• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This was a great interview and reporting! Keep up the good work Guy. You are really making a difference.

PS - My wife has a new LTCH and will be taking your regular women's class soon. :)

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just did a walk through of the middle school with our PD and what they would expect from us as medics. The thing that I saw and mentioned it to the tactical guru is that A LOCKING DOOR with a small window for viewing that is high enough away from the knob/handle would be plenty to thwart most nut jobs looking to shoot up a school. I gotta think this would be a better solution financially than trying to arm teachers or principals who may not be eager to take up arms.

Im not totally against armed teachers or at least those teachers who would be receptive to weapons training but I so question the practicality.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I just did a walk through of the middle school with our PD and what they would expect from us as medics. The thing that I saw and mentioned it to the tactical guru is that A LOCKING DOOR with a small window for viewing that is high enough away from the knob/handle would be plenty to thwart most nut jobs looking to shoot up a school. I gotta think this would be a better solution financially than trying to arm teachers or principals who may not be eager to take up arms.

Im not totally against armed teachers or at least those teachers who would be receptive to weapons training but I so question the practicality.

What if we want to stop all nut jobs not just most of them? If there is going to be someone shooting at school. I want my gun not a door that locks.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Columbus announced in todays paper they wont allow teachers to carry firearms. They said it would be to easy for students to get a hold of them. Smh

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg

Just as guns are not the problem because they are inanimate objects, so too are doors not the answer. Because they are inanimate objects- that can be defeated. The only thing that has historically proven to end the destruction with these whackos is the approach of a good guy with a gun. Only then does a psycho shooting up a school take his own life and end the tyranny. No good guys with guns = free reign of terror. Rather than losing many young lives while waiting for a good guy with gun (GGWG) to arrive, why not allow those that may already have a LTCH and a firearm to proactively engage in the use of that firearm? That way, a GGWG will already be on site.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the logic that any door can be defeated then the locking box where a gun is located can also be defeated.

I don't have a problem with a teacher having a weapon but the teacher should probably have it on them 100 percent of the time. That isn't something that's been discussed across the board but definitely should be.

The door I'm thinking of is a steel door. Wth is a loon gonna defeat that with besides C4? The training and purchasing of weapons for teachers will take weeks. The door can be installed tomorrow.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    With the logic that any door can be defeated then the locking box where a gun is located can also be defeated.

I don't have a problem with a teacher having a weapon but the teacher should probably have it on them 100 percent of the time. That isn't something that's been discussed across the board but definitely should be.

The door I'm thinking of is a steel door. Wth is a loon gonna defeat that with besides C4? The training and purchasing of weapons for teachers will take weeks. The door can be installed tomorrow.
    Ever shot at steel? A door would have to be specifically designed to withstand whatever rounds you wish it hold up against. Majority of available or commonly used doors would not. Not even the steel ones. It's only the LOCK that needs to be eliminated. Once that's gone the entire door opens freely.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Its an added layer of protection that's currently available at an acceptable, one time cost.
    But, it's not protecting any more than existing doors. School doors are typically required to be fire rated. Hence, they are extremely heavy/dense doors. Not alway steel but certainly protected against a simple kick.

The steel door however, will serve no additional strength (unless specifically designed to do so) or defense against someone shooting the lock. It wouldn't slow an armed man down any more than most existing doors unless specifically designed doors were used, but not ordinary steel doors.

Robin Hood

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Richmond, IN
    If carrying teachers have their weapons locked up, what happens if there is an attack during lunch, and the teacher is out of the room where the weapon is locked up? If the weapons are in the building, they need to be with the teacher at all times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Getting schools to allow teachers to carry is a big step. It is going to be a task of convincing non-gun people that guns in the hands of the good guys is the answer. Guns in schools open up a huge number of issues that scare schools to death, and they feel statistically that they are very safe.

The issues can be overcome but it is not going to be easy.

Top Bottom