• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The state website is pretty vague. What do I need to have in hand and what do I need to do when I go downtown to get my permit? I'm sorry if this is the a dumb post but I really don't want to go all the way downtown and not have the required info/money orders.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's the process I went through for mine:

Take two forms of picture ID to local PD (I used passport and DL), along with checkbook. Fill out paperwork and get fingerprinted. Go back to local PD two days later to pick up paperwork and fingerprint card. Mail paperwork and fingerprint card to ISP along with money order. Wait 91 days.

I never had to go to Indianapolis and you shouldn't either, unless you live in Indy and that's your local PD.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I processed my permit through Indianapolis City/County Bldg. All I needed was my DL. Pick up the permit request. You can fill it out right there if you want to. You'll need $75.00 Money Order or Cerfit. Check for the State Fee; local fee was $25.00 Cash/Credit Card. Right next door is where they will finger print you. Also you can get the application notarized there also.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I processed my permit through Indianapolis City/County Bldg. All I needed was my DL. Pick up the permit request. You can fill it out right there if you want to. You'll need $75.00 Money Order or Cerfit. Check for the State Fee; local fee was $25.00 Cash/Credit Card. Right next door is where they will finger print you. Also you can get the application notarized there also.

These are the fees to "renew", new permits are more

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you're going to the City/County building, save yourself two trips and take the money orders with you. Fill out the paperwork, walk across the street and have it notarized, then go back and turn in the paperwork with your money orders. They will fingerprint you and you will be on your way.

As a side note, since you will be making two trips through the security checkpoint, take off your belt and leave it in the car, and remove any loose keys/change/etc before you go in.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Actually if you take the money orders with you, you don't have to leave the office. Pick up app at counter and fill it out, turn 180 degrees and walk to window to notery, then over to get printed. I was able to get everything done in less than 30 min.

:draw:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    so, it does not have to be typed out?
    Doesn't have to be but is probably easier to process on the other end. I was renewing to the life time, and had my copy of my first application to use as a guide to how the questions were answered. If I was applying for the first time, I would probably go across the street to one of the bail bonds offices and have them type it up, that is what I did for my first app, only cost $5 back then.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Go the L-1 route. I just did mine and it was 5 weeks total. Much of that was my fault due to my inability to get to the City County building downtown very quickly. I did my application online, paid the state stuff online, went to a nearby L-1 (they have a bunch of options on the website) place to get printed a couple weeks later, got downtown a couple weeks after that.

This was extremely easy. I just had to go to one office and fill out a card, they put my name in the system, took a couple more electronic prints, I paid the local fee and they sent me on my merry way. The guys doing the whole process there looked like they had been there a while and were getting printed with ink. They were all still there when I left. I parked, walked a couple blocks, did everything, chatted with a cop I know from working downtown and walked back in about 45 minutes. I got my LTCH in the mail about 5 days after I paid the local fee.

freehuman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Fill out the form online.
    Select option to expedite.
    Pay with credit card, $84.95.
    Schedule appointment at L-1 location and get printed.
    Go to City County building, bring driver's license and the form that L-1 gives you.
    Get printed... don't have any warrants or they will arrest you on the spot, duh.
    Pay the nice lady $50 cash/check/money order.
    Wait 3-6 days.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom