipulate them. Ridiculous. I found it hysterical when he said that he didn't want the vid to be posted! :D

In 2001 I had a cop in S FLA take a USP 45 off my hip. He tried to figure it out and handed it off to the second car that came up.... that officer proceed to talk about how awesome it was and started sighting it in on passing traffic... while it was still loaded. I told him "It's still loaded" and he about dropped it. I had to explain to them how to unload it. Yeah... that was the last (and only) time I've ever disclosed to a LEO that I was carrying. Don't ask, don't tell AFAIC.

Seriously, not a slight to the LEO's here, but most cops (yes most) are horrible with firearms. I've shot with dozens over the years (as a result of having numerous LEO friends as a FF/EMT) and most were awful, not to mention after moving up here and seeing the ones in NW Indiana at places like Deb's. Before that gary cop shot and killed his partner I told Deb "One of those idiots are going to shoot someone down there".... wasn't a month or two later and they did.

The worst part is, since they "carry a gun every day" they are the worst kind of gun handlers, they think it makes them an expert and because of their ego, it makes it just compounds the issue.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    IF a "trained" LEO ever INSISTED on disarming you while you were LEGALLY CARRYING, then would you assist the LEO and help familiarize them with how your firearm operates?

I tried but Officer Cowboy finally found the manual safety on my 1911.

He did manage to point it at me while fumbling around with it like one of the apes on 2001. It wasn't funny. What was funny (strange) is that he only insisted on dicking with one of my pistols and not the other two I had on me.

Why cops* insist on dicking with guns in public I have no idea. Makes us all unsafe and should be prosecuted criminally as Criminal Recklessness and in my case the cop should have been prosecuted for Pointing a Firearm.

*Well, some cops. When the deer hit my SUV last May the state cop that took the report only wanted to see my license and did not want to dick with my guns.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I figure e-check is for empty check. The haseling is a bit over the top though. i also think that la is a santuary city like detriot so you can deney proving who you are and showing id. its a law desighed to help keep illegals here. go figure.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thankfully, I've never had my gun out of my holster. Except for at home or the gun range. I'd be nervous as hell having someone else pull my pistol (that doesn't sound good, I know). As for the states that allow OC without one in the chamber, what about creating a special holster to hold a racked firearm? Just practice pulling while having your thumb hitting the release. Basically same as flicking off a safety. Yeah, so it makes the holster a little larger, they are OC'ing. Just have it as a drop-leg.

First, having a loaded mag in the pistol makes it loaded in CA, so it wouldn't be allowed.

Second, it is a really bad idea for multiple reasons:

1) Its dangerous. Running the slide forward is the most likely time for a gun to malfunction and cause an AD (true AD). This is why you ALWAYS have your pistol pointed in a safe direction while doing this. Not something you should be doing while drawing.

2) It is a slide catch, not a slide release. It is not meant to be used as a slide release nor should it be. Using it as a slide release does not provide the full force of the spring to load the cartridge and can result in the slide not coming fully forward (then of course it won't go bang). You should also never be in the habit of relying on fine motor skills to manipulate your pistol as you might be unable to when the SHTF. The proper way to load your pistol is to pull the slide all the way back, which will disengage that slide catch, and release it letting the full force of the spring slap it forward. No fine motor skills required (which you will lose during a stressful situation).

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I'm not going to say you are wrong about the "slide catch", because it makes sense, but I will say that this is not how the military(and I would assume Law Enforcement Agencies) train.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    2) It is a slide catch, not a slide release. It is not meant to be used as a slide release nor should it be. Using it as a slide release does not provide the full force of the spring to load the cartridge and can result in the slide not coming fully forward (then of course it won't go bang).
    Maybe for Glocks. Never owned a Kahr? They recommend using the slide release to chamber a round.
    What about on empty mag; You don't use the slide release after inserting the 2nd mag?
    Is this one of those slide catch/release arguments I've heard so much about?

Top Bottom