Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cutting down an AR15 barrel

So, I've been searching for quite awhile for a SBR upper that is inexpensive and of good quality. I've been waiting for PSA to come out with some shorty upper, but from an email I got from them a couple of weeks ago, it's still going to be some time before they get any in.

One of the fortunate things about my job is the availability of a complete tool room. I've almost talked myself into getting a 16" upper and cutting it down to 11.5". My question for you, is which upper? Will a midlength gas system PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Upper - 16" - Complete Uppers - AR-15 allow me to cut it down that much, or should I go with a carbine gas system? PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 CMV Upper - 16" - Complete Uppers - AR-15

Thanks!

I would think you should prolly go with the carbine...but I'm not familiar with the exact measurements on the shorty's
    Son, the first amendment protects you from the government, Not from me.

Quote Originally Posted by the1kidd03 View Post
    I would think you should prolly go with the carbine...but I'm not familiar with the exact measurements on the shorty's
    I have both a carbine and a midlength AR, and I'm pretty sure the midlength would work. I guess my main concern would be the different profile on the barrels. If I cut it off and rethread on a M4 style barrel, I think were the shoulder of the flash hider would be where the undercut of the barrel is. Going with a heavy barrel might be the thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MontereyC6 View Post
    I have both a carbine and a midlength AR, and I'm pretty sure the midlength would work. I guess my main concern would be the different profile on the barrels. If I cut it off and rethread on a M4 style barrel, I think were the shoulder of the flash hider would be where the undercut of the barrel is. Going with a heavy barrel might be the thing to do.
    yeah I think you're right....the 203 cut-out is right in the area you would want to thread.....should use a heavy barrel
    Son, the first amendment protects you from the government, Not from me.

Do the 16" and 11.5' barrels use the same size gas port?
    The problems in America today are due to the people that work for a living now being outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I'm no AR expert, but typically the answer is no. Usually a shorter barrel will have a larger hole.
    RIFLEMAN

I love 'lovemywoods'' woods!

I wondered about the gas port. The location wouldn't change, but a larger gas port would allow enough gas. Anyone have a clue to what diameter hole is needed?

Hey Monterey, in that email they sent you, did say exactly how long it might be until they get those shorty uppers in, or did they just a long time?
    NFAddict

why not just build an upper?

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadV8 View Post
    why not just build an upper?
    I looked a lot into building,and the price difference of cutting down a PSA, and unless you can find a cheap barrel and BCG for the build, I think the PSA is gonna be cheaper. And it will most likely be better quality than throwing together a bunch of random cheaply made parts to get the price down to equal PSA.
    NFAddict

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast