• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    I was at a casual dining restaurant tonight enjoying some beers. Then my wife taps me a few times and tells me the the guy sitting to her left is carrying, sure enough about 4" of a barrel are peaking out under his sweater, then I also notice he's about 1/2 way done with a tall 22 OZ beer... Long story short, he had at least 3 talls so almost a six pack.

Now i'm all for carrying, concealed or open. I'm in the process of getting my IN LTCH. I'm still a new resident of IN and have been carrying here as a ND resident with a ND and UT CCW permit. I've always thought that you can't carry inside a bar. You can carry inside a restaurant as long as you're not drinking. I don't know this guys situation/job, didn't want to ask him about anything and possibly put him on the spot, but logic tells me, if you're carrying, and forced to use it and god forbid the police report or bar records show that you've been drinking prior to using deadly force, that's not going to work out in your favor in court. What are your guys' thoughts??

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    While there is no law in Indiana stating that you can't carry in a bar or even that you can't drink while carrying, I agree with you that it certainly is a BAD idea. -1 to that gun owner.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If you have to use it, work out the details later.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Last edited:

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    I agree 100% with that, I'd rather be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.. However, if you did have to use it, what if the police report indicated a "smell of alcohol" or even a breathalizer test, or even the bar tab with time stamps on it showing exactly when each round was rung in...prosecuting attorneys have a hay-day with that type of evidence and would more than likely win on the count that you were drunk or under the influence while using a lethal firearm... Booze and firearms don't mix, no matter how you mix the ingredients.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Like the Monkey said, better to be judged than buried...

It is not illegal to carry in bars in Indiana, I see know reason why it should be either. As for worrying if the report might state alcohol was involved who really cares as long as you are the one not getting a dirt nap. Just make sure that the shoot is a righteous shoot...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It is not illegal in IN.

Proving intoxication does not make for a bad shoot any more than proving sobriety alone would make a shoot justified.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Hmmm, I wouldn't go to a bar if I wasn't armed. Oddly I think I would give a drunk more slack in a self defense situation, if i could. But, some of those drunks are really drunk and really crazy. Personally I like to relax at the end of the day. In fact, I am sitting here with my Kahlua cup (awesome looking glass I got in a christmas set) and my xd. I just wish I had a big dog I could pet and teach to drink beer

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i don't have a problem with it. i carry when going to a bar, which is about once a year. i guess to each their own. i hope any person carrying a firearm is a responsible person so i would expect a responsible person to also know their limits. there is no law prohibiting the use of alcohol while carrying a weapon so if the situation was justified then i guess it is a dead issue no matter how much you have had to drink. unfortunately there are always a few dirtbag lawyers and prosecutors looking to make the news so they'll try anything. just be responsible and stay alive!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    The most important question is... how many beers did the gun drink? Everyone knows its the gun that jumps out and starts shooting. We wouldn't want an intoxicated gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Or, for those people who don't rely solely on a firearm for their protection, 1 sip means the firearm is a No-Go for self-defense and they will not touch it. Carrying it does not mean you have to use it.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    There doesn't seem to be any laws against possessing a gun while intoxicated, however there is this:

IC 35-47-4-1
    Delivery of deadly weapon to intoxicated person
    Sec. 1. A person who sells, barters, gives, or delivers any deadly weapon to any person at the time in a state of intoxication, knowing him to be in a state of intoxication, or to any person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and knowing him to be a person who is in the habit of becoming intoxicated, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

I would imagine that you would have some poop thrown your way if you indeed had to use it, plus there could be something to be said about poor judgment and bad aim. It seems every so often you hear about a ND from some jackhole trying to show off his new gun while in a bar...I can think of one around these parts a few months ago, dude didn't have a LTCH IIRC.

To each his own, I'll carry to a restaurant and have a drink, but I know what I can handle and don't push it while I'm out anyhow.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Call me old fashioned, but I think it's best left up to the individual to determine when he/she is or is fit to employ a firearm. From the OP I am unable to suss out the alcohol content of the man's drink, or his BAC, or his tolerance for alcohol, or his plans for the rest of the evening. I also can't see any way a legislator both geographically and chronologically removed from the consumption of said potable could determine the drinker's fitness either. I personally know that, as an infrequent drinker, for me guns and beer won't mix, but I know there are folks who may process liquor differently.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    This exact topic has been discussed on INGO before and lets just say if my memory serves me correctly, that thread was closed. So first of all let me say thank you to those who have partcipated thus far and kept it a good conversation.

I have made my personal feelings known in previous threads so I won't rehash those here. While I do agree that the shooter drinking alcohol does not immidiatly make a good shoot a bad shoot, I will say that sometimes situations go farther because of the alcohol and some descions made while drinking are skewed because of the alcohol so in a sense something that resulted in a shooting might not have been had the gun carrier been sober.

Another issue to consider is that while it is not against the law to drink and carry and you very well may be found rightfull in your descion to shoot in a criminal case.............that does not mean it will turn out that way in a civil hearing.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind about this because I went down that path last time and that was probably one of the reasons it was closed, it got heated. I'm just puttin info out there for others to think about.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've carried in bars in the past and I will do so in the future...I don't care how much I have to drink, it will not affect my judgment when I would need to use it for the purpose of carrying to begin with. I am smart enough to know not to over indulge in the liquid refreshment while out and about...even if I am falling down drunk, that does not mean I will use my handgun irresponsibly. Being intoxicated will not ever cause me to draw my firearm any differently than if I were sober(maybe a little less accurate)...too many people use the "I was drunk" as an excuse for their actions and I think that is just lame as ever.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I've carried in bars in the past and I will do so in the future...I don't care how much I have to drink, it will not affect my judgment when I would need to use it for the purpose of carrying to begin with. I am smart enough to know not to over indulge in the liquid refreshment while out and about...even if I am falling down drunk, that does not mean I will use my handgun irresponsibly. Being intoxicated will not ever cause me to draw my firearm any differently than if I were sober(maybe a little less accurate)...too many people use the "I was drunk" as an excuse for their actions and I think that is just lame as ever.

QFT. So many people jump straight to the blame of variables when things go wrong, instead of holding people accountable for their self control.
    Falling down drunk doesn't mean falling down stupid, unless it was a pre-existing ailment.

I'm not a big fan of the bar scene. But whenever I do go, I usually take a friend with me who does carry. (That, or he's asking me to go, since I'm more prepared for self defense without taking a shot) And after I get my LTC, I'll most certainly carry.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think it depends on the drinker. There are many kinds of drunks, some mean some mellow. I carry mine but I would be less likely to try to use it after drinking, just common sense. Chances are I will never have to use it, but if the situation ever arose, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was at a casual dining restaurant tonight enjoying some beers. Then my wife taps me a few times and tells me the the guy sitting to her left is carrying, sure enough about 4" of a barrel are peaking out under his sweater, then I also notice he's about 1/2 way done with a tall 22 OZ beer... Long story short, he had at least 3 talls so almost a six pack.

Now i'm all for carrying, concealed or open. I'm in the process of getting my IN LTCH. I'm still a new resident of IN and have been carrying here as a ND resident with a ND and UT CCW permit. I've always thought that you can't carry inside a bar. You can carry inside a restaurant as long as you're not drinking. I don't know this guys situation/job, didn't want to ask him about anything and possibly put him on the spot, but logic tells me, if you're carrying, and forced to use it and god forbid the police report or bar records show that you've been drinking prior to using deadly force, that's not going to work out in your favor in court. What are your guys' thoughts??

Hate to throw a proverbial wrench in your works here, but...if you now live here, you cannot carry here with your out of state permits.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will
    not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Top Bottom