Question: Michigan castle doctrine and vacation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    In the summer my inlaws, my wife, and I make our yearly trip to my wife's grandfather's beach house on Lake Michigan. This year I want to take my shotgun with us. I know that I am legally able to transport it to the vacation house and that Michigan law allows for the use of deadly force for protection when it is justified, but since I do not own the property am I still allowed to use deadly force to protect myself and the others in the family? Or do I have to hand gun to the grandfather to do it since it is legally his property?

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    In Michigan you are allowed to use what ever force you deem necessary to repel the intruder from gaining unlawful entry into your home!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Yes. Where you are has no bearing on self-defense. You can use deadly force at a 7-11.

This is not a true statement for the castle doctrine!! it must be your home, where you calling home, an occupied dwelling! It does include your front porch! out in the public you have to have threat of life and limb to use deadly force!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    This is not a true statement for the castle doctrine!! it must be your home, where you calling home, an occupied dwelling! It does include your front porch! out in the public you have to have threat of life and limb to use deadly force!
    You are allowed to use deadly force to repel an attack or prevent a sexual assault anywhere. You are not required to retreat, even at a 7-11. You can use deadly force anywhere you have a legal right to be. You do not have to be at home.

MCL 780.972

Last edited:
    Top Bottom