• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Quick question: I've had my LTCH for a while, and my wife just got hers. She asked me, and I didn't know: What do you tell the police officer here in Indiana if you get pulled over? What does the law require? Do you say nothing, or do you hand him the pink paper with your driver's license and mention it?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    The law does not require you to inform the officer, and if the firearm is out of sight and away from where you will be reaching, then no need to tell him. However, if he can see your firearm or the firearm is next to your license, or your registration and insurance, I would suggest letting him know so there isn't a misunderstanding. Police have to deal with some pretty crazy people, and the last thing you and the officer need is for him to think you are reaching for your weapon and acting accordingly.

So basically don't feel you have to tell the officer at all, but it can be prudent at times to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Indiana law does not require notification, and I will not provide it. Nor will I if asked, since I choose not to answer questions aside from identifying myself. This can be done politely.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The law does not require you to inform the officer, and if the firearm is out of sight and away from where you will be reaching, then no need to tell him. However, if he can see your firearm or the firearm is next to your license, or your registration and insurance, I would suggest letting him know so there isn't a misunderstanding. Police have to deal with some pretty crazy people, and the last thing you and the officer need is for him to think you are reaching for your weapon and acting accordingly.

So basically don't feel you have to tell the officer at all, but it can be prudent at times to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

:+1: Very well said, and this is the same way I handle it. Everytime I have let an officer know they have been very respectful about it, and always thank me for informing them.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you do tell...don't start out the sentence by saying "I've got a gun".

Say "Officer, I want to inform you that I have a licence to carry a firearm and I am currently carring on my right hip. How would you like to proceed?"

Another +1 on this post as well. Be prepared in how you will inform the officer.

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was pulled over the other day and had my pistol (in its box) sitting on the seat next to me, before I reached for my registation I told the Leo about it. He asked if I had LTCH I said yes and showed him it. He said go ahead and get registration then keep both hands on steering wheel, I did and only got a warning.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Simply hand the LEO your driver's license and your LTCH at the same time....then simply do as they ask, re the firearm. Easy ......

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think the best way is to hand the officer your Drivers license and your LTCH before reaching for the registration.
    I keep my LTCH and Drivers license in the same pocket of my wallet so it is easy.
    NEVER say the word GUN until you are established as harmless by the officer.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

Good advice here.

Since I got my LTCH, I've not been pulled over (knock on wood), but in preparation for such an occasion, I switched to carrying my wallet in my left seat pocket so that it wouldn't be near my carry piece and so that the officer would have an easier time seeing my hand as I retrieve it. It took a couple weeks to form the new habit of putting it into the left pocket, and to get used to sitting crooked the other way, but now it's just as natural is the right pocket was before.

Caleb

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In

+1

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hello, PT,

1. Indiana has no requirement to notify the officer unlike other states that one may read about on the net. See Kirk's First Law.

2. How one handles the stop it is always best to remain calm. I follow "don't tell unless asked.":D I'm not going to volunteer, but I'll tell him if I'm asked. Please, please don't have him ask me for the gun. A half-trained cop coonfingering my 1911 makes me nervous in the service (once you see your own barrel pointed back at you by a cop fingering your gun like the apes in 2001, you become a zealous advocate of firearms safety).:D

Only time that an officer has bothered doing anything on a traffic stop (gas stations in Wheatfield and coffee shops in Broad Ripple don't count) is last May when I hit a deer. I hit the deer on I-65, stopped, called state police, pulled the animal off the highway so no one else got hurt.

The trooper showed up started to fill out the form, looked up and saw my pistols. He looked down and then looked back at me (I'm standing by my SUV taking photos of the damage for the insurance). "Ummm, sir, do you have a carry permit?"

I hand him my pink card, he runs back to his commission (it's what the state cops call their cars), I presume to call me in. I call ahead to tell my date that I will be late to the shooting range.

He runs back to me and gives me back my pink card stating "It's just that I've never seen anybody carrying guns like that." I shrug and ask him for 100 mph tape for my headlights (I had to buy it at a truck stop in Lebanon).

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    I got pulled over for failing to signal lane change in east Indy. the officer saw my LTCH when i got out my drivers licence, he asked if i had a gun , i told him yes. He had me get out of the car, took my gun, lcth, and dr license back to his car. Upon returning he had me pop the trunk and he put the unloaded gun in the trunk. He told me i could get it out after he left. He was very polite and very professional. My only gripe is him putting in in my trunk and telling me to wait for him to leave b4 i got it out. He just gave me a verbal warning and was totally cool about the whole thing. He should have given me my gun back after running my LTCH but it was no big deal really.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got pulled over for failing to signal lane change in east Indy. the officer saw my LTCH when i got out my drivers licence, he asked if i had a gun , i told him yes. He had me get out of the car, took my gun, lcth, and dr license back to his car. Upon returning he had me pop the trunk and he put the unloaded gun in the trunk. He told me i could get it out after he left. He was very polite and very professional. My only gripe is him putting in in my trunk and telling me to wait for him to leave b4 i got it out. He just gave me a verbal warning and was totally cool about the whole thing. He should have given me my gun back after running my LTCH but it was no big deal really.
    And he got to do a visual search of your trunk as a freebie.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Tell him you know where there are great deals on donuts and its only good for the next 1/2 hour. :D

Really, I appreciate someone telling me the have a LTCH and they have their gun on them and where it is. I'm just going to run your info and then decide if a warning is appropriate or if a ticket needs to be issued, I tend to lean more one way than the other if someone is up front with me and honest right off the bat.

Top Bottom