• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Loganport
    I had not visited this site in a few years, and it has changed a lot. One question I have is this:

Why all of the emphasis on open carry? Don't get me wrong, those who carry open do not bother me at all, and I have no argument with them. What I do not understand is the reason for open carry.

I am an old guy, and I have carried much of my life [First Indiana permit was in 1970], and another state before that. Also carried some of the time in the military. All of my carry has been concealed, except for Az before they had concealed law.

I do all of my training from a concealment.

I am not trying to argue, or to condemn, just trying to learn.

Thanks, GLV

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    For me, many times I will OC based off of physical comfort. Weather plays a large role in this. Other times, I will OC because I am tired of the mentality that I should "try not to offend others". And for the record, I carry both CC and OC. Please please please can we keep this a civil, informative thread? :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think the majority of people who OC do it as their right. Others do it because they just don't like IWB holsters. Some don't mind answering questions when asked, which offers a great teaching opportunity.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I OC because, quite frankly, I'm a fat guy. Have you ever tried to be fat and CC a large frame gun in such a way that it is both accessible and comfortable?
    That being said, I usually try to be discreet about it as I am not making a statement, just protecting myself.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I do it so I dont have to get into a fist fight. They either leave me alone or we go straight to the guns.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Why all of the emphasis on open carry? Don't get me wrong, those who carry open do not bother me at all, and I have no argument with them. What I do not understand is the reason for open carry.

Open carry is the only true carry. Open carry reminds citizens that they are sovereign and can go about their travels armed, as a free man, and that woe betide anyone who trammels their Liberty. Open carry reminds the public servant where power ultimately resides.

All this is defeated if the police can put a loaded gun to the head of any open carrier, force the OC'er to the ground to lie down spread eagle, while the OC'er is expected to suffer no ill will, sublimate all humiliation, countenance no degradation and seek no recompense or punishment for the crime against his and our Liberty.

The true purpose of open carry is to scare the government and all tyrants. If aspiring crooks should be chilled by the wind, blessed be.

Rammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I have the same question. It seems that the ones carrying open are having a lot of trouble with the police. So why carry open. Again... I am not arguing one way or another. I am curious as to the reasoning.

Rammer

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    OC

I have the same question. It seems that the ones carrying open are having a lot of trouble with the police. So why carry open. Again... I am not arguing one way or another. I am curious as to the reasoning.

Rammer

I have never had trouble with the police and plenty of other people who OC do not have trouble with the police. If there is nothing wrong with carrying a gun there is nothing wrong with carrying it in the open. A free man or free woman should not have to justify what they are doing as long as it is not infringing on the rights of other people.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    The strongest gun advocates I know will never get a permit to exercise a right.

It's a pity we live in a state that makes people pay to exercise their rights.

Well, it looks like they'll be doing a great deal of advocating from behind bars. :rolleyes:

So what, I think most of us agree that it's really unfortunate that we have to pay to exercise our rights but what kind of precedent does it send when those pushing for the laws to be changed are breaking the laws themselves? I really don't like the fact that I had to pay to exercise my rights but do I want to break the law and possibly face a felony because of it? Hell to the no. Do I want to have to explain to a judge and jury why I was carrying a weapon illegally and shot another person - even if it WAS in self defense? How well would my arguments hold water in that trial? :dunno:

ETA - carrying is carrying. Do it open or concealed that is your own choice. Last time I checked regardless if you're carrying openly or concealed your gun is still able to fire a projectile at a high velocity...so the "only true way to carry" is absurd. Carry however you see fit as long as you do it safely and without infringing on others.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    The strongest gun advocates I know will never get a permit to exercise a right.

It's a pity we live in a state that makes people pay to exercise their rights.

While I'm as strong a gun-advocate as any, I don't particularly feel the pressing need to end up behind bars for refusing to pay $125. I agree that we should not have to pay to exercise our rights...you're preaching to the choir :) If the advocates you know will never get a permit or license, I'd suggest Vermont. I hear it's lovely this time of year :D

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It seems that the ones carrying open are having a lot of trouble with the police.

Aside from the thread pointed out, I've OC'ed at everything from Independence Day Parades to political rallies.

Only once was I asked for my LTCH and that was in Valpo for the Tea Party... took 15 seconds (literally, no more than 20 seconds) and they didn't even comment about the people OC'ing AR-15's.

It is a right. We need to have Indiana join the 12st century and get the idea that carry is a Right and like Arizona, Vermont and Alaska, no permit or license is need to defend yourself.

FWIW In roughly 18 states you do NOT need a permit or license to open carry a handgun gun, including states like Pennsylvania.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Aside from the thread pointed out, I've OC'ed at everything from Independence Day Parades to political rallies.

Only once was I asked for my LTCH and that was in Valpo for the Tea Party... took 15 seconds (literally, no more than 20 seconds) and they didn't even comment about the people OC'ing AR-15's.

It is a right. We need to have Indiana join the 12st century and get the idea that carry is a Right and like Arizona, Vermont and Alaska, no permit or license is need to defend yourself.

FWIW In roughly 18 states you do NOT need a permit or license to open carry a handgun gun, including states like Pennsylvania.

It almost seems like IN is like them, but we have to pay.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When I OC, I do so because it's more comfortable when hot or humid, or because I feel like making an outward expression of my status as a free citizen, or just because I don't feel like covering up. Anyone of the three could be the controlling factor on any given day. I do CC (not very well under an unbuttoned shirt) more often than not, simply because that's usually how I feel like carrying. Actually, it's more more a fact that I like the shirts, to be honest. Even the breeze from walking blows the shirt back and exposes the gun, but it's still not true OC. Or I'll CC because of weather, just like it influences my choice to OC. If it's cold, the gun will be under my coat, if it's rainy and crappy like today it'll likely be under a Sigtac vest that is heavy enough not to blow back and get my gun all wet. There are some times and places where I'll really for real CC, like Drs offices or hospitals, malls with no guns signs, church, when we are out for a nice family dinner and I do not feel like dealing with the very remote possibility of a distraction.

IOW, I'm a free man, and whatever method of carry I choose on ony given day reflects that freedom.

Top Bottom