• Status
    Not open for further replies.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Note: Indiana State law was changed in 2014 regarding the use of suppressors while hunting. Please refer to current regulations on this subject.

The Mods
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have set back and watched several threads about what you can and can't do with a suppressor as it pertains to hunting certain species in Indaina and for the most part I have held my tongue.

Because as most of you know, I am the kind of person that if you ask me, "What does ATF think about...." I respond with "Ask ATF...".

However, because I am asked this question so much I decided to take it apon myself to find out. So I got ahold of my friend Mike Crider, Director of the Law Enforcement Division of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. I explained to him what I wanted to know and asked him one question. "Can an individual, for any reason, use a suppressor to take a wild animal in Indiana while hunting?" I went on to explain to him that this question incuded varmints, depredation permits, non-game animals, moles, chipmunks...you name it. I also told him about all the bad information I felt there was floating around on Al Gore's internet.

After taking some time to do some research on the subject and looking at it from a couple different angles he got back with me today via a phone call and the answer is....... NO.

Take it for what you want, challenge it in court if you feel the need, but this is the answer you will always get from me from now on. In his response he quoted directly from the law that the only people who are exempt from this are the ones directly names in the statute.

Ind. Code § 14-22-6-11 : Indiana Code - Section 14-22-6-11: Silencers prohibited

(a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not:
    (1) use or possess an apparatus designed for use with or on a firearm commonly called a silencer; or
    (2) use or possess a device used as a silencer;
    in Indiana while in the act of hunting.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.13-2007, SEC.2.

IC 14-8-2
    Chapter 2. Definitions

IC 14-8-2-39
    "Chase"
    Sec. 39. "Chase", for purposes of IC 14-22, means following wildlife without the intent to take.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.1.

IC 14-8-2-128
    "Hunt"
    Sec. 128. "Hunt", for purposes of IC 14-22, means to take a wild animal except by trapping.

IC 14-8-2-278
    "Take"
    Sec. 278. "Take" has the following meaning:
    (1) For purposes of IC 14-22, except as provided in subdivision (2):
    (A) to kill, shoot, spear, gig, catch, trap, harm, harass, or pursue a wild animal; or
    (B) to attempt to engage in such conduct.
    (2) For purposes of IC 14-22-34, the meaning set forth in IC 14-22-34-5.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Already knew that from about 2 years ago, when I ask the Southern District DNR-CO Commander about that when looking for coyotes. Question is, I have a NV scope [http://www.nightoptics-sales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=NUSAD7402MS] on my DPMS Panther Bull 20, and the scope cuts out momentarily from the muzzle flash. Does a Flash Hider exist, that screws on, does nothing but keep the muzzle flash from over riding the NV? Screws up a second shot from missing a coyote, 'cause those suckers can take off in a hurry and cover a lot of dirt before the scope comes back in.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think the people who ask this are the same ones who go buy a new slug gun the night before opening day of deer season and then blame it on the gun when they miss a deer the next morning. In the cut down version of the hunting regulations {which is provided to all sportsman free of charge at any location that sells licenses} it clearly says and quit bluntly as well.. possessing a silencer/suppressor while hunting is prohibited. of course that is paraphrased..but its in there clear as day.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule, though.:yesway:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Already knew that from about 2 years ago, when I ask the Southern District DNR-CO Commander about that when looking for coyotes. Question is, I have a NV scope [http://www.nightoptics-sales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=NUSAD7402MS] on my DPMS Panther Bull 20, and the scope cuts out momentarily from the muzzle flash. Does a Flash Hider exist, that screws on, does nothing but keep the muzzle flash from over riding the NV? Screws up a second shot from missing a coyote, 'cause those suckers can take off in a hurry and cover a lot of dirt before the scope comes back in.

I would say as long as it does not suppress then it is ok. If it did suppress then it would be illegal anyway and you would have more problems then breaking the Indiana code. (Like being in the possession of an unregistered NFA weapon.)

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    So what does this entail? Just the outer shell configuration of a suppressor with no "guts" in it? If so, who carries an item of this nature?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Use a rifle and calibre adequate to the task and don't miss.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    people seriously ask this? like relic said its plain as day in the indiana hunting and trapping guide

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    The issue is when you're taking care of "pests" that aren't mentioned in the Indiana Hunting & Trapping guide...

Exactly, I think most people know that you cant go put a suppressor on your .44 mag when deer hunting. That is black and white in the hunting and trapping guide.

What about the raccoon that has been terrorizing your trashcans and crawlspace. Assuming you live in an area where it is safe and legal to shoot a firearm, but you usually only see the coon at night. Your neighbors are close enough to possible be disturbed by a late not gunshot.

A suppressor would be great for the above example, so what constitutes "hunting" is best control included in that definition? Basically the question being ask has been drilled down to "can you legally shoot an animal in Indiana with a suppressed firearm"

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Basically the question being ask has been drilled down to "can you legally shoot an animal in Indiana with a suppressed firearm"

No, you cannot kill a wild animal without meeting the IC code definition of "taking". The IC code definition for "hunting" includes in the definition "taking" a wild animal. Therefore if you "take" a wild animal (game animal or not) you hunted it. If you take it with a suppressor you hunted it with a suppressor and you broke the Indiana code.

The only exception to this rule period is here:

(a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.

IC 14-8-2-128
    "Hunt"
    Sec. 128. "Hunt", for purposes of IC 14-22, means to take a wild animal except by trapping.

IC 14-8-2-278
    "Take"
    (A) to kill, shoot, spear, gig, catch, trap, harm, harass, or pursue a wild animal; or

Last edited:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    thats it ..... im gonna let some cows out of the pasture & into the woods.
    THERE, problem solved..... Im hunting cow from now on, because its not a "wild animal" !!!

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    What I would like to know is why an "employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency" is exempt and I am not? What is the duty of their job that allows them to use a sound suppressor? What makes them superior to others in the use of a sound suppressor?

chuck

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    No, you cannot kill a wild animal without meeting the IC code definition of "taking". The IC code definition for "hunting" includes in the definition "taking" a wild animal. Therefore if you "take" a wild animal (game animal or not) you hunted it. If you take it with a suppressor you hunted it with a suppressor and you broke the Indiana code.

The only exception to this rule period is here:

IC 14-8-2-128
    "Hunt"

IC 14-8-2-278
    "Take"

Correct. I wasn't asking the question I was simply stating what the question is that is being addressed.

For the Record, I will never do anything illegal or unsafe with my Supressor:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom