• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    Non-Resident Out of State Permit - UPDATE!

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't seem to find it.

I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering if Indiana recognizes Out Of State Permits if a person does not reside in the state from which the permit is issued. That is, If I were to get a Florida permit and live in Illinois, would that permit be honored in Indiana?

Thanks in advance. Nice site BTW!

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't seem to find it.

I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering if Indiana recognizes Out Of State Permits if a person does not reside in the state from which the permit is issued. That is, If I were to get a Florida permit and live in Illinois, would that permit be honored in Indiana?

Thanks in advance. Nice site BTW!

Indiana recognizes any permit from any other state or country as long as you are NOT a resident of Indiana (if you're a resident, you need an Indiana LTCH).

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

ETA: Note that an Illinois FOIA is not a carry license and is not recognized as such.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the FAST reply! So if I understand this, I do not have to be a resident of the state which issued the permit, just not a resident of Indiana...Correct?

I'm not a lawyer, but as I read the statute yes. It doesn't specify res or non-res for your permit. It does say you have to abide by the terms of your permit, though, but there's some question as to what that actually means. For example, Indiana is an Open-Carry state, but if your permit specifies "Concealed Carry", the prevailing opinion is that you have to carry CC.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My father, who travels to Indiana often on business, recieved an Indiana LTCH, will have to unload and case the gun for the short drive through Illinois, on his way home to WI, where he can get the the gun back out when he arrives at his property, and OC (no permit, but open carry allowed on private property). I really hope WI can make that change with the next election, but IL is like a colder version of CA sometimes. Let's keep pushing them!

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now

Thanks! That's the place I wrote to. Already received a reply.

"...go to www.dennynau.com and download applications as well as other information. You do need an Illinois FOID card to apply in Pennsylvania. We need a photo copy of your Illinois FOID along with a photo copy of your Illinois Driver’s License submitted with the applications.

Hope this answers your questions.

Happy Trails .....Denny"

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    UPDATE

Good news...I've been corresponding with Sheriff Nau, who gave us a lot of good information and assistance. My wife and I finally sent in our applications on 30 April and received the permits TODAY! Now, we can legally transport our firearms to the range in Indiana. :patriot:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So any "Average Joe" from IN with an LTCH can get a PA non-res permit with a photocopy and $26 bucks?

Not that it makes a big difference, as it appears Pennsylvania only adds Virginia to the states IN has reciprocity with. But I guess if you travel to Virginia, it's worth $26 bucks?

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    So any "Average Joe" from IN with an LTCH can get a PA non-res permit with a photocopy and $26 bucks?

Not that it makes a big difference, as it appears Pennsylvania only adds Virginia to the states IN has reciprocity with. But I guess if you travel to Virginia, it's worth $26 bucks?

Actually, Indiana only accepts out of state permits as long as you are not a resident of Indiana.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Actually, Indiana only accepts out of state permits as long as you are not a resident of Indiana.

I'm not talking about Indiana and who/what they accept. I already have my Indiana LTCH and Florida CWL

What I'm asking is that if, say, I travelled to Virginia a lot. They don't accept the IN LTCH, but they do accept the PA non res.

So I can pay Pennsylvania $26 bucks, send a photocopy of my IN LTCH and I'm legal beagle in Virginia?

This isn't the best example, as VA honors FL's CWL.

But let's just say I'm an Indiana resident with an IN LTCH Only - that's the deal? $26 bucks and a photocopy of my LTCH and I could get the PA non res?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

True. If you live here, you need the IN LTCH. Fortunately, it's a lifetime thing, so, to quote the English (speaking) Barrister: "Get the license." If you don't live here but can qualify for a non-resident LTCH, I'd still say, "Get the license", even though it would not be Lifetime. Be aware, though, that if you do qualify for the 4-yr non-resident, it will be 3.5 yrs before you can renew that to a Lifetime. Food for thought.

Oh, and Talonap? :welcome: to :ingo:!

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    I'm not talking about Indiana and who/what they accept. I already have my Indiana LTCH and Florida CWL

What I'm asking is that if, say, I travelled to Virginia a lot. They don't accept the IN LTCH, but they do accept the PA non res.

So I can pay Pennsylvania $26 bucks, send a photocopy of my IN LTCH and I'm legal beagle in Virginia?

This isn't the best example, as VA honors FL's CWL.

But let's just say I'm an Indiana resident with an IN LTCH Only - that's the deal? $26 bucks and a photocopy of my LTCH and I could get the PA non res?

OOPS sorry missunderstood you. That's it - as long as VA honors non-resident permits from people who are not residents of the state where the permit is issued.

Top Bottom