• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was talking to a friend of mine about carrying and we got on the subject of carrying in a bank. He was under the impression that a bank was a federal building and that you could not carry a gun in a federal building. I honestly never thought about it. Are banks consider federal? Do you carry in a bank? OC/CC?

I have always carried but assumed no signs stating no firearms posted it was okay execpt for what the law states. (Schools, government buildings, etc.)

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    They are not federal buildings just because the money is backed by the federal government, just as the post office is not federal property just because mail tampering, theft and fraud is a federal offense.

Banks are private as hell. If they were gov't, they wouldn't be losing money (well maybe they would) but that's besides the point.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I kinda the same question, I was not sure so I went in holster only just to see if they would jump my crap. They said nothing, not sure they noticed though"paddle holster sticks under shirt and is kinda bulky" I assumed there would be a sighn on the door or something, but nope nothing.
    I personaly don't know law wise and I don't think I would any way, but its a good question.

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are not federal buildings just because the money is backed by the federal government, just as the post office is not federal property just because mail tampering, theft and fraud is a federal offense.

Are you sure about the Post Office? If I'm not mistaken, they're considered federal property and so are their vehicles. But I could be wrong. My post office as the "No Guns" sign prominently placed indicating it would be a federal offense.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    The post office question has been out there for some time, it's just that no one wants to be the test case. Some of the key language has to do with the phrase "lawful purposes" and whether that means someone licensed to carry can legally do so.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    The Post Office's in my area all have signs clearly stating 'no firearms'. It is a Federal building, you'd be doing good to not carry in it, just to be on the safe side of things.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    it is specifically stated that rules against carrying a deadly weapon do not pertain to those carrying lawfully. carrying with a permit and no intent of foul play is lawful.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was talking to a friend of mine about carrying and we got on the subject of carrying in a bank. He was under the impression that a bank was a federal building and that you could not carry a gun in a federal building. I honestly never thought about it. Are banks consider federal? Do you carry in a bank? OC/CC?

Generally I CC, but do OC from time to time. I've OC'd in at least 2 different branches of the First Midwest Bank in Lake County, never had a problem. Then again, they know me in the bank branches as a regular customer. I've CC'ed in them many times. When I CC it is rare that I try to make sure my gun is covered so if my jacket flashes open I don't do anything special to conceal. I think by now they know I carry in their branches!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I remember when Ohio first passed their Concealed Carry Permit.. Businesses are allowed to post "No Firearms" signs if they'd like, and many of the banks did. Almost as quickly, though, the signs disappeared, thanks to a lot of those "No Guns, No $$" cards and letters..

I carry into the bank for work all the time with no problem..

Top Bottom