What happens to your Lifetime LTCH if you move out of state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have been pondering a move to New Hampshire, and I know they recognize our permits there. My question has to do with the status of the permit when I move out of state, does that invalidate it? Or does it just remain on the books?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I called ISP regarding this a few months ago because I was thinking about taking a job in FL.

When you move out of state you call ISP and they will deactivate your license. If you move back in state all you have to do is call them and have your license reactivated. That is how it was explained to me on the phone.

So the license would not be valid during the time in which you don't reside in state. But if you move back in state it can be validated again without having to go through the application process again.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I called ISP regarding this a few months ago because I was thinking about taking a job in FL.

When you move out of state you call ISP and they will deactivate your license. If you move back in state all you have to do is call them and have your license reactivated. That is how it was explained to me on the phone.

I can go with that, how ever if the state you move to has resprocity, why invalidate it, just keep it until your required DL is due or it expires!:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

So the license would not be valid during the time in which you don't reside in state. But if you move back in state it can be validated again without having to go through the application process again.

Cool! Added to the INGO FAQ.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Because you are legally obligated to inform the ISP when you move.
    Yep, within 60 days of the address change. I had to do this a couple weeks ago. It's as easy as printing a form from the ISP site, and faxing it to their firearms licensing division for free (unless you want to have the LTCH with the updated address for $20).

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yep, within 60 days of the address change. I had to do this a couple weeks ago. It's as easy as printing a form from the ISP site, and faxing it to their firearms licensing division for free (unless you want to have the LTCH with the updated address for $20).

Was this an in state move or out of state move? I just applied for mine (waiting on it now), but I may be moving to a new apt this summer. Just wondering if its still valid at a different address in state.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Was this an in state move or out of state move? I just applied for mine (waiting on it now), but I may be moving to a new apt this summer. Just wondering if its still valid at a different address in state.
    If you move within Indiana all you have to do is notify ISP. If you want a new license with the new address it will cost you $20. If you don't want the license updated with the new address there is no cost. Per I.C. all you have to do is notify ISP.

http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/53228.pdf

edited to add: I moved in Jan and did not update the address on my license as I will be renewing in June. No since in spending $20 for a license change that will be renewed within six months.

solarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    One more twist.

I lived in Indiana. I obtained the lifetime permit to carry a handgun. I moved to michigan, but commute just across the state line and (still) work in Indiana. I obtained my CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in Michigan, since my IN LiCH was no good (in Michigan) if I had residency in MI. So far so good.

I called the IN state police and asked about my lifetime LiCH, considering that I worked in Indiana 6 days a week, and occasionally carried large sums of money, BUT lived in Michigan. Here's the interesting part:

They said I should send them a change of address notice, but list my workplace as the "home" address.

So now, I think I am the only non-Indiana-resident with a valid and in-force lifetime LiCH. Or, maybe the cop of the dayjust told me wrong.

So let's suppose that my Indiana Lifetime permit is not really valid. Does my michigan CPL reciprocity cover me? I would think yes.

What say the experts???

Thanks in advance,

solarguy

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm moving to CO in January. I'll be applying for a CO ccw as soon as I can. I'm tempted to not even get the ccw as CO is an open carry state. But it's required if you want to be legal in Denver as they have a ban on OC.

Hopefully I receive my CO ccw with in 60 days. I doubt it though.

Top Bottom