• ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Where is the pistol pointing?.

I was trying out different holsters and carry spots the other day and noticed that when I have the holster on the front portion of my belt that an accidental discharge while drawing could possibly hit the femoral artery. I dont like the pistol pointing at my leg!

Now carrying on the side canted back would worse case maybe get me in the calf if I was squatting or walking or maybe in the butt cheek.

I see folks doing the frontal carry often enough that it got me to wondering about this.

Anyone think proactively about an accidental discharge while packing/drawing and what could come of it ? or am I being paranoid about this.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i have given serious thought to how i carry. with me being in a wheelchair constantly it limits my options of how to carry and what is comfortable. personally i like a blackhawk or fobus type holster with belt loops and have it canted forward about 7-10 degrees. if my firearm was facing straight down it could strike my hip in a discharge. plus when i lean over it can push slightly out of my holster, so a retention holster is best for me also. so now in case a round accidently goes off in my holster the round will go towards the ground. it will stick my seat of my wheelchair and possibly the tire but it wont hit me.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    hmmm my holster protects the trigger as for pulling the trigger while unholstering causing a ND you must remember to keep your finger off the trigger unless you are pointing at what you intend to destroy.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There's no such thing as a accidental discharge only negligent discharge. But that's my :twocents:

My advice, keep your finger off the trigger until the you have the gun pointed at your target. If it's a self defense shooting, wait until your gun is pointed towards your target.

Last edited:

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    If you make a habit of drawing with your finger alongside the frame, and keep it there until you are pointed at your target you should reduce your chances of a Negligent discharge. It's even more important to make sure nothing (like your shirt or your finger) gets inside the trigger guard when re-holstering. A "Safe Action" gun like a Glock can be accidentally discharged this way. If you Make sure you do these things,the direction of the muzzle when the gun is holstered should be a non issue.

However, there is something about appendix carrying that seems a little scary the first or second time :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But, but Appendix Carry is the new hotness! How dare you question its coolness.:D

The goofball "let's all point the gun at our groin" craze has claimed too many lives already, despite its now being hip. Of course people like SWAT gun riter Steve Malloy shoot themselves between the hips and assume room coolness.

See Rule #2, be safe, not cool.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    But, but Appendix Carry is the new hotness! How dare you question its coolness.:D

The goofball "let's all point the gun at our groin" craze has claimed too many lives already, despite its now being hip. Of course people like SWAT gun riter Steve Malloy shoot themselves between the hips and assume room coolness.

See Rule #2, be safe, not cool.

Rep given!

Count me in this boat along with Kirk... I don't point weapons in the vicinity of my ManJunk.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Obviously, I "try" to keep my finger out of the triggerguard until I am on target and ready to shoot, but the very idea of the barrel pointing toward my groin when holstered is un-nerving.

I have to admit, back in the day when I was slim and my pants were tight, I would jam my 1911 Govt model inside my right-side waistband ...it seemed to be pretty stable there...then, but now I have too much jelly in that region to use this method, and its just as well, as it isnt really secure that way.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... A "Safe Action" gun like a Glock can be accidentally discharged this way. ..

This is not unique to Glocks. Examples:

Back in the day, even revolvers with much heavier double-actions were sometimes discharged like this.

For the XDer who reholsters with a full firing grip (many I've seen do this), it would happen the same way as with a Glock or any other striker fired handgun (Kahr, Ruger, M&P, etc.)

It works a bit differently if an XDer reholsters with a grip that actually makes use of the grip safety (i.e. like with the thumb on the back of the slide). If something jams the trigger rearward and holds it there (like maybe a shirt tail or something), nothing happens on the reholster (because the grip safety was exploited). But, the discharge will come if a full firing grip is later taken to draw the pistol and the trigger has remained jammed back. It simply shifts the discharge from the holster to the unholster action in this case

Holstering and unholstering are opportunities for fail regardless of design.

Know your equipment.

Holster and unholster with deliberation.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Definitely a concern. I like the XDs, because of the grip safety when holstering. Also, on a weapon with a hammer, I always keep my thumb on the hammer when holstering and unholstering. Most holsters completely cover the trigger guard area.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I pocket carry a P3AT every day. I use a pocket holster so the trigger is covered. However, the P3AT doesn't have a drop safety. Yesterday I was swinging my arms a bit and hit the butt of the gun in my pocket. For a second I had an O-poop moment... could I possibly discharge this gun just by hitting it... I highly doubt it.

In any case, muzzle isn't pointing at any part of my body, though it is so close that a discharge from the pocket would definitely cause some damage.

After work I strap on my G19 in a OWB serpa. I suppose it is possible to "accidently" (i.e. negligently) pull the trigger while re-holstering. That is why A) I don't pull the loaded gun out for kicks and grins, and B) use extreme caution while handling it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Of course people like SWAT gun riter Steve Malloy shoot themselves between the hips and assume room coolness. ...

As I understand it, Steve was carrying without a holster and died when he bent over, the gun (a 1903 Colt) fell out, discharged, and he was shot in the chest (not between the hips). Do you know of different circumstances?

Lessons for me:
    1. Use a proper holster regardless of how you carry.
    2. Carry a handgun of drop-safe modern design. Save the others for the range and plinking.

Print Page - S.W.A.T. Magazine writer dies after tragic accident.
    Tactical-Life.com Dropped Gun Inertia Discharge

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    If you make a habit of drawing with your finger alongside the frame, and keep it there until you are pointed at your target you should reduce your chances of a Negligent discharge. It's even more important to make sure nothing (like your shirt or your finger) gets inside the trigger guard when re-holstering. A "Safe Action" gun like a Glock can be accidentally discharged this way. If you Make sure you do these things,the direction of the muzzle when the gun is holstered should be a non issue.

However, there is something about appendix carrying that seems a little scary the first or second time :rolleyes:

XD's wont! They have that God forsaken grip safety everybody hates!

Ive often thought about where my gun was pointed in the holster and decided it is best pointed somewhere away from my groin. As much as I would like to be cool, I just cant appendage carry.

Top Bottom