• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No, I dont make any of those.
    My gun is always pointed down range, even when it's sitting on the table unloaded with the slide locked to the rear.
    When the range is cold I usually step back a few feet from the table where my guns are, I dont even load other mags or do anything like that.
    I usually talk to other shooters or clean my brass.This way people around can see that im not touching my guns and that it's safe to go down range.
    If I have to move or turn around I do it while keeping my gun pointing down range.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    number 3 happens constantly at Wilber Wright, even amongst seasoned shooters. There is a guy I have seen several times who owns Garands and AR15s and even he loads mags and adjusts his rifles when people are down range.

Wine Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Once during a cold range, I went to turn my red dot sight off. The gun was unloaded, slide back, laying on the bench. My index finger had juuuuuust touched the knob when the range master barked at me. My face was reeeeeeeed.

:n00b:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    When I go to the public range I see more of this
    Willingly irresponsible behavior
    than any of the 5 mentioned observations. It's also gotten me to the point I wont be at a range if other people are around, because even if I've got an AR with one in the chamber a full mag ready to go, there's no guarantee that the next time someone decides to open up while I'm down range (or hell even down bench the last time I was at a DNR range "Don't point the 12gauge at me" "it's not even Fing loaded" *click*) that the first shot will miss and I'll even have the opportunity to return fire. And wearing a high visibility vest doesn't help indicate the range is cold or that someone is down range, to someone who just walked up to the bench it means that the range must have just installed, moving, yelling, cursing, flailing arm life like targets.

That empty section of super secret national forest next to Area51 sounds much better and safer, than any public range with people.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I figured with lots of folks becoming first time gun owners and going to the range, reading some of the basics are in order. Seasoned vets may find this as a quick review.

FWIW, I'd never heard the term "cold range" before. Just knew if someone was on the other side of the table not to shoot.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I never thought about loading mags when shooters are down range. I do that all the time. Guess I better knock it off! I didn't think it was bad etiquette at all.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I'd love to say I haven't, but I'm sure I'm ignorant of the facts (as is anyone else who says they've NEVER broken a single rule).

I never thought about loading mags when shooters are down range. I do that all the time. Guess I better knock it off! I didn't think it was bad etiquette at all.

That also seems perfectly fine to me. I respect this when I'm at a DNR or any other outdoor range, but otherwise all you have to do is follow the four rules. I can load my magazine without disobeying any of them. I would draw the line at loading my SKS, though, since I would have to be handling the firearm to do so.

But that rule is more of proper range etiquette than a safety issue.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    number 3 happens constantly at Wilber Wright, even amongst seasoned shooters. There is a guy I have seen several times who owns Garands and AR15s and even he loads mags and adjusts his rifles when people are down range.

Bit off topic but I had something strange happen at Wilbur Wright a few years ago. I was sighting in an AR on the 25 yard range and the range officer shows up to put up some new backstops. He just ignored me and walked out into the range and started working as I'm firing. I stopped and unloaded, locked the bolt back. He told me not to worry he knows I wont shoot him. I just waited for him to get done. Really threw me off to see a range officer just disregard safety like that.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am still new at the range. I appreciate the post and the information given. I also appreciate the discussion from the range pros on here. It helps me learn how things are to be done.

When I first started, I had basic introduction from my son, a National Guard vet. I probably have made some of these mistakes, but I did learn what "Cold Range" means the first time I visited Roush.

Thanks for the learning opps, folks.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I always start off new shooters with one round. That way, when they turn around, and they always do, even if you tell them not to, the are pointing a locked back slide at me. Then I point out their error, be slightly condescending yet humorous and they tend to get the point after a few "reloads". I'm not saying I'm perfect, but that's my method.

Top Bottom