"Witness Protection" AOW--anybody still make these?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    Seems like the Serbu Super Shorty is the AOW to have these days, but for something that's fun to shoot & cool looking, I think I'd prefer the older style "Witness Protection" shotgun. Can these still be had anywhere?

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Cheap is good! I have the itch for a Serbu myself. I know the current in thing is "breacher" shotguns, might run a search that way and see what comes up.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Back in the mid 80s I read in ShotgunNews that the marshals that worked in the witness protection program were getting new shotguns. I called the B&H Gunrack in Merit Island, Florida who was having regular 870s turned into SBS with “WP870” engraved below the ejection port and had one more added to their build. I had a Fort Wayne gun shop that handled class III firearms to take care of the paperwork. It took 18 months for all the modifications to be done, but the wait was worth is. It came with beautiful wood tear drop stock and foregrip and the barrels had been threaded for a choke tube. Also, there was a plate that fit under the mag tube cap that hung down so your hand could not slip off the foregrip and get in front of the barrel. These 870s had been reblued with a high gloss finish. That’s one firearm I should not have sold. Below is a pic I found on the web and is not mine, but is nearly identical.
    witnessprotection870900oc3.jpg

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I just got a distributor flyer that featured AOW Mossberg 590s... barrel cut flush with the end of the mag tube (probably 14"), and no buttstock (or pistol grip). Add your own pistol grip and it's off to the races. Price was about what you'd expect to pay for a regular 590.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just got a distributor flyer that featured AOW Mossberg 590s... barrel cut flush with the end of the mag tube (probably 14"), and no buttstock (or pistol grip). Add your own pistol grip and it's off to the races. Price was about what you'd expect to pay for a regular 590.
    Put the Knoxx breacher grip on it and call it a "Gentle shotgun to shoot for any occasion, weddings, reunions, even B&E's in your home."

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I can't bring myself to spend that much money on a Mossburg. I have a Remington 870 Witness Protection built by Automatic Weoponry(now Wilson / Scattergun Technology). Remington is now making thier own aow for commercial sale. check with MidWest Gun Exchange in Mishawauka, They can find you one for about the same price as the Serbu.

One more thing ATF will not approve SBR / Shotguns because of Indiana's Law on sawed off shotguns. You must buy an AOW. ATF made this ruling in the last couple of years. They granfathered all of the past short barrell shotguns.

One more thing and I will get off the sopbox. If you have an AOW YOU CANNOT PUT A FULL STOCK ON IT. YOU HAVE TO STAY WITH A PISTOL GRIP IN INDIANA, OR IT IS CONSIDERED A SAWED OFF SHOTGUN.

Last edited by a moderator:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

Hmmm very interesting. I may have to look more into that. Although I would really love a Serbu or KEG. Dangit so many choices!!!

Top Bottom