• ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    how do i get a full auto machine gun?
    example: i find a parts kit for a ppsh 41, it has been torch cut to batfe specs.
    i somehow with my limited knowledge, miracle this thing back together. i take it out and fire it, and it is full auto. what the hell do i do now? please fill in any steps i have forgotten. i know very little about this sort of thing. is it even legal at all? why are parts kits only like 200 dollars if it is legal? Why havent more people done this? thanks for helping this moron.
    Ric

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    There is no way to register it, you take it back apart and fix whatever went wrong. It has to be semi-auto only. Otherwise your in for some serious butthurt.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    They were registered pre-1986

You can buy a Transferable full-auto gun that was registered before 1986
    i am completely lost. i have to build a time machine first? and then build the gun?
    yes that was a joke.
    so if it is a real ppsh 41, then they were all built full auto, how do i make it semi auto?
    and just to be really stupid, why in the hell would a weapon registered pre 86, be less lethal than one registered today?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    i am completely lost. i have to build a time machine first? and then build the gun?
    yes that was a joke.
    so if it is a real ppsh 41, then they were all built full auto, how do i make it semi auto?
    and just to be really stupid, why in the hell would a weapon registered pre 86, be less lethal than one registered today?

Its not less lethal.... its more that they were grandfathered in after they made the new manufacturer of full autos for civilians illegal in 1986.

As far as the semi-auto parts... :dunno: no idea

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    example: i find a parts kit for a ppsh 41, it has been torch cut to batfe specs.
    i somehow with my limited knowledge, miracle this thing back together. i take it out and fire it, and it is full auto. what the hell do i do now? please fill in any steps i have forgotten. ........

Go to federal prison for 10 years and pay a huge fine?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Its not less lethal.... its more that they were grandfathered in after they made the new manufacturer of full autos for civilians illegal in 1986.

As far as the semi-auto parts... :dunno: no idea
    this is very depressing.
    i believe the ppsh 41 would be a very fun toy to play with, full auto or semi auto. i just dont know where to begin. either way i would have to go class 3 for sbr.
    just seems like a lot of useless hoops to jump through.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The law is stupid, I know. But, I'm going to follow that law to a T until it's changed. My kind can't handle prison very well. Serious butthurt is an understatement. ;)

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    As stated, it is legally impossible to build a machinegun from a parts kit. If you did want a semi auto version of the ppsh-41 you could check out the Shotgun News gunsmithing book. I bought it and it is loaded with very detailed builds about building semi auto guns from full auto parts kits. I dont have the book with me here but Im pretty sure they did a story on the ppsh-41 and built a semi auto gun from a parts kit. If its something your wanting I would definitely reccommend that book. If its just a machinegun you want, a Reising would probably be about the closest thing to a ppsh-41 that is in a somewhat affordable price range.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It sounds like you're missing a couple of key pieces of information. In 1986, the Firearm Owners Protection Act was passed. An amendment, called the Hughes Amendment, was tacked on at the last minute (some say illegally, but that's another story). The Hughes Amendment specifies that no new transferable machine guns may be created after May 19, 1986. Any existing machine guns still on the NFA register are still legal to own. All other machine guns are called "Post-1986 Dealer Samples", or "post-samples". They are all owned by government agencies, manufacturers, or dealers licensed to sell such items to government agencies.

You, as a civilian, can only own a machine gun that was built and registered prior to May 19, 1986. In no case can you manufacture or re-manufacture a firearm into a full-auto. I recommend checking out the INGO FAQ for more info:

What exactly is a Machine gun?
    Sounds like a dumb question, but it is not.

Section 5845(b) of the NFA defines “machine gun” as
    “any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot,
    automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the
    trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part
    designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and
    intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of
    parts from which a machine gun can be assembled
    This means that the part that causes an otherwise semi-auto firearm to become a machine gun is itself the 'machine gun'. The popular examples of this being the Drop In Auto Sear and the Lightning Link for the AR series of rifles. These items by themselves are just hunks of metal, but by definition, they are a machine gun because of what they are designed to do. The nuts and bolts of it are that if you pull the trigger one time and more than one round goes off, you have yourself a machine gun.

While machine guns are legal to own, only machine guns manufactured and registered before May 19, 1986 are legal. Every machine gun that is legal for a non-dealer person to possess was manufactured 20+ years ago. This is why the price is so high. What there is is all there is. There can never be any new ones. Nope, not even if you build your own (see below).

But I see new machine guns on Youtube all the time!
    Well, obviously machine guns can still be built or our military and police would not have any, they just cannot be owned by private individuals. The new ones you see are either post-1986-ban dealer samples (or "post samples") owned by SOTs or they are owned by individuals outside the jurisdiction of the United States. No machine gun built after 1986 is transferable to a private citizen.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...6185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post1761124

So, to answer your question "How can I own a machine gun?", the answer is to find a transferable one and buy it. It will be at least 25 years old.

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    die-hard-1988--01-630-75.jpg

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    As stated, it is legally impossible to build a machinegun from a parts kit. If you did want a semi auto version of the ppsh-41 you could check out the Shotgun News gunsmithing book. I bought it and it is loaded with very detailed builds about building semi auto guns from full auto parts kits. I dont have the book with me here but Im pretty sure they did a story on the ppsh-41 and built a semi auto gun from a parts kit. If its something your wanting I would definitely reccommend that book. If its just a machinegun you want, a Reising would probably be about the closest thing to a ppsh-41 that is in a somewhat affordable price range.
    were do i get one.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    thank you all for your comments, and i too do not want to go to prison, i have S**t to do tomorrow. if i built a parts kit, how do i regester it as a sbr? i have seen the lengthened version, and it sucks. i would like it to look like the original as possible.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    were do i get one.

Several of our advertisers are licensed Class 3 dealers and can help you find what you're looking for. I recommend trying one (or more) of them first.

if i built a parts kit, how do i regester it as a sbr?

Registering an SBR is a different question and has been answered in several other threads in this sub-forum. I suggest checking there first. Also, please read the INGO FAQ linked above and in my sig as it details the process and will hopefully answer some of your inevitable follow-up questions. :ingo:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...6185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post1761124

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I remember seeing an ad in the Shotgun News recently of someone selling PPSH-41's. I believe they were asking $7500 a pop.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I remember seeing an ad in the Shotgun News recently of someone selling PPSH-41's. I believe they were asking $7500 a pop.
    wow. i did not mention, i am very cheap. it seems like a fun project if i get the kit for 200. i really like these weapons, but for 7500. not so much.
    hell it is probably to advanced for me anyway. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom