• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobcoop06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Marshall County
    Man removed by PD for carrying at St. Joe County polls AGAIN?!

While working the FD today, I heard some traffic come across the radio from an off-duty police officer frantically calling for backup from St. Joseph County Police for a man with a gun at the polls at Warren Twp. Fire Department in Crumstown. He advised that the man was carrying and was asked to leave but was arguing and refusing to leave, the officer was requesting backup. I heard several units responding emergent and they assigned a tactical radio channel for the incident. I had to leave for a run, so I didn't hear any more on it. A Warren Twp. firefighter just stopped by the station and advised that police arrived and removed the man from the building because it's "illegal to carry a gun at the polls". Of course I corrected him and told him that it's not illegal.

Beyond that, I don't have any more information. Hopefully whomever it was, knows their rights (sounds like they did!) and will make the County aware of them as well. I did send ABC 57 News a message on Facebook asking them to look into the situation and shed some light on it. If anyone knows anything, chime in! :)

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Laws don't matter, if he was asked to leave and refused, he is trespassing, even if they got the laws wrong. This could be different because it was a poll and they could illegally ask anyone to leave they didn't want voting, but I'd imagine the workers are representing the property. Sad regardless.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Even if he was trespassing, which he was not, it was illegal for the police to arrest him.
    IC 3-5-4-4
    Immunity from arrest while at or going to and from polls
    Sec. 4. A voter is not subject to arrest while going to the polls, while in attendance there, and while returning from the polls. However, this section does not apply in a case of:
    (1) treason;
    (2) felony; or
    (3) breach of the peace.
    As added by P.L.5-1986, SEC.1.
    It appears that the only laws broken here were by the ones sworn to uphold them.
    I hope that he is financially well compensated for this violation of his civil rights.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Even if he was trespassing, which he was not, it was illegal for the police to arrest him.
    IC 3-5-4-4
    Immunity from arrest while at or going to and from polls
    Sec. 4. A voter is not subject to arrest while going to the polls, while in attendance there, and while returning from the polls. However, this section does not apply in a case of:
    (1) treason;
    (2) felony; or
    (3) breach of the peace.
    As added by P.L.5-1986, SEC.1.
    It appears that the only laws broken here were by the ones sworn to uphold them.
    I hope that he is financially well compensated for this violation of his civil rights.
    Oh, well breach of the peace for a thousand, Alex!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, well breach of the peace for a thousand, Alex!

Sounds like it wasn't breach of the peace until the police illegally tried to eject him and then arrested him for a law that doesn't exist. This guy's got a payday coming and rightfully so.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Fortunately I live close enough to home that I can drop off my pistol before voting but... my poll is in a school. How does this law affect the no guns on school property?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Sounds like it wasn't breach of the peace until the police illegally tried to eject him and then arrested him for a law that doesn't exist. This guy's got a payday coming and rightfully so.

Agreed. Even if he had been asked to leave and left, he was denied the right to vote. How do you put a price on that?

During the American Revolution, many paid for that right with their lives...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Agreed. Even if he had been asked to leave and left, he was denied the right to vote. How do you put a price on that?

Especially when it's guaranteed by both the state constitution and state statutes, as described above.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Not only is it a violation of IC 35-47-11.1, but it now becomes a Civil Rights violation as well. Scutter01 has it right... this guy has a payday coming, and rightfully so.

:patriot:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    so are schools, court rooms, government buildings, and many Indiana colleges. yet you can't carry there either, sad as it may be.

Sure you can. Well, at least the government buildings and colleges. Schools are forbidden, and courthouses MAY be (local ordinance or court order).

Fire departments are absolutely not on the forbidden list.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Fortunately I live close enough to home that I can drop off my pistol before voting but... my poll is in a school. How does this law affect the no guns on school property?

It has no impact on it. Schools are always schools, and therefor always off-limits to otherwise legally carried firearms.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Looks like some cops need some time in the general population.

IC 3-14-3-21.5
    Voter intimidation
    Sec. 21.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally intimidates, threatens, or coerces an individual for:
    (1) voting or attempting to vote;
    (2) urging or aiding another individual to vote or attempt to vote; or
    (3) exercising any power or duty under this title concerning registration or voting;
    commits voter intimidation, a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.103-2005, SEC.40.

Top Bottom