• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Well my wait for my can finally ended today, and like any other person who has been waiting for their NFA item I rushed to pick it up and hit the range. Well my happiness soon turned into depression. I bought this can from Orion Arms way back in Oct of 2012 when I spoke with a HTA rep. He sold me on the can based off its ability to suppress 300BLK. Now I don't want to bad mouth this company at all because the guy was cool and the can is well made, but I can honestly say it is just for looks right now. I loaded up a couple of mags with factory 220gr Remington ammo and was expecting a crack on the first shot and that's what I got, but this thing never quieted down. After the first mag I had already took the can apart to see if I could see anything that would be causing this, and I found nothing. Has anyone else experimented with this line of suppressors or had any of these problems? All the videos I watched sounded great but this is not what I experienced, and like I said I am in no way bad mouthing this company nor do I consider this a negative review. I am just looking for some answers or tips because I am not really wanting to waste this $500 and buy another can and wait another year to use the thing.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Let a friend shoot it and stand a few feet away. If you're shooting 300blk out of an AR it can seem noisier than it actually is with the ejection port, bolt carrier, and buffer so close to your head. What part of the state are you in? If your close you can hear my 762SDN. I assume your rounds are staying subsonic?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The 220gr Rem ammo should be subsonic (it's rated at around 1,015 FPS out of a 16" barrel). If the OP is saying it's still supersonic (I assume that's what you mean about hearing the crack), then something isn't right. Are you sure it's the 220gr and not the 125gr? I suppose it could be possible a box got swapped somehow (a 220 gr box got filled with 125gr rounds).

If it's not supersonic and the suppressor is just loud, I guess it's possible something is up with the can itself. You could contact HTA and see if they can take a look at it. I've never shot 300BLK through an HTA can, but I have shot 7.62x39 from an AK and it definitely quieted it down (not Hollywood quiet mind you, but apparently hearing safe).

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    To be honest, when I put rounds out of this can it sounds like I'm shooting subs with out a can. There is no sound difference with or with out. Very disappointed and it's looking like I'll be starting from scratch and purchasing a new can.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I have both the the guardian 9 and the 762ak and for the 300 blk subs the guardian 9 works better but the 762ak is a great all around can I use it for 556 9mm and 300blk supers. The 762ak can sounds much better if you step away form it.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I have both the the guardian 9 and the 762ak and for the 300 blk subs the guardian 9 works better but the 762ak is a great all around can I use it for 556 9mm and 300blk supers. The 762ak can sounds much better if you step away form it.

To give an analogy this can honestly sounds like a barrel extension. I'm going to try again today with some handloads. I honestly don't know what else to do besides chaulk this up as a loss and buy a sdn6 like I should have in the first place.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    To give an analogy this can honestly sounds like a barrel extension. I'm going to try again today with some handloads. I honestly don't know what else to do besides chaulk this up as a loss and buy a sdn6 like I should have in the first place.

Have you bothered to contact Huntertown Arms yet, as was suggested? It seems like a very logical first step, rather than chuck it in the trash and start all over with a new can. I'd be interested in hearing how they respond.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I watched a coworker of mine shoot his on an H&R 300blk with Remington 220 subs. I was not impressed, and I honestly couldn't tell a difference with it on or off. I was about 10 ft behind him when he was shooting.

JagsFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    That's how I feel it sounds exactly the same shooting subs with the can on or off. No answer from HTA so far.

Last edited:

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Can you do a video of it and post on youtube? I've heard a couple people say that about the huntertown arms. I've though about adding their brand to my collection but am getting a little skeptical. If your anywhere near bloomington, I would love to hear it. Can compare to my cans.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you do a video of it and post on youtube? I've heard a couple people say that about the huntertown arms. I've though about adding their brand to my collection but am getting a little skeptical. If your anywhere near bloomington, I would love to hear it. Can compare to my cans.

Unless it's recorded with really good equipment chances are high that the sound processing software in the camera will "clip" the sound because it will be deemed "too loud".

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I thought 300blk on an AR platform was supposed to be the quietest suppressed cartridge besides 22LR, so none of this makes sense to me. Multiple suppressor owners are saying it is almost as loud as without? I've never heard anyone say that about a 5.56 suppressor (which reminds me, I need to test mine still).

Tagged.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was considering a kestrel myself but had several people tell me they weren't as good as other offerings and then I had a chance to hear the 5.56 compared to a YHM and there was a difference to me. The Huntertown is probably the better option at the price point they are at however if that is your goal

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I thought 300blk on an AR platform was supposed to be the quietest suppressed cartridge besides 22LR, so none of this makes sense to me. Multiple suppressor owners are saying it is almost as loud as without? I've never heard anyone say that about a 5.56 suppressor (which reminds me, I need to test mine still).

Tagged.

I think the question here is whether the huntertown is a quiet suppressor, not if the 300 blackout is a quiet round. I have a 300 blackout with a YHM can on and it is extremely quiet. Not as quiet as a 22 suppressed, but not far off.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I just got my YHM can and its shockingly quiet with 556. I purchased it from the SSNFA video showing the difference between the 556 can and the 308 can. I'm still looking for some subsonic 300blk rounds. In the HA's defense, i've never heard a "quiet" AK

Top Bottom