300 Blackout vs 300 whisper, whats the difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Ok, been thinking about another AR build. Possibly for a suppressor host. I'm starting to look around to see what else is out there and came across these two.
    What is the difference?
    Is it the same round?
    Which is the easiest to reload.
    Which one will stick around the longest?
    Which is the better one for the AR platform?

Thanks in advance for the help/advise!:ingo:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have been wondering what the difference is also.
    I had an AR suppressed in 300 Whisper. It is an ok round, I shot it alot but subsonic the ballistics were like lobbing a rock. I got bored with and sold it finally Personally it one round I don't miss.

It was pretty quiet though, comparatively speaking. It probably would make a good subsonic CQB round but I was shooting 100 yards and beyond with a 240 gr bullet at 1050 fps
    I really had to know my bullet drop at 150 and 200 yards :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    You can find more info on another forum (forget the name now) about the differences, but basically the wildcat version was catering to single shot rifles. AAC took the concept and developed it to work in the AR suppressed and supersonic as well. Most of the loading data for the Whisper(R) and Blackout(R) are very different.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    The Gemtech folks at the Hush shoot got to demo the .300 whisper. WOW!!! through the can it was very quiet. The lady is gonna hate me. Think I'm planning on making this mine. $$$ The July Guns & Ammo has a good little write up on it.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    whole thread on ar15.com about it. short version is whisper/fireball round started life as a .221 case, where blackout is a blown out 5.56 case. (though you can make whisper from 223 but thats a whole nother can o worms)

rsilvers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    The Gemtech folks at the Hush shoot got to demo the .300 whisper. WOW!!! through the can it was very quiet. The lady is gonna hate me. Think I'm planning on making this mine. $$$ The July Guns & Ammo has a good little write up on it.

Actually they brought a 300 AAC BLACKOUT PWS upper:

MK109 Upper, 300 Blk - PWS Uppers - PWS

They were shooting Hornady 300 Whisper(R) ammo in it. Hornady ammo was specifically designed to be compatible with the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

One should not shoot 300 AAC BLACKOUT in a 300 Whisper chamber, as that would be like shooting 5.56mm in a 223 chamber. 300 AAC BLACKOUT has higher velocity potential and is generally loaded hotter (I am talking about full power ammo).

300 AAC BLACKOUT is an open standard that about 45 companies have announced products for. It is the final SAAMI standard of the 300-221 concept.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Actually they brought a 300 AAC BLACKOUT PWS upper:

MK109 Upper, 300 Blk - PWS Uppers - PWS

They were shooting Hornady 300 Whisper(R) ammo in it. Hornady ammo was specifically designed to be compatible with the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

One should not shoot 300 AAC BLACKOUT in a 300 Whisper chamber, as that would be like shooting 5.56mm in a 223 chamber. 300 AAC BLACKOUT has higher velocity potential and is generally loaded hotter (I am talking about full power ammo).

300 AAC BLACKOUT is an open standard that about 45 companies have announced products for. It is the final SAAMI standard of the 300-221 concept.

Welcome to INGO Robert. Your expierence and expertise would be a great asset to the INGO world. We hope you drop in from time to time! :ingo:

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I was at the HUSH shoot and was sitting with the NFAtalk.com guys with all the sound equipment when the Gemtech guys metered the Whisper vs the Blackout. Fired the weapon unsuppressed with both and then did a string of 10 rounds with both ammos. Honestly, they came out the same, with only 1-2 dB in variance, but they will eventually post the details on the other forum. Either way it was pretty impressive to have such a large slug fired from such a short barrel be hearing safe.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was at the HUSH shoot and was sitting with the NFAtalk.com guys with all the sound equipment when the Gemtech guys metered the Whisper vs the Blackout. Fired the weapon unsuppressed with both and then did a string of 10 rounds with both ammos. Honestly, they came out the same, with only 1-2 dB in variance, but they will eventually post the details on the other forum. Either way it was pretty impressive to have such a large slug fired from such a short barrel be hearing safe.

We metered the difference between the two ammo. We had Hornady 300 Whisper 208gr Subsonic and Remington 300AAC Blackout 220gr Subsonic ammo. They were basically the same in terms of noise. Since Kel was having back issue I was more then happy to fire the strings that were tested. :D

Top Bottom