• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thank goodness that this kids mom didn't adhere to the lock 'em all up strategy. Her gun was accessible when necessary. Now 2 habitual criminals are going back to jail. With a facial scar.

10 Year Old Shoots Intruder

via The War on Guns

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.
    Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.
    Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.
    In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital, where they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.
    Each man is held on $150,000 bond. A third suspect, a juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.
    Both men will appear before a judge next month.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    S_teach_your_kids.jpg

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That's awesome! Good for that boy! He did what he needed to do in a moment of danger and protected his sister the only way he could. I hope now his mom lets him start shooting once in a while for practice :)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    WOW, I'm afraid this story could have gone a completely different way. 10yrs old, I think that is too young to have access to a gun without adult supervision. Kudos to his parents training, education, and exposure to firearms to him.

Good thing this happened in the south, had it been on the LEFT Coast, Mom would be in jail held on neglect charges and attempted murder by proxy!!!

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Its a good thing that that boy protected himself and his sister. True, he shouldn't have access to a gun that easily at the age of ten, but who knows what would have happened if he didn't.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    too bad the boy didnt aim alittle higher and permanently remove that piece of sh*t from society

a dead offender is better than a repeating offender.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    What's really sad, if that were in IN, they'd probably charge the mom w/ felony neglect for leaving the kids alone AND leaving a gun accessible!! :xmad:

Good job, kid!!:shoot:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The sad thing is this is the kind of thing that Child Protective Services will get involved in and cause problems. They will claim that the kids are too young to be left alone and that a gun was available in the home.

I am all for protecting kids, but most of these services are a waste of tax payers money and seem to cause more problems then they solve.

Lets hope they stay out of this one.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What's scary is that if the gun hadn't have been in the home, accessible, and loaded, it's entirely possible that the two children would have been killed so as not to become "witnesses".

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I think it's great that boy was able to defend himself and sister, but I don't think he should be in that sitution, and I do think someone needs to look into this. Don't flame me, but I think 10 is just too young to be left at home taking care of his sister. Maybe while you run around the corner to get a gallon of milk, but not while you're gone for hours to work.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I think it's great that boy was able to defend himself and sister, but I don't think he should be in that sitution, and I do think someone needs to look into this. Don't flame me, but I think 10 is just too young to be left at home taking care of his sister. Maybe while you run around the corner to get a gallon of milk, but not while you're gone for hours to work.

In an ideal world, yes, I would agree. The reality is that many people work for less than $10/hour. If they are forced to pay for child care, they would not have enough left over for even nominal rent, food, clothes, etc. Their ONLY alternative would be to go on welfare, accept government housing aid, food stamps.

Here's someone who is trying to take care of her family to the best of her ability. The children apparently have their act together, so the mom must be doing something right. I don't think it's our place to judge how others choose to run their family. Especially not when from all appearances, they are trying to take care of themselves, and doing a pretty good job from what we know.

Top Bottom