• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doghead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Traveled to Gary from Michigan, I have a valid CCW and carried onto steel mill property. Driving in they pulled me over for no seatbelt and warned me. I apologized and went in to work leaving my gun locked up and in my vehicle. Upon leaving several officers/ security personnel were waiting for me asking if I had a weapon. fast forward they confiscated my weapon and told me it was illeagal to have in the parking lot also. I figure they ran my plate, seen I had a CCW and decided to shake me down. It happened on a saturday and they said I would have to wait until Monday to talk to a superior about getting my weapon back and soforth. Anybody here dealt with this type thing and what are my chances of getting my weapon back. Thanks.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    A.) It might have been against company policy but it's certainly not illegal for a permit holder to have a legally owned firearm locked in their vehicle.

B.) They had no authority to confiscate your private property, what they did is tantamount to theft.

Yep, time to lawyer up. I think this is called conversion, isn't it guys?.

Were all the officers only plant security, or were they LEO? Law enforcement officers should have known better.

Edited to add: I wouldn't have allowed a vehicle search without a warrant, at all. Especially if they were just plant security.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    They certainly can not steal your property. Contact the local police and an attorney.

Buy a new one today if you are able to. Depending on what happens it could take time to get it back.

Why did you leave it in your vehicle? Is it not small enough to discreetly carry? I'd recommend buying a P3AT or something else tiny and small asap.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah we're gonna need more details here.

Confiscating your weapon, for any reason, assuming you have a valid permit, would require more than just "bringing it onto the plant".

Doghead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    All were plant security. I called Gary PD and asked about the confiscation and they said, If it is in their policy to confiscate then they can and if it was not I could file a police report and have them investigated. I am pretty much at the mercy of the Captain of the security firm when he comes back Monday. I have to drive back 260 miles one way just to see if they are gonna give back my gun and if they are going to bar me from the company for life. They will probably want to fine me also.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you ever sign a contract with this steel plant where you agreed to fines and confiscation?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You shouldn't have let anyone search your vehicle, let alone a security company. There's nothing illegal about it, and a private company stole your property. File a report with the police.

Doghead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Fast forward, They were waiting at the turnstyle checking everyones badge until they got to me. Guard says we have an anonamous tip you may have a fire arm. he then says we are gonna tear your truck apart looking for it unless you cooperate. I say yeah I have a gun locked in a case secured under the seat with a cable lock. We go to my truck I give them the keys they take the gun and say talk to the captain Monday and you are barred from the property until further notice call this number monday. I did sign a consent paper during orientation, I thought the no weapons meant in the plant but I learned they meant their property period including the parking lot.

They watch you on cameras as you enter the plant they can clearly see what you are doing in your vehicle as you drive in. They seen on camera that I didnt have my seatbelt on and had a cruiser waiting up ahead to talk to me about it.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Just for future reference, if a security guard wants to search your vehicle, demand a real cop be present.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IANAL

As others have pointed out, it was a mistake letting them search your vehicle. Without a warrant they had no right. . . . . that is until you "consented" to the search.

What they did was wrong, but I don't know how much recourse you will really have. Where's Kirk?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just for future reference, if a security guard wants to search your vehicle, demand a real cop be present.

No. A simple "do you have a warrant?" will suffice. Real cop or not, he will need a warrant (assuming you don't consent to it).

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    hate to break it to ya, but you are lucky that is ALL they did. Unless I miss my guess Gary Works is also considered an international maritime port. If so then you not only broke company policy but also state Statue as well. I say this because I work for another steel mill nearby (arcelor mittal) and because we have the capability to dock ocean going vessels we are considered a maritime port and as such fall under the maritime security portion of homeland security.

Also if you have a drive-in pass it states plainly on it I bet that they have the right to search any and ALL vehicles on plant property at any time. refusal is grounds for dismissal. (at least mine does and I am willing to bet theirs do also) If you are lucky all they will do is tell you not to come back and give you back your weapon. Again I am not employed at that particular plant so I can't answer as to their policies, just generally.

If you folks think that going into Ill is bad, well being on plant property at my particular place of employment makes chicago seem tame in terms of how some security folks treat us. I know of one particular security guard that went so far as to 'plant' evidence in a person's vehicle in order to get them fired because they had had words prior. Ultimately the guard was fired over it, but not before he harrassed several people that he didn't like.

Greg

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    No. A simple "do you have a warrant?" will suffice. Real cop or not, he will need a warrant (assuming you don't consent to it).
    That would have more than likely resulted in him wearing silver bracelets and spending some time in the country jail. (Gary no longer has a city jail so all prisoners are transported to the county jail IIR) Refusal to allow a search would have resulted in the police being called and him being arrested. Like I said they don't have a sense of humor at ALL at gary works....

Greg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Refusal to allow a search would have resulted in the police being called and him being arrested.

If your theory of the maritime port idea is correct, then I have no idea how that affects this particular case, so I could be totally off-base.

But in "normal" (non-federal, non-governmental) places of business, what charge would you be arrested for if you didn't consent to a search by a security guard?

Doghead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Greg you are right on with your assumptions and yes I did think about Gary jail system. I felt I did nothing illeagal and cooperated fully. They did not treat me badly and were impressed with my knowledge of proper transport and storage. They realized that I was responsible and cooperative and they said they would reflect that in the report. Hopefully the Captain will see this and deal with me fairly. I was just wondering if it had happend to anyone here and if the weapon got returned and soforth. I know I'll probably get banned for life and possibly fined. I just want my gun back.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    If your theory of the maritime port idea is correct, then I have no idea how that affects this particular case, so I could be totally off-base.

But in "normal" (non-federal, non-governmental) places of business, what charge would you be arrested for if you didn't consent to a search by a security guard?

In a 'normal' place of business is a good question. The question then becomes in my mind what they sign. If they sign a release or agree to certain policies then it would be based on those policies. I know I had to sign an agreement that gives them the right to search my vehicle whenever I am on company property. My question is this: can't a security guard hold someone for the police to arrive? How can a LP person hold a shoplifter til the police arrive? I think the same reasoning would apply in this case as well.

Greg

Top Bottom