• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Mom slain at Michigan City school bus stop | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- Police say a man fatally shot his ex-girlfriend in front of their two children as they waited for a school bus in northern Indiana.

Officers found the man dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot a half mile away about 10 minutes after the Tuesday morning attack.

LaPorte County Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer says 30-year-old Tonya Earley was waiting in a car at a rural intersection near Michigan City with her children, ages 8 and 10, and another man when 41-year-old David Streeting arrived.

The sheriff says Streeting shot Earley after she got out of the car as the two argued.

The driver of the school bus with 14 children on board called police upon arriving at the scene within minutes of the shooting.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Mother shot to death at school bus stop

Cops: Ex-boyfriend shot woman in front of their kids, then killed himself

Police said a woman was fatally shot by her ex-boyfriend Tuesday at a Michigan City area school bus stop while their children looked on.

About 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, police were called to LaPorte County Road 1000 North and County Road 425 West, just east of Michigan City, where officers found 30-year-old Tonya Earley dead from a single gunshot, police said. The shot was fired either as the bus was pulling up or just seconds prior to the bus arriving.

LaPorte County Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer said Earley's body was found lying in the street beside her car and the children were still in the vehicle when she was shot.

"That's something they're going to remember the rest of their lives. It's a very unfortunate situation," Mollenhauer said.

About 10 minutes later, police found her ex-boyfriend -- 41-year-old David Streeting -- dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in a vehicle about a half-mile north from where Earley was shot, police said.

Investigators also learned that an acquaintance of Earley was with her at the time of the shooting and he fled when she was shot. Police said he suffered an injury while leaving the scene of the shooting. Police did not release his name, the type of injury he suffered, his condition or how he knew Earley.

Earley and Streeting, both of LaPorte County, were the biological parents of the children, ages 8 and 10, police said.

Michele Pokuta, who lives on County Road 1000 North, was driving to her job in New Buffalo, Mich., and saw the body at the crime scene. She said police had not arrived yet and Earley was lying on her back with one arm draped over her chest.

The school bus was stopped and the driver was on his cell phone.

"I was pretty shaken up. At first, I couldn't think straight," Pokuta said.

Because the shooter already had fled the scene when officers arrived, authorities placed Springfield Elementary School -- two miles away -- under a lockdown, police said.

Mollenhauer said Earley lived at Green Acres Trailer Park and drove a short distance to her parents' home, where the couple's children were residing. She picked them up and took them to the bus stop to see them off to school.

Because the couple used to live together, Mollenhauer said Streeting likely knew exactly when to show up at the bus stop.

"When she pulled up, he pulled up," Mollenhauer said.

According to court records, a hearing was held for the couple Sept. 9 and an order was issued governing child visitation and child support.

Mollenhauer said preliminary information from the investigation indicates there was a protective order against Streeting.

Michigan City school officials did not return calls regarding the lockdown or students who might have been of the school bus.

Such a senseless tragedy.

Michigan City is a lot like Gary in the 1970s. Lots of drugs, lots of violence, lots of thuggery. People are fleeing, leaving the town to the gangs. This is very unfortunate.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte

Such a senseless tragedy.

Michigan City is a lot like Gary in the 1970s. Lots of drugs, lots of violence, lots of thuggery. People are fleeing, leaving the town to the gangs. This is very unfortunate.
    :dunno:
    Huh? I've lived in MC my entire life, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Sure, it ain't the greatest place in the world, but as long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods, it's not bad at all. Even in the bad neighborhoods (around the prison), I have never felt in any real danger. About 5-10 years ago, it was much worse, alot more drugs and crime.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...Mollenhauer said preliminary information from the investigation indicates there was a protective order against Streeting...

Wait, wait... you mean he didn't obey the law? There was a protective order against him-that means he couldn't have possibly had a gun! OK, ok, sarcasm off. It is truly sad that these children had to witness this. What a shame that she did not have with her the means to protect herself. Now the children will grow up without their parents.

Protective orders aren't.

Blessings,
    Bill

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    unfortunately this happens everyday in good and bad neighborhoods. looked like this one took place in the country, so i doubt it had any gang implications. so sad for those kids so close to the holidays. i wish these folks who committ these senseless crimes would stop for a moment and think of the long term effects on the kids involved. in this case, not just their children but apparently all the kids on the bus! all we can do is pray for these kids.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    :dunno:
    Huh? I've lived in MC my entire life, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Sure, it ain't the greatest place in the world, but as long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods, it's not bad at all. Even in the bad neighborhoods (around the prison), I have never felt in any real danger. About 5-10 years ago, it was much worse, alot more drugs and crime.

Agreed

I grew up in MC and stayed until 20 years old then moved to La Porte - 15min away. been here 19 years. Our little area - MC, La Porte, Westville, Rolling, Valpo, & Walkerton are far from being like Gary

anote about the prison - to bad the sand is gone, spent many years racing the trail and "the hill" with bikes and trucks:rockwoot:

Top Bottom